Barbie Or Pub

gizmoman

When people ask for details about a particular site, often they ask about the pubs in the area. It makes me wonder how many people; when caravanning, spend their evenings in pubs/gardens or having a barbie and a few beers/glasses of wine (many!!!)on site.

We always have a barbie weather permitting, otherwise a takeaway, stir-fry etc. Never go to pubs.

Unless we are overseas, when we go to restaurants each night.

What do you do??

Shop at the local markets - especially overseas - and then eat in/outside the van BUT the wife prefers to use the cooker/oven/grill in the van rather than a bar-b-que.

However we will occasionally treat ourselves to 'pub' meal.

There was a proper pub on site at the CT/CC Bonfire rally doing pints at £1. 25 but we still decided to do our own thing in the end with a few tinnies in the gazebo and a few gaelic coffees in Paul and Sandra B's van later – much better if you want to have a conversation :o

Fiat Rimor Europeo 69P Motorhome

As we usually go away with others (2 or 3 units) we always BBQ when the weather permits or take it in turns to cook in the 'vans and eat in the awnings when it doesn't. It's a social thing.

We never go to Pubs/Resturants unless it's a VERY special occaision such as Birthdays/Anniversary's.

All down to the weather - fine/dry/warm, and it's outside with good beer and wine, conversation, and favourite CD's (played at a level just audible by ourselves) and the occasional BBQ. Sometimes or when it's raining, it's a family pub. We rarely eat out, and when we do it's usually lunch.

Normally it a bbq for us with a nice case of beer and relaxation around the van especially with kids this works for us so as they can still have the freedom to play and I must be getting old as I cant stand the thought of nosey pups nowadays much prefer to stay at the van with good company to chat to.

Regards

JON

Very seldom eat out but enjoy going for a pint late on a Saturday afternoon at a local or two. Prefer my wife's cooking to some of the over priced rubbished served.

We go as a family of 5 and so going to a pub is very costly. We bbq an awful lot and take plenty of beer/wine/bacardi & coke/cider with us. O and of course plenty of juice for the kids. Spend most evenings chilling out with glass or two and a good bbq. Usually invite friends out too and so it it more of a gathering and very sociable.

Emma

BBQ even in the winter under the Fiammi porch.

With Dogs we prefer to eat on site and even the dogs love it :o wonder why? :rolleyes:

Our cooker rarely get used :blink:

We love our slow cooker too ;) those bung it all in stews ;)

Mainly BBQ/cooker, rarely pubs.

We have an eight-year-old with us and she gets bored sat in the pub, much happier around the 'camp'.

I'm thinking of investing in a small wood-burning chimnea for the chillier evenings, sitting outside with a beer or a wine all adds to the fun for us.

All that said, a pub now and again is nice and there's no washing up!

Normally eat out, i think it might have something to do with my cooking skills and anything to avoid the washing up. you can't beat the smell of grilled meats on the barbie :rolleyes:

All this talk is making me hungry. :lol:

Dave.

Not so bothered about pubs, you get ready for the pub, then when you get back you need a shower to get the smell of smoke off of you, and your clothes stink. :angry:

(although not too bad in the summer when you can have a drink outside)

Prefer bbq and the odd glass or two :lol: at the caravan

I suppose that's why our get-togethers are so good, nice drinks, good food and good company, (and no smoke :) )

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

When in France we usually have snacks out lunchtimes but then cook on the barbecue in the evenings. We usually start off with hors d'ouvres such as prawns or mussels, french bread and salad. Seafood is so much cheaper in France! We then cook our meat and veg, such as courgettes, mushrooms, peppers and tomatoes, on the barbecue grill. We have a separate gas ring on which we can do potatoes if required. B)

We do the same in the UK, weather permitting, but usually omit the first course. If the weather is bad and the evenings very dark, we usually cook inside the van. We have an end kitchen in our Lunar so cooking smells are confined to that end. Much better than having fumes etc filling up the living area! :)

We sometimes have a take-away and very occasionally eat out.

We much prefer relaxing in the van or awning with our bottles of wine and liqueurs.

Christmas, New Year, birthdays and holidays are the only times when I allow myself liqueurs, so it is lovely to indulge and not have to stagger back from the pub. :blink:;);)

Take a picnic out with us every day, 'cos we just got fed up of trying to find somewhere reaonably priced, serving smallish portions, which are all we want, and where we can park the car in the shade because the dog has to stay there. Then BBQ most nights, though we now use a Cadac which can cook other things as well, have a few cans, or glasses of something and just chill out. Can't be bothered getting ready to go to the pub by the time we've eaten, and have been very disappointed by some pub food. If the weather's bad, we might have a take-away, of I'll cook in the van. I'm afraid pubs don't make much out of us! Also, have to agree with comments about cigarette smoke in pubs. :ph34r: You need a smog mask in some of them!

> Barbie Or Pub, What do you do ??

Never before figured it as an "either, or" question. .... :unsure:

What's wrong with having a barbie, then going to a pub for a few pints of good ale??? :D

Or vice versa. ........ :unsure:

. ..................I'm thinking of investing in a small wood-burning chimnea for the chillier evenings. ...................

44040[/snapback]

Consider the anti-social side to this, please! Also you will find that the Club sites ban "camp fires". Any "live" fire is extremely dangerous on a camp site.

Agree with navarac, I have a chimanea on the patio and never use it because of the smoke it generates. I sometimes throw the BBQ remnants in it when we've finished cooking (the briquettes rather than the food!)

It's also quite heavy being cast iron so would never consider it as a camping necessity.

Consider the anti-social side to this, please! Also you will find that the Club sites ban "camp fires".  Any "live" fire is extremely dangerous on a camp site.

44253[/snapback]

Agree with navarac, I have a chimanea on the patio and never use it because of the smoke it generates. I sometimes throw the BBQ remnants in it when we've finished cooking (the briquettes rather than the food!)

It's also quite heavy being cast iron so would never consider it as a camping necessity.

44339[/snapback]

Has either of you considered the anti-social side of BBQ's in general? Do BBQ's not generate smoke?

As an individual, I always adhere to the site rules of the site I am on but I do visit sites that allow the burning of fires. It is for this purpose that I have considered the purchase of a clay chimnea, which is not so different to a charcoal BBQ.

I personally try to enjoy myself without causing others discomfort. If a site allows the burning of 'camp fires' and you get pleasure from burning a fire, a chimnea seems like a very safe and controlled option to me!

I certainly don't see it as a necessity myself, just something to keep me warm outside on a chilly evening and where permitted.

Never before figured it as an "either, or" question. .... :unsure:

What's wrong with having a barbie, then going to a pub for a few pints of good ale???  :D

Or vice versa. ........ :unsure:

44249[/snapback]

Here, here. I'm with you on this one! :D

Here, here. I'm with you on this one! :D

44398[/snapback]

I'm with you guys. Both : couple of scoops whilst doing the barbie then a walk or drive out later ( walk preferably if not being taxied) and I also suspect the chiminea comment was a little tongue in cheek. Maybe a full fire surround to hang the christmas stockings on, now that its almost that time of year. Gives Santa more access as well.

Bob

Glad to see we are with the majority on this. Barby with a couple of glasses. (purely medicinal of course) Seeing what other nationalities barby whilst we are abroad has greatly increased our menus.

Maybe a full fire surround to hang the christmas stockings on, now that its almost that time of year. Gives Santa more access as well.

Bob

44465[/snapback]

Found on the internet:-

Please note:-

This year Santas' sleigh will not be able to land on roofs. Instead the sleigh will need to land at gound level. This is to avoid any risk of damage to slates and tiles resulting in insurance claims. In order to deliver presents, Santa will only be able to enter your premises via an unlocked door and not via chimneys as in previous years. This is to reduce the risk of serious injury to Santa.

May we thank you in anticipation of your complete understanding and cooperation

Signed

The Elf and Safety Commission

Edited by Rostrevor