Discovery 3

hgrees

Does anyone who has a new model Disco fitted with the removable tow bar have any problems or issues when using an Alko 2004/3004 stabiliser?

No - but only because I too was so unsure :huh: that I chose the adjustable option instead.

More of a plough but at least I know that I can use the adjustable plate and choose what tow ball to use :D

ATB

Moose

I opted for the removable towbar and have found it to be OK. ..I had some inital problems with the lock on the removable section . I have noticed some noise from the towbar when the caravan goes over a bump . ...apart from that the van looks very level, and time will tell how well the towbar stands up to removal . .!!!

• 6 months later...

Just had an adjustable bracket fitted on the missus' new disco 3. Took the 'van for a short test spin on Saturday and everything was fine. Then after about 5 miles it started making the most awful creaking and groaning sound. Pinned it down to the stabililiser hitch (alko 2004) cos when it was released the noise stopped!. I have had the special alko long neck ball fitted which is painted black. As instructed I cleaned the ball with break cleaner before use.

Anybody any comments or experience of this or any tips. I'm hoping that it will stop after a few more miles. We're off to Northumberland for the bank holiday next weekend so hope its ok.

"As instructed I cleaned the ball with break cleaner before use"

When we got our long neck tow ball were were instructed to use fine sandpaper to remove all of the black paint off the tow ball before use.

Maybe this is the reson for the noise as the friction pads are agains the pain and not the steel?

Regards

Trevor

Guest iancjc

we have the black towball and used some fine paper to get all the black off.

If the ball is still black give it a good rub :o although you may have knackered the pads on the stabaliser so these may need replacing. .... not sure about this though. ..

Edited by iancjc

Thanks to TrickyT and iancjc, took the paint off (with a wire brush on a drill) and no more creaking!

By the way, the disco 3 pulled the van fantastically (I am loathed to say it but even better than the X5 and I thought that could not be beaten). The stabilility was a revalation even in strong cross winds and was really relaxed at 60-65 mph and it sits in 6th gear pulling only 1800 rpm so is really quiet. Fuel consumption averaged 21mpg (it only does 25-26 solo).

I tow our Elddis Crusader Superstorm with a Disco 3 fitted with the removable tow bar and have had no problems whatsoever. The Crusader is fitted with a Winterhoff WS3000 hitch/stabiliser and the tow ball is at the perfect height when fitted with the Disco's suspension at 'normal' height. The Disco is a fantastic tow car and although towing eats the fuel (I get between 19-21mpg) the car is superbly comfortable and quiet and hardly knows the caravan is on the back. Get to 60 mph, set the cruise control and she'll sit there all day!

The hardest part is getting the towbar in and out of the stowage in the left hand side of the boot <_< . It's a snug fit and the towbar is heavy! You also have to watch that you don't dislodge any of the fuses for the towing sockets - the fuse box is located just above the towbar when it is stowed and it's all to easy to knock the fuse box when you're trying to remove or return the towbar from or to its stowage.

• 3 weeks later...