New Senators

Griff

Chatting to the Al-ko Salesman on their stand at Earls Court on Friday regarding the new Secure Wheel Lock which looked tidy if not finicky to fit.

Bit expensive for 2 to fit a twin axle.

Got chatting to the Bailey Sales Representitive on their stand (not a Dealer rep)

and turns out that on models built and delivered in 2006, these are included with the Caravan as standard.

Must admit that I when I saw them fitted to Vans on the Bailey Stand at the 3 Counties Show, I thought it was some sort of show deal offered by the exhibiting Dealer.

Will ring the factory on Monday just to confirm. :unsure:

Griff.

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front Green Oval Towing Machine

Wheels at the back Bessacarr 845

Chatting to the Al-ko Salesman on their stand at Earls Court on Friday regarding the new Secure Wheel Lock which looked tidy if not finicky to fit.

Bit expensive for 2 to fit a twin axle.

Got chatting to the Bailey Sales Representitive on their stand (not a Dealer rep)

and turns out that on models built and delivered in 2006, these are included with the Caravan as standard.

Must admit that I when I saw them fitted to Vans on the Bailey Stand at the 3 Counties Show, I thought it was some sort of show deal offered by the exhibiting Dealer.

Will ring the factory on Monday just to confirm. :unsure:

Griff.

43344[/snapback]

Hi Griff

We collected our new Senator Wyoming last Sunday and the AL-KO wheel locks are included .

Regards

Nico

Hi Griff

We collected our new Senator Wyoming last Sunday and the AL-KO wheel locks are included .

Regards

Nico

43749[/snapback]

Hi Griff

Got them supplied with my Louisiana back in Sep.

Finally took delivery ex the docks here in NZ last Sat (7th Nov). Wow :) most impressed! Towed her 1058 Km home where she is now safely tucked away. One shakedown weekend away before Christmas to try out the 3 awnings we also bought :D & then a 2 week holiday in the summer over Christmas/New Year.

Certainly is a lot more noticeable behind the Cruiser weight wise than the Pageant was but well worth it.

Just had a load of caravan brochures delivered, and they are becoming 'standard' on other ranges now as well.

Out of the brochures I have the Sterling Eccles & Trekker, Abbey GTS Vogue & Spectrum, all with them as 'standard' - 1 for single axles and 2 for twins.

Obviously you have paid for them in the price, but a good idea anyway!

I got my Louisiana in late July but the locks were sent to us in September when they were officially introduced on the market.

Going to be a bit fiddly for touring but will use them as additional security at home.

Hi Griff,

Ordered a Senator at the Earls Court show where the dealer informed me that the new Alko lock was included in the spec. I was under the impression that 'It' was included rather than 'They'. Other posts here tend to indicate that twin axle models receive two such locks? Could anybody confirm this for me? Also, a thought occured to me having returned home. .... As you have to locate a bolt through the alloy wheel recess into the secure thread, does this mean that you have to faff around for ages aligning the caravan to ensure that the recess lines up on each wheel, or do you just jack the van up, rotate the wheel if necessary and then attach the lock? :huh:

Regards

Defender ;)

Hi Griff,

Ordered a Senator at the Earls Court show where the dealer informed me that the new Alko lock was included in the spec. I was under the impression that 'It' was included rather than 'They'. Other posts here tend to indicate that twin axle models receive two such locks? Could anybody confirm this for me? Also, a thought occured to me having returned home. .... As you have to locate a bolt through the alloy wheel recess into the secure thread, does this mean that you have to faff around for ages aligning the caravan to ensure that the recess lines up on each wheel, or do you just jack the van up, rotate the wheel if necessary and then attach the lock? :huh:

Regards

Defender  ;)

44711[/snapback]

Dead easy if you have a caravan mover fitted with a soft touch

All the Best Derek

Hi Griff,

Regards

Defender  ;)

44711[/snapback]

From waht I unserstand 2 locks are needed on a twin axle as a theif could simply deflate the locked tyre and drive away on 1 1/2 axles, if you follow.

Also the van needs jacking to apply the second lock, as it is highly unlikely that both locks will line up with the chassis points without the second wheel to be locked requiring some rotation to acheive this.

Hi Griff,

I was under the impression that 'It' was included rather than 'They'. Other posts here tend to indicate that twin axle models receive two such locks? Could anybody confirm this for me?

Defender  ;)

44711[/snapback]

With new Twin Axles, Bailey Sales have confirmed to me that they supply 2 Locks because with only supplying 1, ‘Harry the Snatch’ can always deflate that tyre and have it away on 3 wheels.

With respect to a mover, that is only useful for fitting the first and useless for the second. If the position of the second wheel is not correct, no option but to jack.

Griff.

PS Which Senator did you order Defender?

Guest mr_sheens

BAILEY SENATOR SINGLE AXLE 1XLOCK

BAILEY SENATOR TWIN AXLE 2XLOCKS

ALL COME WITH THE ALKO JACK AND FIXING POINTS AS STANDARD SO YOU CAN JACK UP AND TURN THE WHEEL BY HAND TO LINE UP.

From waht I unserstand 2 locks are needed on a twin axle as a theif could simply deflate the locked tyre and drive away on 1 1/2 axles, if you follow.

Also the van needs jacking to apply the second lock, as it is highly unlikely that both locks will line up with the chassis points without the second wheel to be locked requiring some rotation to acheive this.

44720[/snapback]

Griff and everyone else who replied, many thanks for your info. We went to the show looking for a 6 berth with a twin-dinette layout. So what did we buy? . .... The Carolina! :blink: Blame the missus :o, she saw the bathroom and walk-in wardrobe and that was that so to speak. The Avondale Argente 650-6 came a close second, but I couldn't physically fit into the shower cubicle, along with the 'pinch-gate' effect of the centrally opposed shower and toilet cubicles. I've probably stirred up a hornets nest now with seasoned caravanners telling me that the showers on-site are so good nowadays that you will probably never use the walk-in shower. Time will tell. ........

Regards

Defender ;)

Hi Defender,

Good luck with the Carolina, when is it due?

Our Louisiana is scheduled for mid Jan, can't wait.

First van after a 20 year break.

Regards,

Griff. :D

Griff and everyone else who replied, many thanks for your info. We went to the show looking for a 6 berth with a twin-dinette layout. So what did we buy? . .... The Carolina!  :blink: Blame the missus :o, she saw the bathroom and walk-in wardrobe and that was that so to speak. The Avondale Argente 650-6 came a close second, but I couldn't physically fit into the shower cubicle, along with the 'pinch-gate' effect of the centrally opposed shower and toilet cubicles. I've probably stirred up a hornets nest now with seasoned caravanners telling me that the showers on-site are so good nowadays that you will probably never use the walk-in shower. Time will tell. ........

Regards

Defender  ;)

45353[/snapback]

Hi Griff,

Due mid to late March, just in time for the start of the new season. Whoops, there I go again upsetting a hornets nest. Bet theres plenty of season'd caravanners that will tell me that there is no beginning and no end to the season? This is our first caravan so its going to be a steeeeeeeep learning curve. At least the family will be cossetted in relative luxury whilst muggins attempts to remember everything he's read so far on this forum! Towing weights, nose weight, corner steadies, hitch-locks, levelling, aquarolls, 10amp circuit, heating etc etc. I thought this was supposed to be a holiday!!! :(

Regards

Defender ;)

Hi Griff,

This is our first caravan so its going to be a steeeeeeeep learning curve.

Regards

Defender  ;)

45413[/snapback]

Hi defender,

This is only our second and the first was only a 13 footer 20 years back so I thought it was time for a refresher for me and my wife - she just wanted to listen to it all.

Went to a Towing training centre who works with our supplier who lent me a caravan for the course.

Couldn't get hold of a Twin Axle for the day but they lent me the biggest Single Axle that was available. (1 metre shorter than ours will be)

The course covered everything from plugging in the electrics to an emergency stop at 35mph on a practice course and everything in between. Brilliant!!

'Cautiously' boosted my confidence.

Cheers,

Griff.

Hi defender,

This is only our second and the first was only a 13 footer 20 years back so I thought it was time for a refresher for me and my wife - she just wanted to listen to it all.

Went to a Towing training centre who works with our supplier who lent me a caravan for the course.

Couldn't get hold of a Twin Axle for the day but they lent me the biggest Single Axle that was available. (1 metre shorter than ours will be)

The course covered everything from plugging in the electrics to an emergency stop at 35mph on a practice course and everything in between. Brilliant!!

'Cautiously' boosted my confidence.

Cheers,

Griff.

45435[/snapback]

Hi Griff,

Glad you admitted to that. I've just booked myself onto the CC practical and manouevring courses that will be held end of February-early March. Our dealer is located in Lincolnshire and we're in Kent! Don't ask me how it happened. The salesman spent a lot of time with us, we pottered ariound the rest of the show and then felt it only right to go back to the dealer that assisted us, rather than another dealer who 'did now't' for his supper, so to speak. It's a 180 mile journey home and I thought it best to at least have some idea of what I was doing before I collected the beast! It's nice to hear that your confidence has been given a boost, and quite rightly you are cautious. All I have to do is hope that the anticpated 'big freeze' either fails to show or has long since gone before either my courses start or i collect the caravan. otherwise I'll find myself up a certain creek wihout a paddle! (or life-jacket, map, food and a slowly leaking hull)

Regards

Defender

Hi

I pick up our Senator Indiana on Wednesday and as above it comes with the lock as standard

Away the weekend to try it all out must look out for the condensation behind the seats

Alan :P:P

• 1 month later...

Picked up our Senator wyoming twin axle this week, only 1 lock with ours !!

dc.

Picked up our Senator wyoming twin axle this week, only 1 lock with ours !!

dc.

51217[/snapback]

Have you queried this with your dealer/Bailey?

I am assured that our Louisiane due at the end of next week will have two.

Remains to be seen, will let you know.

I got one so complained to ALKO and they gave me the 2nd one no probs ;)

51234[/snapback]

Did you deal with alko direct or through your dealer ?

cheers

dc.

cheers

dc.

51242[/snapback]

I phoned ALKO direct (but I did have my van prior to the launch of the lock in September so got them directly after the launch) Had a card in my welcome pack from Bailey I sent to ALKO ;)

I would phone ALKO ;)

I phoned ALKO direct (but I did have my van prior to the launch of the lock in September so got them directly after the launch)  Had a card in my welcome pack from Bailey I sent to ALKO ;)

I would phone ALKO ;)

51247[/snapback]

Thanks, will do that

dc.

cheers

dc.

51242[/snapback]

dc,

Our Louisiana arrived today with the dealer who has told me that he thinks, as with other TA Bailey's recently delivered, that it has only one wheel lock.

I have spoken to Bailey again today who have confirmed again that there should be two with all TA models and if there is only one, for the dealer to contact one of the Bailey Sales team who will make sure that a second is provided.

Hope that this helps.

Guest mr_sheens
BAILEY SENATOR SINGLE AXLE 1XLOCK

BAILEY SENATOR TWIN AXLE 2XLOCKS

ALL COME WITH THE ALKO JACK AND FIXING POINTS AS STANDARD SO YOU CAN JACK UP AND TURN THE WHEEL BY HAND TO LINE UP.

44736[/snapback]

as i have said previously. i know because i AM a bailey dealership

as i have said previously. i know because i AM a bailey dealership

51347[/snapback]

Been on to dealer today and he did not know if it should have 2 locks so he was ringing Bailey to find out so I e-mailed Bailey and they confirmed that there should be 2.

Think I should tell dealer :)

dc