Breakdown Recovery

Griff

Thinking ahead to recovery if it is ever needed.

Checking with the AA on the cover that my current type of membership offers, they will recover a caravan provided that it was under tow when the breakdown occurred provided that it is not longer than 8 metres- 26ft and ‘that this can be done safely under tow’

Not sure what circumstances the Patrol Man would have to consider – any using this Forum?

This does not give me total peace of mind and wondered if any of you guys have subscribed to any other non-AA service which can cope with large vans come what may? according to the brochure mine is 7. 986 metres just 1/2" inside! :unsure:

Cheers,

Griff.

Living the dream, well more of a nightmare if the truth be known ~ Griff    :ph34r:

Wheels at the front ~ Discovery 4 Towing Machine

Wheels at the back ~ 4 of ‘em

We use the C&CC Arrival scheme as run by the RAC. When we joined we had a look at others but many had a width issue for putting van on a low-loader in event of an accident. As you have a wide van check before you buy.

Nev & Tina

Caravan Club Mayday, too. :)

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

We belong to Britannia and have also been told that they will recover any size of caravan being towed by ourselves, but did warn me that with a large van we might have a bit of a wait for a larger recovery van if necessary.

Jog

Hi

I think you may find that the AA may tow a 8 mtr van but i was informed rightly or wrongly that they could not transport a van longer than 18ft not including the A frame if it was beyond towing.

Dave

I think you may find that the AA may tow a 8 mtr van

43163[/snapback]

Yes the AA do say that they will tow a van of an 8 metre maximum length, but only as long as they (presumably whoever is driving the recovery vehicle) deem it safe to do so.

Just wouldn't be able to settle with the uncertainty after all what happens to the van if for whatever reason they say, sorry mate no can do.

Do we leave the van wherever it might be and just get ourselves and the car home?

Caravan Club Mayday looks promising.

Griff.

Living the dream, well more of a nightmare if the truth be known ~ Griff    :ph34r:

Griff.

My main concern with the AA (of which i am a member) is if the caravan becomes un-towable i:e the axle was to become damaged or wheel hub, then i was told that they could not put it onto a transporter if it was more than 18ft in length (not inc A frame). When my membership comes up for renewal i shall be looking elsewhere.

Dave

My main concern with the AA (of which i am a member) is if the caravan becomes un-towable i:e the axle was to become damaged or wheel hub, then i was told that they could not put it onto a transporter if it was more than 18ft in length (not inc A frame).

43172[/snapback]

Good point Dave.

I rang the May Day office today who told me that there are no restrictions on caravan length not sure whether that's towable or loadable length or both.

Sending me the blurb and a quote tomorrow which I will check out that issue.

Looks on par with the AA with the £ info given over the phone.

If it looks as good as it sounds :) will take it out and let my AA cover lapse.

Will keep you posted.

Griff.

I am waiting for our current AA to run out then we will be looking to swap. My big concern is that even though they will recover up to 8 mtr van, if the car is the problem they will help with the van recovery. What do you do then? The only saving grace with the AA is that it covers the person not the vehicle so no matter which car you are in you are covered.

Grand cherokee+ Swift Conqueror

The only saving grace with the AA is that it covers the person not the vehicle so no matter which car you are in you are covered.

43333[/snapback]

Spoke to the Caravan Club rep for Mayday at Earls Court on Friday to get some facts and figures from them, who also confirmed that there is no limit to caravan length/weight with Mayday.

To compare like for like with my AA package at the moment for:

Full Comprehensive Breakdown Cover including the Caravan and double journey cover.

Home Call (Same as AA Homestart).

Personal Cover. This covers both me and my wife for our second vehicle.

This came to £113 the lot

My wife tells me that we are currently paying £110 for the same cover to the AA except that the AA have their ‘if safe to do so’ clause.

We will change. :)

Griff.

Archived