New To This....... Belgium?

Hi forum readers!

We are new to caravanning and this forum has helped us out on our first few trips! I had been a caravanner as a child but now it's for real as we look to start our own family.

Next month we are heading to Belgium if anyone has any advice?

Welcome to the Forum

You should find good advice on your trip here.

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

On our way back from Italy last year we stayed at a campsite near Namur in a village called Malonne, it it such a pretty part of Belgium, Namur is a lovely city and so is Danant, and the country side is beautiful,and not far from the Ardenne another beautiful area. the camp site was smart and clean, it is in the CC bible, or I have the details if wanted.

Can recomend this site near to Ghent, http://www. campinggroeneveld. be/, lovely quiet site witha bistro .

you Must visit Ghent (venice of the North) and Brugge plus Ypres if interested in WW1. Plus sample the local beers of course. I never fancied the Chips with mayo though!!!!1

Coachman Pastiche tugged by Mazda CX-7, Wine supplied by Sainsburys & sunday Times wine Club.

I agree about Ghent. The site there is good and central, so that also is a good place to stay - you can buzz around from there to Bruges, Antwerp, Brussels, etc. by train which is quick and economical and efficient.

Edited by moorgate

An ACSI Camping Card and book would be very good for you if visiting in June. We have stopped near to Ypres twice and have visited Belgium without the van a few times. You might find some information here if you need any specific help please contact me there. All details on ACSI CC are on there.

Elddis Crusader Storm with Kia Sorento XS

Joys of European Caravanning

Gent is a good base for looking around NW Belgium. We use Camping Blaarmeersen, a tad noisy in some parts but spacious, restaurant, bar, takeaway, good clean facilities, EHU, and a nice walk around a lake just outside the site. There is a bus from outside the gates into the city centre. If there make sure to have a look at the Flower Market, pets market, and antiques/collectables/junk market on Sunday morning. It is also a good place from which to visit Lille.

If you want to visit Brussels stay at Camping Huizingen to the W of the city. A bit basic but easy access.

We stayed at a site adjacent to a chateau in Liege and had a good ride around the forests to the south close to the German border and tripped over the Spa grand prix circuit which was open and you could freely walk around - boy is O-Rouge steep!

The Ardennes in the deep south is a very attractive area with Dinant making a good base. Fuel is about the cheapest in the country as it is close to the Lux border.

The NE coast - Knocke - is the Mayfair of Belgium but nonetheless a very attractive place as is the drive (or tram) down the coast road. Antwerp is interesting as is Mechilin, but both are really only good for a day.

The place I would avoid - because its full of Brits - is Brugges. Yes visit it but don't plan to stay there.

Finally, if you have the time and strength of will, the WW1 battlefields and CWG cemeteries, and the city of Ypres is a must. Ypres (Leper in Flemish) has a very pleasent municipal only 10 mins walk from the Menin Gate and the city centre. Beware however, visiting the cemeteries (and believe me there is one around every corner) is harrowing. I would defy anyone not to shed quite a few tears as they go around. The biggest CWG is at Tyne Cot not far from Ypres and worth a visit but go early to avoid the coaches. The Passchendaele museum in Zonnebecke is also worth a visit but very upsetting. If you find Prowse Point cemetary, just across the road you will find the field where British and Germans troops (boys) played football on Christmas Day 1914. You can get a guide in English from the Tourist Information in the Cloth Hall or from the CWGC N European office about five minutes walk from the city church.

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville