Smoke Detectors

Hi all

Does anyone have a problem with the smoke detector in their van? because i do. Back in the summer evenings and through the night the detector would sound for no apparent reason, hence i took the battery out. I decided the unit must be faulty, it was three years old so i purchased a new one, then last night when i was at home i heard the alarm, i went to investigate and could find no reason for it. is it just the humidity that is causing it (even though i run a dehumidifier) or another faulty alarm? I would be interested to hear from you all.

Dave

Hi all

Does anyone have a problem with the smoke detector in their van? because i do. Back in the summer evenings and through the night the detector would sound for no apparent reason, hence i took the battery out. I decided the unit must be faulty, it was three years old so i purchased a new one, then last night when i was at home i heard the alarm, i went to investigate and could find no reason for it. is it just the humidity that is causing it (even though i run a dehumidifier) or another faulty alarm? I would be interested to hear from you all.

Dave

44005[/snapback]

Had a look on this site http://www. cyberstreet. com/firedept/detector. htm

For extra protection, NFPA suggests installing detectors in dining rooms, furnace rooms, utility rooms, and hallways. Smoke detectors are not recommended for kitchens, bathrooms, or garages - where cooking fumes, steam or exhaust fumes could set off false alarms - or for attics and other unheated spaces where humidity and temperature changes might affect a detector's operation.

When I bought my two year old Bailey privately, I noticed the reports for the service records were both marked as "alarm without battery". I put one in, and sure enough, the alarm started. I changed the unit for an identical one and it's been no further trouble. They should maybe stop making them on Friday afternoons!

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

The smoke alarm in my Senator you only have to pass wind and it goes off!!

Desperado

44017[/snapback]

Safety issues are serious and of paramount importance to all 'But' if what you write is true my advice would be:-

1. Make sure you replace your battery or the unit ASAP.

2. Re - position the alarm.

2. Revise your diet. ...lol ;)

Dave

Ours only goes off when we do toast,

But why do they put them so near the cooker anyway ;)

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Guest Coachman

Hi All I have put my van away for the winter. So I have taken my main Battery home so I could charge it up once a mounth . But I went to see If all was o/k today and my smoke alarm was going off not all the time but one bleep every 15- 20 sec. Idont no if the Battery was low but I have taken it out now. do you think I should change It ??? John

Hi  All  I have put my van away for the winter. So I have taken my main Battery  home so I could charge it up once a mounth . But I went to see If all was o/k today and my smoke alarm was going off not all the time but one bleep every 15- 20 sec. Idont no if the Battery was low but I have taken it out now. do you think I should change It ???  John

44061[/snapback]

The battery beeping periodically is useually a sign that the battery needs replacing.

Here is fuel for the fire, I reckon caravans are too small a confined space for smoke alarms.

As others have already said with most you only need to pass wind and they go off.

Take the battery out and fry lol.

Pete

I agree with the general comment, the smoke alarm in my Bailey Ranger has been a pain from the day the van was new. Every breakfeast time if cooking or using the toaster the alarm goes off. As most seem to do, have ended up on many an occassion by disconnecting the battery.

Alarm seems over sensitive for size of van or incorrectly positioned.

Have thought of installing an overide switch to allow for an early breakfeast without waking the site and other occupants in the van.(Hush button is ok but alarm has usually gone off by the time the button is pressed)

JONO

The smoke detector never went off in my last Adria at all, main reason why was that it was in the drawer and I never got around to putting it up.

On the new van the dealers have kindly put one in already but the one supplied by Adria is still in the cupboard as well, I can only presume by this that it is not a requirement on the continent to have one fitted but they must supply one when exported in to England.

Regards

JON

Here is fuel for the fire, I reckon caravans are too small a confined space for smoke alarms.

As others have already said with most you only need to pass wind and they go off.

44070[/snapback]

I agree just look at all the topics about thermostats sited in the wrong location due to limited choice, btw I have a lpg /knock out gas dectector that suffers badly with the problem you mentioned :rolleyes:

Fiat Rimor Europeo 69P Motorhome

Guest Coachman
The battery beeping periodically is useually a sign that the battery needs replacing.

Take the battery out and fry lol.

Pete

44070[/snapback]

Thanks for that Pete. When I go up to the Van again it will be out . John

Just to update my earlier post. You can buy smoke alarms with 10 year (not 5 year) lithium battery and 'HUSH' button.

The alarm on our Europa is situated opposite the cooker to the left of the door and has never proved to be a problem as long as you have adequate ventilation when cooking. The rooflight and window in the kitchen area are usually more than enough.

If the alarm does sound a false alarm,then a push of the 'HUSH' button gives around 8 minutes of reduced sensitivity.

Frank

I you don't have a smoke alarm, how do you know when dinner is done :lol::lol:

Repositioning, I think this could be the answer, :)

(& a bit of whitetack in the old holes)

Paul B

Just to update my earlier post. You can buy smoke alarms with 10 year (not 5 year) lithium battery and 'HUSH' button.

The alarm on our Europa is situated opposite the cooker to the left of the door and has never proved to be a problem as long as you have adequate ventilation when cooking. The rooflight and window in the kitchen area are usually more than enough.

If the alarm does sound a false alarm,then a push of the 'HUSH' button gives around 8 minutes of reduced sensitivity.

Frank

44175[/snapback]

Hi Frank,

Where can you get these from I've not seen any, and I'm ready for new ones at home

Thanks Paul

Paul B

Try Ebay. I have bought several smoke and CO alarms at very reasonable prices.

Here is a typical smoke alarm with 10year battery. You should be able to get one cheaper than this. The other alternative is a standard alarm with a lithium PP3 battery,but the batteries are not cheap.

http://cgi. ebay. co. uk/BRAND-NEW-BOXED-EI-E. ..1QQcmdZViewItem

This is a better price.

http://cgi. ebay. co. uk/BRAND-NEW-PREMIUN-10. ..1QQcmdZViewItem

Frank

Thanks Frank, much appreciated :)

Paul B