Recent Downtime

Gman

Copied from Notes and News

First of all a big apology from me to all members for the recent extended period of downtime. I'll not make any excuses, but will give you the reasons:

1. Members requested the addition of a gallery to the forum.

2. In order to do this we needed to upgrade the forum software.

3. I was unable to perform the upgrade as the automated process corrupted the database.

4. Restored from backup and decided to let the experts handle it.

5. The experts (the software writers) were unable to upgrade for the same reason that stopped me. They however simply sent me a message (at 1. 30am) that they needed high level access to some server software to fix the problem. I received this message the next morning.

6. I gave them the access and they sat on the job for the rest of the day. Very frustrating as further tickets to push them along just sent us to the back of the queue and phone calls to their base in the States just got answered by polite brick wall receptionists.

7. Once they got round to doing anything I found that only the front screens worked and the rest of the database was corrupted.

8. Gave up wiped the lot and restored from backup.

The issue we have with these sorts of situations is that one just doesn't know what is going on in the support department and there is no way of finding out. The job could be completed in the next 5 minutes or the next 5 days.

I don't plan to repeat this exercise in the same way again. It isn't however in my nature to give up and plan a different, more time consuming but safer, approach.

I'm going to build a new forum on a new server, install the latest software, and attempt to set up a reliable upgrade process for the data based on our backup files rather than live data. I then plan to migrate the live data following the same process that worked with the backup. Hopefully I can persuade the new server to 'spoof' the old domain name (pretend it's caravantalk. org. uk) but if this isn't possible I've got a few more caravantalk domains up my sleeve. This is needed because the DNS propagation period between servers can take up to 48hrs and I don't want the site down for this length of time again.

Again, my apologies for the downtime. I'll do my best to make sure that this doesn't happen again. ....

G.

Copied from Notes and News

First of all a big apology from me to all members for the recent extended period of downtime. I'll not make any excuses, but will give you the reasons:

42964[/snapback]

Thanks for all your efforts. I know from bitter experience how frustrating this kind of thing can be.

I think a few of our last posts disappeared into cyber space after the recent downtime - not that I am complaining of course you mods do a great job even when things don't go to plan :D

Fiat Rimor Europeo 69P Motorhome

Thanks for info.

Suggest you cut the 'ties' to USA. Service is not their No 1 priority unless it is for 'Big Bucks' That's my experience FWIW.

Mike

Thanks for info.

Suggest you cut the 'ties' to USA. Service is not their No 1 priority unless it is for 'Big Bucks' That's my experience FWIW.

Mike

43019[/snapback]

Just what I was going to say! An "owners club" website I was involved with some years ago had exactly the same problem. I would try and get someone nearer to home and with some guarantee's.

At least in the UK you "could" get at them physically.

None-the-less, your perseverance is much appreciated by all members, I am sure.

Archived