Reich Mover Install

bobren55

I have just installed a Reich mover bought secondhand for £500. It works a treat after I found the battery in the remote was low. It appeared OK if I checked the voltage when the remote was turned off 9. 3v, but after turning it on it dropped to 6. 2v. Watch out for cheap unknown batteries, they don't have the staying power.

Anyway to get to the point. Thanks to "Klyne" on this forum who kindly emailed me install intructions, the install went smoothly. The problem is I haven't got a remote cable to run the unit if there are radio problems.

Can anybody tell me if the cable has 3mm jack plugs on each end. Does it have 3 connections (stereo), tip, ring & sleeve and are they wired tip to tip, ring to ring etc? Also, how long is the cable supplied with a new unit?

Looking at the sockets on the remote and in the control unit they would appear to be that type of connector.

Any info gratefully received :)

Thanks

Bob R

If no joy why not try the Reich UK Rep on 01543 459243

Griff.

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front Green Oval Towing Machine

Wheels at the back Bessacarr 845

If no joy why not try the Reich UK Rep on 01543 459243

Griff.

43373[/snapback]

Hi Griff,

Thanks for the suggestion but I have emailed him with the same question and he didn't reply. I expect he wants me to buy one from a dealer at an inflated price. It's only a simple cable to make once I have the details.

Cheers

Bob R

Bob

It is a twin cable with a single 3mm jack plug at each end and about 4m in length.

The connections are sealed so I cannot answer your other queries.

As you say, it looks simple so perhaps just give it a whirl

Happy moving. TrevorM

Bob

It is a twin cable with a single 3mm jack plug at each end and about 4m in length.

The connections are sealed so I cannot answer your other queries.

As you say, it looks simple so perhaps just give it a whirl

Happy moving.     TrevorM

43549[/snapback]

Hi Trevor

Thanks for that info. Does the jack plug have 2 or 3 connections on it? Is there a tip, a ring, and a sleeve nearest the cable or just 2, a tip and a sleeve? With 3 it would be the same as a set of stereo headphones.

I don't want to just plug in a cable in case it is not connected straight thro. It might damage the electronics. :(

Regards

Bob R

Bob

Glad the installing went well. I have never used my cable to control the mover. Is the problem with the remote more likely to do with you causing interference around you? Someone I know with a Truma used to set his neighbours house alarm off when he used the mover!!!

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

Can anybody tell me if the cable has 3mm jack plugs on each end. Does it have 3 connections (stereo), tip, ring & sleeve and are they wired tip to tip, ring to ring etc? Also, how long is the cable supplied with a new unit?

Any info gratefully received  :)

Thanks

Bob R

43371[/snapback]

Hi Bob,

I've just checked my cable with a meter and it is exactly as you suspected - 3mm stereo jack plugs, all connections wired straight through i. e. tip to tip, ring to ring and sleeve to sleeve, and about 5 metres long.

Cheers

Hi Bob,

I've just checked my cable with a meter and it is exactly as you suspected - 3mm stereo jack plugs, all connections wired straight through i. e. tip to tip, ring to ring and sleeve to sleeve, and about 5 metres long.

Cheers

43579[/snapback]

Hi Bob,

That's great, just what I wanted to know. :D

Thanks to all those who replied ;) The forum triumphs again. Whoooo Hoooo!!! (quote Homer)

Cheers

Bob R

Bob

Glad the installing went well. I have never used my cable to control the mover. Is the problem with the remote more likely to do with you causing interference around you? Someone I know with a Truma used to set his neighbours house alarm off when he used the mover!!!

David

43561[/snapback]

Hi David,

There was no problem with the remote only, as I said, a flat battery. That replaced it works fine, even standing across the road from the van.

I wanted to make a cable to keep in the van just in case I do have problems at some time.

Mind you it will not be the easiest thing to connect to the control unit as it is in the bottom of the kitchen unit and will have to be run out thro' the kitchen window. So I think I will make it 8mtrs long. :blink:

Regards

Bob R

On the subject of Riech movers, has anyone encountered any problems with their

closeness to the ground?

Cheers,

Griff.

Griff

None whatsoever, but I would qualify that by advising that the mover should be mounted behind the wheel so that it trails rather than leads.

I also try to avoid kerbing the unit and I take great care when confronted with 45 degree ferry ramps. ( well that's what they look like to me ).

THe big advantage of the Reich is that the motors are well inboard off the wheels which keeps them away from most problems.

Cheers TrevorM

closeness to the ground?

Cheers,

Griff.

43650[/snapback]

Hi Griff,

The one I have just installed on the Arizona would appear to have about 5" clearance. Fortunately the Arizona has 14" wheels which will help.

Having said that I haven't towed it very far since I installed the mover!!

I did notice that with the gap to wheel set to 20mm, when I jack up the van the wheel is touching the friction roller.

Bob R

closeness to the ground?

Griff

It certainly seems a bit lower that on the Europa but I have not encountered any problems. I had read that it is vulnerable but not experienced any ocassions when I was concerned. I suppose you just have to make sure you don't put yourself in the position of danger.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

None whatsoever, but I would qualify that by advising that the mover should be mounted behind the wheel so that it trails rather than leads.

43654[/snapback]

Hmm, in my situation with a Twin Axle and the 4 wheel drive mover, the drives are mounted fore & aft.

Not too bothered about normal roads and the CC Sites I have seen but do intend to take the van to some shows which use fields for parking.

I suppose that if it caught soft ground as opposed to let's say concrete, the bottom bracket would just gouge its way through the odd hump etc? :unsure:

Griff.

Just out of interest for Reich owners - at the Earls Court show last week the demo Reich Mover on their stand had a plastic shroud covering all the visible mechanism at the roller.

It looked quite smart and obviously will prevent dirt ingress to the mechanism so I asked if it was available as a retro fit. I was told it should be available from January at the Cardiff show although all new Reichs will have it as standard from now on.

He couldn't tell me a price though but I'll be at the Cardiff show so I'll have a look.