4wd, Rwd Or Fwd Help!!

Audiman

Hi Folks

In about 5K miles I need to seriously think about changing my car.

I was almost certainly going to get a 1. 9 TDi 130BHP Audi Quatrro. ......problem is that Audi have now stopped doing the most popular diesel 2. 0 TDi in quatrro form. ....typical :(

So it is back to the drawing board!

I don't really want a Jeep style 4WD as I live in Lincolnshire, which means that you need a car that gets past the numerous slow drivers who think that the national speed limit is 40 mph that seem to exist here!! Where I live is also VERY twisty and I just don't feel that the traditional school run car will satisfy the handling and power characteristics I am looking for. I will probably use the caravan for about 6 weeks of the year.

My shortlist:

VW Passatt 4motion 130 diesel

Honda Accord

Mondeo 163 BHP diesel

Vectra 150 Diesel

Wanted a Forrester or Legacy but Subaru for some daft reason don't do diesels!

Also thought about a Jag X type, but they only do 4WD in their 3. 0 Diesel, so I might as well buy a petrol car for the useless economy

I would be prapared to consider an X-trail, but would love to know how well they over take and handle in comparison to a saloon car.

Do other people know of any other diesel 4WD saloons that I have not listed, ie do Volvo do one?

But also, I was having a discussion with some mates last night and they felt that for towing, the compromise might be rear wheel drive.

I had not considered this and can only think of a BMW or Lexus, of which only BMW do a diesel, so I suppose it would be a 318. 320 D unless people know otherwise?

We tow a Coachman Amara with a MTPLM of 1340kg, so it needs to be a fairly hefty lump.

I would love 4WD especially if people could see the state of our filthy roads at the moment.

PS this will almost certainly be a lease car through work, but I might possibly still end up going for something new/used at around 17K, but I don't really want to do this if I can help it.

Many thanks in advance

I would be prapared to consider an X-trail, but would love to know how well they over take and handle in comparison to a saloon car.

Having owned one since June last year I have to say that it is amazingly swift, which I have to say even surprised me!!! You won't get the same driving dynamics as you would with a saloon car because of the higher centre of gravity but you do get used to that and adjust driving style accordingly. The 2. 2DCi engine has a lot of low down torque which makes the power very flexable. Drive to the variuos wheels is electronically controlled and can be swithched on the wing. I don't really think of it as a proper 4 wheel drive but more like a large estate car (it looks small against my neighbours Disco) which is very practical for caravanning. It has a nice upright driving position and of course you can see more that you can from a saloon car. Its towing performance is excellent although I would appreciate a little better economy. Other caravan towing advantages are the 100kgs noseweight allowance and the 2000kgs max towing weight.

Like you I think its daft that Subaru don't do a diesel, however I understand that they plan to introduce a diesel within the next couple of years.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

I agree with David's comments on the diesel X-Trail.

Take one for a test drive, when I did the Salesman said you will think it has a petrol engine and I did.

Even my son who drives an Audi TT was mildly impressed with the performance. (Nothing else though.)

Pete.

Many thanks for the replies, obviously I need to at least give one a spin and see what I think. Having come from German brands for the last few years I may have a problem with quality and I suspect noise, but the proof of the pudding as they say.

I have just been out today and driven a SAAB 93 150 TiD and I have to say, it was excellent. ...but not 4WD, this may have to join my list

Hi Audiman,

Volvo do the V70 estate with electronically controlled all wheel drive. The 2. 4litre D5 diesel engine (163bhp) is one of the best on the market in my opinion. You can also get self levelling rear air suspension which helps when towing.

http://www. volvocars. co. uk/Showroom/V70/Sp. ..tions/Features/

Brian

Hi Audiman,

Volvo do the V70 estate with electronically controlled all wheel drive. The 2. 4litre D5 diesel engine (163bhp) is one of the best on the market in my opinion. You can also get self levelling rear air suspension which helps when towing.

http://www. volvocars. co. uk/Showroom/V70/Sp. ..tions/Features/

Brian

3947[/snapback]

Brian

I've just built your Volvo using the site above and the total cost was just under £26,000!

I then did the exercise with the X-Trail (similar spec and free Sat Nav) and got a price of just under £20,000!

No contest sorry. ;-)

Many thanks for the replies, obviously I need to at least give one a spin and see what I think.   Having come from German brands for the last few years I may have a problem with quality and I suspect noise, but the proof of the pudding as they say.

3943[/snapback]

Audiman,

I too am a fan of German cars - I owned and towed with only VWs for 20 odd years but I was not disappointed after buying the X-Trail. Zero problems in 2 years and 20,000 miles. All it has cost so far is £130 for one service and £140 for 2 new front tyres.

Accurate figures have been kept for the 2 years - best mpg solo has been 41 and best towing was 28mpg. Average mpg for 20,000 miles and all types of driving is 34. 82

The best advice, as has been mentioned, is to drive one. I guarantee you will be impressed!

Audiman

I to have owned and towed with German cars (BMW 5 series, A6 and Merc E class) all good cars that didn't ever break down on me. I had each for about 3 years and 60 - 80k miles. All suffered pulling our vans across fields at some point.

The X-Trail pulled the van out of a very wet and muddy field last Oct with no problem. (One van wheel had sunk down a good few inches.

Pete.

Hi Audiman

You said in your first post you did not want a Jeep style 4WD. .............!

Brian

4471[/snapback]

That's why I am hoping that people with other options. .......I am still dubious that the X-trail would suffer with hard driving and cornering. .......I don't really want to roll :(

Thanks for the replies, but does this mean that the only tow car worth considering is an X-trail??????!!!!

Brian

Its a bit like Heineken, probably!!!

David

David - Milton Keynes

Caravan Travels

Guest john1215

For stability, comfort, economy and all round performance I still recon that the Passat TDi 130 bhp Sport 4 motion has a lot going for it. I've said this before, my last 2 towcars before the Passat were discoverys (200 and 300 series), I didn't thin I would find a more stable towing platform. I have in the form of my Passat. I admit there are probably better towcars out there but for now, the Passat does it for me, just as the X-Trail does it for Bob, it really is a matter of personal choice.

Listen to the advice here but buy what YOU want to buy, one car will impress you and you'll buy it but most of all don't rush!!

john1215

Listen to the advice here but buy what YOU want to buy, one car will impress you and you'll buy it but most of all don't rush!!

That is sound advice because in the end we will all convince ourselves and others that our choice of towcar is the greatest thing since sliced bread because we have just spent thousands on it. My X-Trail has just been in for some minor bodywork repairs. (Merc reversed into me whilst I was parked!!) I had on loan a Corsa which was OK, or rather it was better than nothing but I missed the comfort and power of the X-Trail. When I collected it and drove off everything seemed to right. I took ages to decide on the Nissan so I appreciate its not easy.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Caravan Travels

That's why I am hoping that people with other options. .......I am still dubious that the X-trail would suffer with hard driving and cornering. .......I don't really want to roll :(

4494[/snapback]

Hi Audiman,

If the perceived handling characteristics of 4x4s put you off, then perhaps you should read the review from Honest John - here is a quote:

"Biggest surprise of all: it handles well. Far better than a Freelander. Heavier than a CRV, but none the worse for it. It takes fast corners flat and doesn’t turn into a barge if you fling it round the tighter ones. And, unlike the Sport-spec BMW X5, those fat 215/65 tyres absorb potholes rather than crash through them."

Full review is here:

http://htdig. honestjohn. co. uk/road_tests/index. htm?id=47

If you want a 4x4 that drives more like a car you really should drive the X-Trail and then make up your own mind.

For stability, comfort, economy and all round performance I still recon that the Passat TDi 130 bhp Sport 4 motion has a lot going for it. I've said this before, my last 2 towcars before the Passat were discoverys (200 and 300 series), I didn't thin I would find a more stable towing platform. I have in the form of my Passat. I admit there are probably better towcars out there but for now, the Passat does it for me, just as the X-Trail does it for Bob, it really is a matter of personal choice.

john1215

4509[/snapback]

Thanks for the replies guys.

John, do you know when the new Passat is due out? It seems that Audi and Skoda are either putting quattro on their small and large engined/powered cars and missing out the mid range models! I'm assuming that the Passat will suffer the same problem.

X-Bob, Ok, OK you win!!!! I will take one for a drive and see what it feels like!

Thanks again!