Noseweight ?

Daveg

:( With my outfit named below can anyone please tell me what the nose weight on caravan should be (or indeed how to work it out !)

Thanks

Dave

Dave

The general view is that 7% of the laden caravan weight makes for the best noseweight. However you have to be careful not to go higher than the nose weight for you car.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

Dave

The general view is that 7% of the laden caravan weight makes for the best noseweight. However you have to be careful not to go higher than the nose weight for you car.

David

43070[/snapback]

Klyne,

The MRO noseweight of the Bretagne is 58kg as delivered from Bailey, add approx 14kg per gas bottle as they go in the front, but spare and battery should reduce that a little as they are past the axle.

Or you could just use the bath scales and some wood to measure it!!

Cheers

Tim

I would think the spare wheel is included in the factory MRO as it is standard equipment on the Bretagne.

Personally I would aim at a noseweight of between 75 and 85 kg. I believe the limit of the Honda is 100 kg but I am not sure of the limit applied to the towbar on the Bretagne.

Cadmann UK's thread includes some ALKo figures, that suggest the max noseweight for the chassis & over run brake system is somewhere in the region of 100-120KG.

43236[/snapback]

Thats all very well for the heavy duty brigade with lots of tow bar capacity. For the average car driver 75-85kgs is about the limit but always check the tow bar and car specifications. Van manufacturers as has been stated before do not always supply vans adequately balanced for the road. The 7% figure is a good guide but for vans a little over 1200kg that may bring you over the limit for your car or bar. My nose weight issue has been reported before and I always check it for the different loadings ( awning/barbecue or not) before going on the road. Sterling seem to have lost the plot a bit but when empty as supplied its fine. Pity they didn't allow for the gas bottles and locker stowage etc etc etc. The caravan club and many other places have details of how and where to check nose weights. Watch the distribution of the loading as well if you do need to move stuff about.

Bob

Bob,

I think that JonathanM is refering to the caravans drawbar download limit, not recommended noseweight. In the case of many caravans this limit is in the region of 100kgs. This is certainly the case with Swift Group.

So in practice with the average saloon the hitch limit will apply but in the case of a large 4x4, the maximum permissable caravan draw bar download is likely to be the limiting factor.

As far as Sterling and other Swift Group nose heavy offerings are concerned,a thread in CT1 contained the contents of a letter from Swift,which stated that these models were designed to be loaded well behind the axles to counteract the high noseweights. This is not something that I would recommend.

Frank

Frank, yes I was referring to the info in Cadmann's post as max noseweights, I neither specified this as being advised or a target that I use, rather that earlier in the thread there was mention of the noseweight of the car in question being a healthy 100kg, close to the max figures as advised by AlKo. In fact several 4wd's have a higher noseweight limit than Alko advise for their chassis, so it is important to remember that not only is 'van noseweigth an issue in terms of what the car can manage, but also with what the van's chassis can manage.