Sign in to follow this  
John_b_45

Over Weight, Under Powered Or Simply Inept?

Followed a queue of traffic yesterday on the A17. 60mph speed limit and road dry and well maintained. Caravan leading the way followed by a lorry which eventually managed to overtake the caravan.

Speeds varied between 34mph and rare maximum of 48mph according to my Sat Nav.

This is why we all get a bad name. :angry:

Now someone remind me that the caravan has a perfect right to travel on a wide, well maintained "A" road at those speeds - of course you will be correct! :(

No, unless high winds I think he was just showing a lack of driving ability and lack of consideration for other road users.

but a lorry on the a17 should only do 40 if single carage way or 50 duel carageway, and a caravan 50 on a single

Edited by newarkcaravans

Guest Inner State

I had a post put on a forum about me doing 50mph in a 60 limit ! Problem is the poster didn't know the law regarding vans and my Sprinter legally can only do 50 mph on single carriageway roads. I was niceley berated in public on a forum so the deed was returned with interest.

J

When I picked up my new caravan a few weeks ago I was travelling on the motorway in wet and gusty conditions at approx 57mph according to my speedometer. ... I felt comfortable at this speed, but a huge great HGV ( with the usual row of spotlights on the cab roof ) insisted on tailgating and eventually tried to overtake me.

I maintained my speed at approx 57mph and despite a valiant effort from the 'so called HGV driver' he had to relent and drop back behind me because I would imagine his lorry was governed to a speed restriction?

He gave me a blast on his air horns and the usual row of spots were flashed and then sat on my EDIT until I got off the motorway at the next junction!....

Whilst I appreciate that not all caravanners make perfect drivers, and not all HGV drivers are intimidating with their driving practices, sometimes there is a lot to be desired from both caravans and lorries when it comes to driving ability. ....

Guest Benzowner

You are driving for pleasure, he is driving for a living, that is the type of attitude that gets a caravanners a bad name, you should have either gone faster, up to your legal limit or slowed down to let him pass to get on with his business.

Just playing devils advocate. .. But. ..

In fairness, the lorry driver may have had an issue with your speed because he is limited to 56mph on a calibrated speedo. Your speedo is probably under reading and you may have been doing an actual ~54mph.

Just a thought, not accusing anybody of anything. .. :). But this type of thing can be frustrating. Personally I would have slowed down a little to help him pass.

I'm sure any professional drivers could comment.

I travel most places on cruise control at bang on a calibrated 60mph for fuel efficiency. I get very frustrated when people overtake and then slow down, then speed up. .. Then slow down. .. Grrrrrr :)

You are driving for pleasure, he is driving for a living, that is the type of attitude that gets a caravanners a bad name, you should have either gone faster, up to your legal limit or slowed down to let him pass to get on with his business.

took the words out of my mouth. There is nothing more frustrating than a vehicle traveling just under a lorrys limit and has either to try and pass or keep slowing and loosing momentum with a heavy load.

Jimmy

I'm not condoning or supporting Rels actions, however the HGV driver's 'business' would be to sit a few yards in front of Rels at his governed 57mph or so and then gradually slow below that speed once he hit the next incline, at which point, to maintain progress Rels would probably have to overtake him. All pretty pointless.

I'm still astonished that every time I drive on motorways or dual carriageways HGV drivers engage in the practice of not overtaking each other for miles on end and block two lanes in so doing. You'd think that after years and years of experience they'd have learned that the governor doesn't miraculously stop working just because they want to pass someone.

Edited by Steamdrivenandy

When I picked up my new caravan a few weeks ago I was travelling on the motorway in wet and gusty conditions at approx 57mph according to my speedometer. ... I felt comfortable at this speed,.

Sorry to be the devils advocate but people moaning at Rels for traveling to slow when he stated" Wet and Gusty Conditions at a comfortable speed" for him so should drive faster and not be happy with the control of his outfit ?

Edited by dave11a

When I picked up my new caravan a few weeks ago I was travelling on the motorway in wet and gusty conditions at approx 57mph according to my speedometer. ... I felt comfortable at this speed, but a huge great HGV ( with the usual row of spotlights on the cab roof ) insisted on tailgating and eventually tried to overtake me.

I maintained my speed at approx 57mph and despite a valiant effort from the 'so called HGV driver' he had to relent and drop back behind me because I would imagine his lorry was governed to a speed restriction?

He gave me a blast on his air horns and the usual row of spots were flashed and then sat on my a**e until I got off the motorway at the next junction!....

Whilst I appreciate that not all caravanners make perfect drivers, and not all HGV drivers are intimidating with their driving practices, sometimes there is a lot to be desired from both caravans and lorries when it comes to driving ability. ....

Sorry to change the subject but is that a photo of a Dobby with a tail ? he looks a lot like our "Lex" My third Dobby and I still cant get used to the tail.

Stevenj

Followed a queue of traffic yesterday on the A17. 60mph speed limit and road dry and well maintained. Caravan leading the way followed by a lorry which eventually managed to overtake the caravan.

Speeds varied between 34mph and rare maximum of 48mph according to my Sat Nav.

This is why we all get a bad name. :angry:

Now someone remind me that the caravan has a perfect right to travel on a wide, well maintained "A" road at those speeds - of course you will be correct! :(

The quicker you put them in your rear view mirror the better as far as I am concerned.

Stevenj

Yes, I take your point Benzowner

I was driving within what I deemed to be safe for the conditions. ....why do some hgv's tailgate and try to overtake one another on motorways when they are both travelling within about 1 or 2 mph of each other and then take miles to overtake ( or fail in the manoeuvre ) and effectively block the first two lanes of a motorway and potentially cause a bottleneck?

Not the actions of 'professional drivers' I would have thought. ...and that is precisely the actions that give lorry drivers a bad image also. ... :)

PS. Professional drivers should be as considerate on the highway as anyone else. ..so two wrongs do not make a right. ..

Sorry to change the subject but is that a photo of a Dobby with a tail ? he looks a lot like our "Lex" My third Dobby and I still cant get used to the tail.

Stevenj

Yep Stevenj. ..... that is indeed a Dobe with a tail! Tail docking in most cases has been outlawed in England since April 2007!

Took me a while to get used to it also after having Dobes with docked tails for many years. ... It's kinda grown on me now though ! ( not the tail ) :)

Sorry to be the devils advocate but people moaning at Rels for traveling to slow when he stated" Wet and Gusty Conditions at a comfortable speed" for him so should drive faster and not be happy with the control of his outfit ?

No, I believe what I was trying to say was that Rels probably should have considered slowing down slightly when the HGV went to overtake to enable a safe and speedy pass.

Would have been better for all concerned IMHO.

Highway code rule 168 springs to mind. Assuming the OP is driving in a normal manner and the LGV tries to overtake, he should allow it to do so. It only takes a few seconds of reduced speed to allow it to pass.

Not that the LGV driver is blameless, he should not intimidate another driver.

So fault on both sides.

Best for the OP to look back impassionately and learn from it rather than simply blame the other driver.

but a lorry on the a17 should only do 40 if single carage way or 50 duel carageway, and a caravan 50 on a single

Not if under 7. 5 tonnes when limit is 50mph on single carriageway but I take the point. However, on a wide well maintained "A" road most lorries will travel at around 50mph providing they are capable of maintaining that speed.

Perhaps the lorry passed the caravan when it was only doing 34mph! :) :)

I reckon to drive at either 60 so that I have to overtake lorries at a reasonable speed or at 50 so they can overtake me comfortably. Driving at 55-57 just makes it difficult for everyone especially on two lane dual carriageways & motorways (eg M11, A14 etc) where lorries sit in the outside lane for ages trying to get past. A bit of thought and consideration is what is needed not the bloody minded "I'm in the right" attitude

Edited by matelodave

He gave me a blast on his air horns and the usual row of spots were flashed and then sat on my EDIT until I got off the motorway at the next junction!....

Sorry but if that lorry was trying to pass me i would have lifted fully off to let him pass.

There are legal MINIMUM speed limits (don't you know :D ) e. g. On motor ways, you can NOT travel slower than 45mph, and if your vehicle or ability prevents you from going faster, you can be in quite a bit of trouble, save from the fact it's very dangerous.

I am not 100% sure if this is the same for A roads, but surely common curtesy will require you to allow 'more able' drivers to pass ?

I reckon to drive at either 60 so that I have to overtake lorries at a reasonable speed or at 50 so they can overtake me comfortably. Driving at 55-57 just makes it difficult for everyone especially on two lane dual carriageways & motorways (eg M11, A14 etc) where lorries sit in the outside lane for ages trying to get past. A bit of thought and consideration is what is needed not the bloody minded "I'm in the right" attitude

100% agree! :)

There are legal MINIMUM speed limits (don't you know :D ) e. g. On motor ways, you can NOT travel slower than 45mph, and if your vehicle or ability prevents you from going faster, you can be in quite a bit of trouble, save from the fact it's very dangerous.

I am not 100% sure if this is the same for A roads, but surely common curtesy will require you to allow 'more able' drivers to pass ?

http://www. safermotoring. co. uk/there-minimum-speed-motorway. html

http://news. bbc. co. uk/1/hi/england/bristol/7171154. stm

Perhaps not ?

There is no minimum speed limit, if you drive too slowly you could be done for inconsiderate driving, but you would need to be going very slowly.

KNARF

It looks to me, after driving on the roads in this country for the last 10 years, that 'considerate driving' is expected of everyone EXCEPT lorry drivers. I have to drive either above 56mph or below it, so that I don't inconvenience a 'professional' driver. Though the so called 'professional' can overtake another one at 56. 5mph and cause as much inconvenience as he likes to other 'amateurs' on the roads. It is of no consequence that slowing down and accelerating costs ME fuel.

Try the M25 where it has been widened to four lanes, the 'professionals' now own three of them.

Is this a joke! (the BBC item)

"I really didn't want to go on the motorway, but I desperately had to go to Staples for an ink cartridge," she said.

"I don't know any other way to get to it so I went that way," she added.

"I think it was one of those things you do by mistake and that's exactly it was, I was on there by mistake.

"It just felt awful. I didn't know what to do. I panicked and turned to jelly inside and I didn't know what to do."

North Avon Magistrates' Court had previously heard that Mrs Cole's GP had been treating her for "fear of driving" for the past three-and-a-half years.

Worth reading the report and wondering how no accident was caused. Was she banned from driving - mmm In reality Yes since forced to re-test I guess!

There are legal MINIMUM speed limits (don't you know :D ) e. g. On motor ways, you can NOT travel slower than 45mph,

Totally wrong. On motorways there is a blanket prohibition on vehicles not able to exceed 30 MPH. Apart from that there is NO MINIMUM SPEED LIMIT unless signposted otherwise.

Sign in to follow this