Air Conditioning

Does anyone who has any experience of using roof mounted air-con units have any comments or recommendations on their use.

I'm thinking of having one fitted to our caravan but have been told they work well but are noisy?

The one we were recommended was a Dometic 2100.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

When we ordered our new van which was delivered last year our dealer put us off the idea of having an air con unit. Not quite sure why but I think noise was one objection. Unless you are going to spend a lot of time in a hot climate it might not be a good investment. The one you mention is I assume roof mounted. There are models available that fit under a bunk which might not be so problematic as far as noise is concerned. Its not only the noise in the van but also the noise your neighbours suffer!

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

When we ordered our new van which was delivered last year our dealer put us off the idea of having an air con unit. Not quite sure why but I think noise was one objection. Unless you are going to spend a lot of time in a hot climate it might not be a good investment. The one you mention is I assume roof mounted. There are models available that fit under a bunk which might not be so problematic as far as noise is concerned. Its not only the noise in the van but also the noise your neighbours suffer!

David

43049[/snapback]

If there anything like the portable unit I had at home I would guess they draw a fair bit of current - might be OK in the UK but bearing in mind that many continental sites offer as little as 2 amps :o I think that might of been another reason your dealer put you off

Fiat Rimor Europeo 69P Motorhome

We were in Spain during the latter part of August and a German couple who occupied the pitch two places along from us had a Hobby with aircon fitted on the roof. During the late evenings, we were in no doubt as to when they had it switched on.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

Does anyone who has any experience of using roof mounted air-con units have any comments or recommendations on their use.

I'm thinking of having one fitted to our caravan but have been told they work well but are noisy?

The one we were recommended was a Dometic 2100.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

43045[/snapback]

We have a aircon fitted from new. We would not be without it. Last year we went to France and it was redders !! We closed all windows etc have the aircon running, if we got too hot we would go inside for a cool down. It was fab !! We have used it loads in this country when it’s got a bit warm….cos we can :)

As for the noise, there was a couple next to us with a motorhome, there were some comments on the loudness of their aircon but not on ours :D

The unit’s power consumption is 800 watts; it has a hot air blower as well as the aircon both of which can be used with the two-speed fan.

If you have any questions let me know, I'll have to get the handbook for any techy ones :)

Many thanks for the replies you've sent. I asked about the systems which fit inside the van but was told that they take up a lot of space e. g a whole locker and then ducting has to be installed to route the air losing some of the effectiveness during the process.

The Dometic unit is rated at 2. 1kw and draws 4 amps on full load so that shouldn't prove to be a problem abroad. The unit replaces the omnivent which is fitted to our van and we hardly use tha anyway.

When we aere in France in August we had temps of 35+ and then at night it remained at 26+ which makes sleeping more difficult. The performance of the unit I imagine must be very good the only concern I have is with the noise levels for both myself and my neighbours.

Our unit is an Electrolux. Inside noise the same as a large fan running, which you soon get used to. Outside noise is also sound of fan running which is what it is. I think once you have had one in hot weather you would not be without one. My van, being rather large twin axle, the air con works very well but takes a bit of time to cool things down. I would reccommend one.

Pete

Volvo

• 1 month later...

Ours is an Electrolux as well. It may be that ours needs maintenance & possibly the refridgerant topping up/replacing as it is 5 years old now, but we find it is not as cold as say having the car AC on. It has to be on quite a while to have any real effect and you do have to keep all the windows and door shut otherwise you will lose the cooled air in seconds.

I don't think they are overly noisy but in the UK people tend to mainly have them on in the daytime so is not so noticeable.

2 years ago though we had a very large motorhome 2 pitches down from us and it had 2 of these units on its roof and they had them on all night, it was quite noisy. I believe some people complained about it.

The AC unit came with the van when we bought it, if ours is working 100% then I am a bit disappointed.