Aaarrrggghhhhh!!!!

Wonky

Hi all,

I have been to Earls Court earlier this week in search of a new caravan and yes, I did find one BUT. ....

I could not believe my findings regarding large, twin axle tourers. I suffer badly with claustraphopia and hence want a large van. No problem with space or vehicle. I have three kids, two of whom still come with us regularly.

I was in the market for an end washroomed, side dinette and having been over the moon with my Coachman, was tending towards a Laser. However, I wanted to check out the competition so walked around with wallet in hand. Guess what? we ended up with a choice of about three! All other twin axle vans were fixed bed. Upon asking the manufacturers reps about this, we were told " we only produce what people want"!

Now, surely everyone that buys a new caravan is not so old as to not have kids with them are they? A fixed bed would not suit us as the kids go to bed before us and then we would have nowhere to sit!!!

Another thing that I thought about is, what happens in three years time, when second hand buyers are looking for a family van? There won't be enough to go around surely?

Sorry about the rant but I feel very frustrated by the situation as you can tell :angry:

What do you all think? Do you prefer fixed beds or what?

On a happier note, we found what we wanted at a good price and can't wait until March!!!

Martin W

Discovery D3 HSE + Coachman VIP 575/4 2016

www.pennplanning.co.uk

Martin, you didnt say which van you bought!

I'm on a similar hunt (but can't pull a Twin Axle!!), as I want fixed bunks but a reasonable sized bathroom with seperate shower. Just us two oldies and a 5 & 8 year old.

A search on the net has only located 1 single axle van so far. Unless I'm not looking thouroughly :huh:

The one van so far is the Ace Award Nightstar. I could possibly be interested in a Pageant Provence, if I gave up on the fixed bunks. ..

Pretty annoying really, but I assume that manufacturers assume if you have kids, you use the sites facilities. To me the thought of having a 'shower in the toilet' doesnt really appeal that much. .. :o

Never mind, the search goes on. ..

" we only produce what people want"!

Martin

Perhaps we should substitute the term 'we only produce what is fashionable'!!!!

My favoured layout (only two of us) is the long bench seats at the front with L shaped kitchen and an end bathroom that is the same size as my current van. So far not found one! There are lots of that layout but they cram them into too short a body.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

Martin, you didnt say which van you bought!

I'm on a similar hunt (but can't pull a Twin Axle!!), as I want fixed bunks but a reasonable sized bathroom with seperate shower.   Just us two oldies and a 5 & 8 year old.

A search on the net has only located 1 single axle van so far.   Unless I'm not looking thouroughly :huh:

The one van so far is the Ace Award Nightstar.   I could possibly be interested in a Pageant Provence, if I gave up on the fixed bunks. ..

Pretty annoying really, but I assume that manufacturers assume if you have kids, you use the sites facilities.   To me the thought of having a 'shower in the toilet' doesnt really appeal that much. ..  :o

Never mind, the search goes on. ..

43214[/snapback]

Looking thru Practical Caravan the following should have the 'layout' you want i. e. same as Ace Award Nightstar.

Abbey Aventura 316, Abbey GTS Vogue 516, Burstner S-Class S530TL, Hymer Living 530LE, Sprite Major 5, Sterling Europa 500, Sterling Eccles Sapphire, Swift Charisma 540 and possibly Swift Challenger 490L [now discontinued].

I could find no other layouts like the Bailey Pageant Provence.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Mike

Thanks all,

The van we ended up with is a Coachman Laser 590/4 - actually my preferred choice!

The point is trying to find a twion axle 4 berth, side dinette, end washroom is increasing ly like looking for hens teeth!

I think the point about fixed beds being fashionable is the correct one - I hope that they 'reduce numbers' in the next few years.

Best wishes,

Martin W

www.pennplanning.co.uk

I agree with the comments re the fixed beds with families.

As there are only two of us now, we went for the fixed end bed Bordeaux when it first came out in 2000 (one of the few at that time) and replaced it with a Bordeaux when that was stolen. It is our ideal choice as a couple but I certainly would not have entertained one as a family van. We have seen families in fixed beded models and wondered how they coped when the kids wanted to go to bed and mum and dad wanted their relaxing evening glass of cocoa.

I wonder what percentage of caravanners are couples as opposed to families. But then couples are the ones with disposable capital these days and that is what the manufacturers are aiming their production at.

Looking thru Practical Caravan the following should have the 'layout' you want i. e. same as Ace Award Nightstar.

Abbey Aventura 316, Abbey GTS Vogue 516, Burstner S-Class S530TL, Hymer Living 530LE, Sprite Major 5, Sterling Europa 500, Sterling Eccles Sapphire, Swift Charisma 540 and possibly Swift Challenger 490L [now discontinued].

I could find no other layouts like the Bailey Pageant Provence.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Mike

43229[/snapback]

Thanks for that Mike! I can see i'll be on the net for the next couple of hours now :P:P

I did manage to find the Sterling Eccles Sapphire last night, along with the Eccles Amethyst! Only problem is they are just under 15k each, but they do look really nice, and are very well spec'd. Depends on part ex values etc, but its on the list now!.

Thanks again, Gaz

Wonky

I know it’s not a twin axle but if its space you wanted you should have had a look at the adrias ours is like you wanted end bath room and side dinette and most people when looking in one for the first time can’t believe how much that little extra width makes the van look so roomy.

Regards

JON

Wonky

I know it’s not a twin axle but if its space you wanted you should have had a look at the adrias ours is like you wanted end bath room and side dinette and most people when looking in one for the first time can’t believe how much that little extra width makes the van look so roomy.

Regards

JON

43246[/snapback]

Must admit John, we did look at the Adria range and they have definately improved them opposed to a few years ago. I think they also own Fleetwood too.

I think I became spoilt in my years of having big twin axles - I just love the extra space. The Laser has the wider body now too.

Thanks for that though!

Martin W

www.pennplanning.co.uk

Martin

Perhaps we should substitute the term 'we only produce what is fashionable'!!!!

My favoured layout (only two of us) is the long bench seats at the front with L shaped kitchen and an end bathroom that is the same size as my current van. So far not found one! There are lots of that layout but they cram them into too short a body.

David

43218[/snapback]

Hi David,

Like you that is the layout we prefer and just happened to be out looking in the week and found the perfect van It is the Lunar Delta 2006 only problem being the price !!!!!!!!!! £17500!!!!!!!!!!! could not believe my eyes but is longer than the other two berths and has twice the space in the washroom and unbelievable amount of space in the kitchen. Have a look you will not be disappointed.

Regards

Mark

We have got a Sterling Europa 490. ....4 berth but what really sold us was the fixed bed. ....no more making up the bed. .....we have just had our first trial run in it in Wales. ...apart from the awful weather :( . ....it was brilliant. ..... :)

Our van is a side dinette van (i know slighty older) but i think the trend for the fixed bed vans seem to be that people at times seem to complain about making up the bed at night, we would love a fixed bed van but finance's won't stretch that far yet, and as said earlier there is only two of us maybe thats why we'd also like one, the Lunar quasar EB looks quite nice and looks like it can be towed by most family cars to maybe one day :)

We are on our 2nd fixed bed 'van and love it. However it would have been no good if we had small children, I agree.

The side dinette only provides small bunks doesn't it? OK when the kids are little, but they grow!

The Bailey Auvergne is a good layout with little ones. End dinette that converts into 2 singles or a double. Sliding door so you are separate. Bathroom in the middle.

What do you all think? Do you prefer fixed beds or what?

43208[/snapback]

Hi,

We are an 'old couple' and have a Buccaneer Schooner - a twin axle with a fixed bed and end shower room.

It has the 'L' shaped living area, which really gives a feeling of space.

I don't think we could get better for us, except 5th wheelers, travellers caravans etc.

Don't think they are a good idea in this 'little' country.

Our dream is to get a mega motor home and tow a small car. .......one day ;)

Gizmoman

I have a 5th wheel and it works great in this country I agree the big ones dont work too well but ours is 24ft long 7. 5wide and it has a slide out which gives us more room but makes it smaller for travelling some caravans are much bigger and the towing length is much longer as we only tow about 21ft and have 24ft living space

lizz

Gizmoman

I have a 5th wheel and it works great in this country I agree the big ones dont work too well but ours is 24ft long 7. 5wide and it has a slide out which gives us more room but makes it smaller for travelling some caravans are much bigger and the towing length is much longer as we only tow about 21ft and have 24ft living space

lizz

43823[/snapback]

Hi Lizz,

Could you give me some info on your outfit. Make, web-site etc

We saw a 5th wheeler on the road some months ago and it looked huge!!

The total length of our outfit is over 40 ft, sounds as though yours is a lot shorter.

Gizmoman

" we only produce what people want"!

I agree with Klyne. They're pandering to the fads of the well-off, the nouveou riche and the shallow must-haves with too much disposable income. Focus Groups? Pah! In a few years, fixed beds will be as dated as leather furniture, laminated wooden floors, ceiling spotlights etc will become.

Sorry to be a bit negative - hope you find what you're after.

Regards,

Gizmoman they do seem to look bigger than they are I have a gulfstream amerilite if you look at www. niche-marketing. net that is the dealer that imports them.

You have 40ft length and I bet you dont have a kingsize bed and go up stairs to bed like I do

lizz

we only produce what people want"!

I agree with Klyne. They're pandering to the fads of the well-off, the nouveou riche and the shallow must-haves with too much disposable income. Focus Groups? Pah! In a few years, fixed beds will be as dated as leather furniture, laminated wooden floors, ceiling spotlights etc will become.

Sorry to be a bit negative - hope you find what you're after.

Regards,

43825[/snapback]

You can never have too much. .........the more the better ;)

He says rubbing his hands :D

:lol: Ha Ha! Wait 'till I collect my redundancy payment next month! Hee Hee ! :lol:

Archived