Sign in to follow this  
Scoobycat

Bailey Unicorn Battery Charger ?

Hello, hoping someone can help. We just picked up our new Bailey Unicorn Madrid yesterday and my husband is unsure how the battery charger works.

n our previous vans (including Bailey) we have always had a switch to turn the battery charger on and off. We can't find something similar on the Unicorn apart from the main control panel by the front door.

Assuming it is controlled by the "Master Switch" at the front door, what positions do the switches need to be in to make sure the battery is charging when the mains is plugged in?

Thanks for your help.

If its the same as our peggy 2 there should be a small access hatch under front seat,all switches should be in the up position,then use switches by the door accordingly

The really frightening thing about middle age is knowing you'll grow out of it.

Pegusus S2 Rimini /Honda CRV

There is no separate switch for the battery charger. It is permanently on once you have mains electric connected.

The swtiches by the door, there is one that switches off all 12v supplies and one that switches all the lights off (excluding awning light) but neither switch of the battery charging.

You can check that the battery is charging by looking at the voltmeter and seeing a slight rise when you plug the mains lead in

Brian

it sounds like my adria its auto soon as you plug in the ehu.

The fuses and circuit breakers are under the bunk on the nearside of the van - If you don't turn the main circuit brealer and MCB off (the ones under the bunk) then the charger comes on automatically when you plug the van in. The Master switch by the door just turns off all the 12volt circuits and its a good idea (essential in my opinion) to turn it off when the van is in storage and not being used as there will be a slight drain form stuff that is left on by mistake and things like the radio permanent feed and the ALDE control panel which come on automatically when the Master is switched on

Edited by matelodave

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

Guest jks

There is no separate switch for the charger. The unit is at the back of the fuse box.

I have put one in so I can turn it off when I don't want it on.

The charger is fed from a six amp breaker, but be aware that although on my Valencia the CB is marked "charger", it also feeds three other circuits, i haven't bother to work out what they are yet.

So with that in mind i have in mind, i fitted a switched fuse spur with neon to isolate the charger.

this fits to the RHS of the PDU (fuse box).

Note also the master switch doesn't isolate all the 12volt circuits, again i haven't yet traced out which other circuits are live, but the fridge definitely gets a 12volt feed with the master switch off.

To isolate turn the fridge master switch to the off position.

Just one other small point, something in the my Valencia make a useful single audible 'bleep' when the 240Vac mains is applied.

Tom

Unicorn Valencia MkI + Lexus RX450h

Just one other small point, something in the my Valencia make a useful single audible 'bleep' when the 240Vac mains is applied.

Tom

Microwave?

Regards, Justin

Tom

Yep microwave is the one that bleeps. Well it don't in ours 'cos it's in the loft.

Kia KX 3 auto / Bailey Alicanto Grande Estoril and Swift Challenger 570 (2010 model Not towed - used as a static)

Yep microwave is the one that bleeps. Well it don't in ours 'cos it's in the loft.

Your van has a loft :o

;)

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

Guest Inner State

Why would you want to switch off the charger?

J

J

Will it not cause the battery to 'boil away' if left on foe too long?

Ahhhh, I may have just worked out what is wrong with my led's :o

Mahatma Gandhi

Guest jks

J

You should never leave your battery on charge for long if you are not using it. eg when on your drive.

I heard somewhere that a caravan charger doesn't fully charge the battery, only to 90%. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong

Guest Inner State

The modern chargers shut down and just keep a maintenance charge on when the battery is almost 100%. Thats why I really don't see why anyone would wish to switch it off. Presumably they also wish to isolate it from the car charging circuit too? it really doesn't make any sense to me.

Regards - John

It states in the Bailey handbook, not to leave the charger on constantly.

The Bailey chargers only output around 13. 8 volts so don't boil the battery, but i believe if left on charge long enough will fully charge the battery.

Edited by xtrailman

It states in the Bailey handbook, not to leave the charger on constantly.

The Bailey chargers only output around 13. 8 volts so don't boil the battery, but i believe if left on charge long enough will fully charge the battery.

What it says is

Do not continuously charge the battery when the caravan is not in use

which is not quite the same thing.

See para 3. 4. 2

http://www. bailey-caravans. co. uk/images/Pegasus%20II%20Owners%20Manual%20(Jan%202011).pdf

The output of caravan chargers is 13. 8v which will not fully charge your battery nor will it make the battery boil. Thus it can be be left on whilst using the caravan and in fact there is no switch to turn it off. To get your battery fully charged you need 14. 4v, which is what your car alternator provides when towing, or can be obtained from conventional battery chargers.

Brian

Guest jks

The modern chargers shut down and just keep a maintenance charge on when the battery is almost 100%. Thats why I really don't see why anyone would wish to switch it off. Presumably they also wish to isolate it from the car charging circuit too? it really doesn't make any sense to me.

Regards - John

Not only do Bailey say don't leave it on but the instructions that came with my battery said the same which is why I have put a switch in the circuit.

Guest Inner State

Not only do Bailey say don't leave it on but the instructions that came with my battery said the same which is why I have put a switch in the circuit.

Just checked mine and it says:-

Your caravan is fitted with a 12 volt charger as standard. This converts the 230 volt AC supply into 12

volt DC. This enables the 12 volt equipment in the caravan to function and charges the caravan leisure

battery. A fully charged caravan leisure battery should read 13. 8 volts on the voltmeter mounted in the

control panel.

The charger is capable of charging leisure batteries and will not overcharge.

The 12 volt system is designed to operate with a leisure battery in circuit and should not be turned on

without one connected. The 12 volt supply to the caravan services can be isolated via the 12 volt on/off

switch on the control panel.

Maybe mine has a different setup, I would have thought if there was the need to have the battery charger off whilst on ehu Bailey would have put a switch in for that.

J

Well mine does make my battery boil and my LEDs melt so I think I need to check things out. ..

Mahatma Gandhi

Guest Inner State

Well mine does make my battery boil and my LEDs melt so I think I need to check things out. ..

Sounds like you have a problem!

J

What it says is

which is not quite the same thing.

See para 3. 4. 2

http://www. bailey-ca. ..Jan%202011).pdf

The output of caravan chargers is 13. 8v which will not fully charge your battery nor will it make the battery boil. Thus it can be be left on whilst using the caravan and in fact there is no switch to turn it off. To get your battery fully charged you need 14. 4v, which is what your car alternator provides when towing, or can be obtained from conventional battery chargers.

Brian

I agree its not quite the same.

Just checked mine and it says:-

Your caravan is fitted with a 12 volt charger as standard. This converts the 230 volt AC supply into 12

volt DC. This enables the 12 volt equipment in the caravan to function and charges the caravan leisure

battery. A fully charged caravan leisure battery should read 13. 8 volts on the voltmeter mounted in the

control panel.

The charger is capable of charging leisure batteries and will not overcharge.

The 12 volt system is designed to operate with a leisure battery in circuit and should not be turned on

without one connected. The 12 volt supply to the caravan services can be isolated via the 12 volt on/off

switch on the control panel.

Maybe mine has a different setup, I would have thought if there was the need to have the battery charger off whilst on ehu Bailey would have put a switch in for that.

J

I think the instructions are misleading, looking at the voltmeter 12. 6 volts approx gives the volts for a fully charged battery, while when on charge the battery will read around 13,8 volts.

That's what my previous and present caravan always reads.

As Brian has pointed out the manual actually states turn off when not in use, for example don't leave on continuously charging while at home parked up not used.

Edited by xtrailman