Fridge - Winter Vents

Moose

Looking forward to caravanning through the winter, should we be fitting winter vent covers to the fridge ?

I can't find any consistent advice from the suppliers - some say only to be used in storage.

TIA

Moose

We use them once it gets really cold, otherwise the wind whistling into the van around the fridge is unbelievable. We run the fridge on gas or mains, depending where we are, and have never had trouble. We take them off when we store the van, mainly cos we don't want them to get nicked!

I use them every winter - I put them on and leave them on - travelling with them and also on site or at home. They are very useful items.

Margaret

Margaret

I don't do technical !!!

Just me and my showdogs!!

I use them every winter - I put them on and leave them on - travelling with them and also on site or at home.   They are very useful items.

Margaret

43297[/snapback]

Totally agree with Margaret, I put them on when the temp drops. Last winter I had problems with the fridge and I believe it was caused due to the fact that the 'kitchen' is on the north side of the pitch I use. I found that the fridge wouldn't chill down and the food in the freezer bit defrosted, I posted on this site but the concensus was that the fridge was faulty - no nothing wrong with it. I believe that the northerly airflow was so cold that the ambient temperature around the sensor caused the fridge thermostat to believe it was down to temperature and therefore wouldn't chill the fridge, it has only happened the once in the 4. 5 years I've been using the van. Don't know what to do if it happens again this year as the forecast isn't great, I may turn the van around.

Phil

Yes, use the winter covers in low temperatures, many of us know the fridges don't work well in summer when the temperature is above 28 degrees or so, works the other way round, not so efficient when the ambient temperature is below 5 degrees roughly

Looking forward to caravanning through the winter, should we be fitting winter vent covers to the fridge ?

I can't find any consistent advice from the suppliers - some say only to be used in storage.

TIA

Moose

43284[/snapback]

What are winter vents and where do you get them from?

Steve W

FV3.jpg

The winter vent is the solid cover at the front and will prevent gusts from blowing into the van.

"Available from all good caravan accessory suppliers" ;)

Towsure £19. 95

43284[/snapback]

We have winter covers fitted.

Put 'em on - leave 'em on. That's my advice.

Ours are only removed in the long hot summer (I think that was a couple of days in July this year!!!) :D

Cheers,

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

We have winter covers fitted.

Put 'em on - leave 'em on. That's my advice.

Ours are only removed in the long hot summer (I think that was a couple of days in July this year!!!) :D

Cheers,

Gordon.

43328[/snapback]

I fit them when the average temp drops below 50 deg F. Also, I leave them fitted in storage.

TIA

Moose

43284[/snapback]

Electrolux/Dometic recommend their use when the temperature drops below 10 degrees C and when washing with a pressure washer.

Mike

Electrolux/Dometic recommend their use when the temperature drops below 10 degrees C and when washing with a pressure washer.

Mike

43451[/snapback]

The last person I talked to that had use a pressure washer on his van it cost him a £1000 to have it re sealed so I am quite surprised that some one recommends this,

i like the idea of winter vents but never found it a problem with the last van without them maybe as at the storage site there is only about 2 foot between each van and when on site we had a scenic porch awning up, I might be wrong but I think that bailey caravans come with them as standard but to buy at around £20 each they are quite expensive for a piece of plastic and you need two of them as well.

Regards

JON

Jon

Don't think they recommend pressure washing - just to cover up the vents if you do. BTW I was at a dealer the other day and they were pressure washing a p/x van that had just arrived!

Got them this morning genuine Electrolux parts. £15. 95. first time I have ever bought anything from Electrolux without feeling ripped off.

Steve W

TIA

Moose

43284[/snapback]

beleive it or not, the vents were originally made to stop the back of the fridge getting too cold in the winter and freezing up. they do of course stop a great deal of draught from entering the van as well :rolleyes:

Jon

Don't think they recommend pressure washing - just to cover up the vents if you do.   BTW I was at a dealer the other day and they were pressure washing a p/x van that had just arrived!

43486[/snapback]

In fairness. this is lifted from a Bailey handbook but I am assuming that it originates from Electrolux

"Winter Operation

Please check that the ventilation grilles or the flue outlets are not blocked

by snow, leaves etc.

Your caravan is supplied with Electrolux winter covers as standard

equipment. These covers should be fitted when the outside temperature

is below 10°C.

Caution: The covers should also be used when the caravan is in storage or is

being washed by a high pressure spray. or during very wet weather.

Note: Remember to remove all winter covers at all other times when the

refrigerator is in use."

Mike

I was told by the Thetford engineer who repaired my fridge that the vent covers cause more problems than they cure.

Having mine fitted in the winter last year (between +3 and -5) caused excess build up of moisture behind the fridge and the burner / flue corroded causing carbon monoxide to enter the van, tell tale sign was the black streak up the side and the terrible smell inside - and no that wasnt me!

The instructions say fit them, the engineer said dont - I would rather have a draught coming through than carbon monoxide again.

Happy Winter caravanning to all. .....I'm at Amberley Fields if anyone wants a pint in the Flight Tavern.

Are these vents a universal fitting or are they specific to a type of fridge or van?

Rod

43926[/snapback]

You need to check that the fridge vents on the van are compatible with the covers. I "think" that they are fairly generic these days (i. e. Electrolux fridges = Electrolux type vents), but there used to be some differences.

If in doubt, get them on a "sale or return" basis - I'm sure most dealers will be amenable.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that fridges are supplied to the caravan manufacturers with the vent covers and they just don't pass them on (except Bailey apparently!)

I seem to remember reading somewhere that fridges are supplied to the caravan manufacturers with the vent covers and they just don't pass them on  (except Bailey apparently!)

44090[/snapback]

I know new Swift vans are not supplied with the Ext vents been there enquired, But some models of the Bessacarr are.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that fridges are supplied to the caravan manufacturers with the vent covers and they just don't pass them on  (except Bailey apparently!)

44090[/snapback]

I've always had to buy them as "extras". (Swift Group & Explorer Group).

The last person I talked to that had use a pressure washer on his van it cost him a £1000 to have it re sealed so I am quite surprised that some one recommends this,<<<

Wish I had read this before this summer.

Pressure washed the van we have now sold and it did my back in so no holiday :-(

The last person I talked to that had use a pressure washer on his van it cost him a £1000 to have it re sealed so I am quite surprised that some one recommends this,<<<

Wish I had read this before this summer.

Pressure washed the van we have now sold and it did my back in so no holiday :-(

44536[/snapback]

Frank

I'm not recommending it and I don't think Electrolux are either. Bear in mind that panel vans as well as caravans and coachbuild motorhomes are often fitted with Electrolux fridges.

Mike

Archived