Spider Repellers

Moose

In the run up to Christmas we've received a catalogue from Nauticalia and lo & behold - a spider repeller is available !

The battery powered unit is perhaps the ideal Christmas gift for the caravanning arachnaphobes B)

Festives

Moose

• 2 weeks later...

That would be great for my husband.

he is a total arachnophobe!!!

Nissan X-trail 2. 2 DCi - 2005 Adria Altea 502 DK,2 well-behaved boys who I am immensely proud of!!

(Also a 1990 VW Golf Convertible, which definately does not tow anything!!!)

This post is not meant to intentionally offend anybody

• 3 months later...

Fantastic idea, I want one. .. but does it work against spiders? There is nothing worse than waking during the night to a spider crawling around your head looking for a dark damp place to settle! Been there, done that. NOT NICE!!

Regards

David

2.gifDid you know that 'The average person swallows eight spiders per year.' :o

Apparantly spiders hate the smell of cloves so if you get some clove oil from the chemist and add a few drops to some water and spray it everywhere they should keep away.

The thing I hate is always having spiders lurking in my wing mirrors :unsure:

mrs mike

I once bought a pack of three plug-in repellers. They were supposed to repel not only mice and rats, but insects and spiders too. Bought them because we get those big house spiders. They didn't prevent either spiders or insects. We don't have rats or mice in the house so I can't say if they would have worked for these, but I did subsequently read somewhere that although these type of repellers scare rodents away at first, they eventually get used to them and return. <_<

Incidentally, the repellers made an audible click every four seconds or so. We had one in the bedroom and it was like listening to a dripping tap! :blink:

After a couple of months, one of the units started clicking rapidly, so I rang QVC, sent them back and we got a refund. :)

Can I just say that I quite like spiders, at least they keep the flies down!!!

Mikey :)

Me too,

Much rather have the odd spider than irritating flies that visit the dung heap then regurgitate in your sugar bowl!

Not all spiders kill flies though, because not all spiders spin webs. :blink:

But they all eat meat . . some jump on the fly instead of spinning the web.

I don't know of any dung heap visiting sugar bowl spiders!

:lol:

some of them eat birds

BirdEatingSpider.jpg

the goliath bird-eating spider is pretty harmless to humans, as are most species of tarantulas. They do carry venom in their fangs and have been known to bite humans when threatened, but the venom just causes swelling and mild pain for a few hours (like a wasp sting). Tarantula bites to humans are usually in self-defense and don't always contain spider venom - what is known as a "dry bite".

some of them eat birds

the goliath bird-eating spider is pretty harmless to humans, as are most species of tarantulas. They do carry venom in their fangs and have been known to bite humans when threatened, but the venom just causes swelling and mild pain for a few hours (like a wasp sting). Tarantula bites to humans are usually in self-defense and don't always contain spider venom - what is known as a "dry bite".

Also, tarantulas can release fine hairs from their back legs if roughly handled, these hairs can cause you problems if they go into your eyes!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

A few conkers placed in secure places does the trick. Spiders can't stand them.

I thought that was an old wives tale. ... but. ...

Last September we were on a site with a sweet chestnut tree (the edible kind)...

Mrs Chapmag picked up a few and on returning home she put one in every room in the house. ..

I have to say I didn't see one spider last autumn or thru' the winter to date!!!!

Gotta be worth a try!

G.

Conkers work a treat, we live in an old house that was a spider magnet, a liberal application of conkers each year keeps it spider free. I can't remember the last time I saw one inside.

CTA

some of them eat birds

BirdEatingSpider.jpg

Goodness me whats all this about. .? tarantulas, caravans,.. I was intending to visit York, not the Amazon!!. i can guarantee the first time i find a Tarantula in the van,is the last time i will be in a caravan "and you can take that to the Bank"

Stevenj

Goodness me whats all this about. .? tarantulas, caravans,.. I was intending to visit York, not the Amazon!!. i can guarantee the first time i find a Tarantula in the van,is the last time i will be in a caravan "and you can take that to the Bank"

Stevenj

Hi Stevenj,

Not sure where you have been living/caravaning. .. but. .. SWMBO. ... sees at least 3 tarantulas every weekend we are away!!!!

Then again everything is relative (to ones perspective)!!!!! :blink::D:blink:

G.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Stevenj,

Not sure where you have been living/caravaning. .. but. .. SWMBO. ... sees at least 3 tarantulas every weekend we are away!!!!

Then again everything is relative (to ones perspective)!!!!! blink.gifbiggrin.gifblink.gif

G.

It's all to much for me ohmy.gif sending away for a Shearings coach tour catalog. .. putting the new van back in its box sad.gif

Stevenj