Snow Chains

hymerman

:unsure: Hi

i seem to remember reading somewhere that if you drive in Spain during the winter that you should have snow chains.

Is this true.

43917[/snapback]

Use to be a requirement in Germany (not sure about now-a-days, or Spain).

Hi Hymerman

See you asked the same question in another place ;) We too are off to Spain in the new year and I must confess I had not even thought about chains and Navarac we go to Germany to visit mum-in-law in Munich and have never ever bothered with chains - mind you we have only been doing it 40 years :)

Guest Hobbybod
Chains are a legal requirement in the French Pyrennees under snow conditions.

43953[/snapback]

And AFAIK on the Spanish side as well, in similar conditions.

Certainly a requirement in all the Alpine countries during winter snow.

I have driven through Spain from north to south every January for the past twelve years and not once have I been delayed because of snow on the roads. That's not to say that there is no snow - there's plenty laying about. But also many snowploughs standing by ready to go into action.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

Obviously if you are going into the mountains during the snowy season then chains will be required BUT from my personal experience if you do not have chains and the authorities think you will need them they just will not let you go over the pass and insist you find another route - whether that be by tunnel or a long way round they will normally also tell you the best route.

The best advice is to avoid mountain roads during the snowy season and you can get all the way from the UK to southern Spain/France/Italy etc without having to go over mountain passes.

As I said earlier I have been visiting Munich for the past 40 years and driving on the Continent since 1955 and I have never ever carried chains. And as a BTW when I say driving on the Continent since 1955 I actually lived and worked there as a HGV/PSV driver for approximately 10 years.

However if anyone is concerned or are likely to go into the mountains then do get your self a set BUT wait until you get to the area where you will be able to buy them at a fraction of the cost in the UK - for example I saw them last winter in Toom (Germany's B&Q) for give away prices.

According to Volvo my wheels are not suitable for snow chains because they are 45 section low profile tyres. Not sure if this is true but the tyres certainly don't look deep enough to take them.

According to Volvo my wheels are not suitable for snow chains because they are 45 section low profile tyres. Not sure if this is true but the tyres certainly don't look deep enough to take them.

44085[/snapback]

Hi Keat

I'm on silly tyres too and my handbook says chains are OK, but the chains do

have to fit of course, I paid £9 for mine one summer in France and they are

the diamond pattern that are supposedly better than ladder chains.

Only used chains once, a few years ago in France on a skiing holiday and we

literally needed them for the last 50 yards to our chalet - or rather didn't as it

was clear in 'town' but when you have a gendarme (sp?) with a gun you don't

argue.

Legend has it that if you pass the 'Aire de chainage' sign (Chain here layby) in

the mountains and become stuck you will if lucky be given a few minutes to get

your 'stuff' from the car before it is ploughed off the road which is ridiculous it

couldn't happen could it in a civilised country- Oh France better chain up then. ..

I see by some strange coincidence you are at Knaresborough at Christmas as well

as us - do you want to borrow a set just in case?

neil

Hii,

Has anybody tried to tow with chain or "tyres with nails (?)" ?

There is a nice lake close to my home but the last 10 km (little incline up) is covered by either snow or ice in winter. Can I tow my caravan on it?

Regards

Dogan

Hii,

Has anybody tried to tow with chain or "tyres with nails (?)" ?

There is a nice lake close to my home but the last 10 km (little incline up) is covered by either snow or ice in winter. Can I tow my caravan on it?

Regards

Dogan

44194[/snapback]

When I was stationed in Germany we used to have 'studded' tyres in the winter and we towed all sorts of trailers without a problem BUT many countries have now outlawed tyre studs as they can rip the road surface to pieces.

Studs are much better than chains for ice but not a lot of use on loose snow.

Hi Keat

I'm on silly tyres too and my handbook says chains are OK, but the chains do

have to fit of course, I paid £9 for mine one summer in France and they are

the diamond pattern that are supposedly better than ladder chains.

Only used chains once, a few years ago in France on a skiing holiday and we

literally needed them for the last 50 yards to our chalet - or rather didn't as it

was clear in 'town' but when you have a gendarme (sp?) with a gun you don't

argue.

Legend has it that if you pass the 'Aire de chainage' sign (Chain here layby) in

the mountains and become stuck you will if lucky be given a few minutes to get

your 'stuff' from the car before it is ploughed off the road which is ridiculous it

couldn't happen could it in a civilised country- Oh France better chain up then. ..

I see by some strange coincidence you are at Knaresborough at Christmas as well

as us - do you want to borrow a set just in case?

neil

44109[/snapback]

Neil - I know you're on silly tyres as well - weren't we both sliding round the same field last weekend?

Not sure we'll need them at Knaresborough - although it is a bit further North than we are at the moment.

Catch you soon.

K