Damp Prevention Tips ?

Moose

We're about to put the van away until New Year and wondered if any particular brand of moisture absorbing crystals are worth using ?

The van is stored in a enclosed barn, without the luxury of electricity and we are removing bedding and leaving cupboards open etc etc

TIA

Moose

We found cat litter placed in tights and placed on piece's of kitchen roll absorb moisture like nothing else just a tip, fresh cat litter is best not used  :D

43532[/snapback]

You mean you prefer to use cat litter that has been used? :o:o

Guest Hobbybod
We're about to put the van away until New Year and wondered if any particular brand of moisture absorbing crystals are worth using ?

. . . . Moose

43503[/snapback]

IMHO, those crystals are a waste of time and money, and I did use them in the dim and distant past.

I haven't tried the kitty litter idea and that may be better, but in all of the 'water absorbing' crystal methods only so much water can be absorbed and the crystals themselves (like salt) get damp so dampness is still around!! In fact the crystals I used (in a fancy commercial plastic basket gizmo) ended up as a gooey damp mess causing eerh . . . . damp, or moisture, in the 'van; hence useless IMHO!!

Unless you continually visit the 'van to renew/reactivate the crystals.

There was a recent thread about this. You can use household salt. Just fill a dish with it and change when solid. You can use the crystals, (silica gel) which do turn into a gooey mass, but continue to absorb water. I am currently trying something that I bought in Lidl's. A plastic container and 3 x 450gm bags of crystals for £3. 99. I've always used one of these methods and, after 13 years, have had no problems with damp. I try to visit the stored caravan about once a week, (you may find that regular visits are a condition of your insurance anyway). Hope this helps.

Mikey :)

Archived