Northern Ireland, Bally Castle

Lee E

Silvercliffs In Bally Castle

Hi All

I have just come back from Silvercliffs in Bally castle (part of the Hagan's leisure group), where we were to stay for a week. It was the end of the season and closing the next week but we were very disappointed for the following reasons.

1. NO WATER! I went down to reception to complain that none of the taps on the touring site worked. THe maintenance man informed me that the tap near to our van hasn't worked for years! He kindly showed me to the only working tap. I then politely told him that this tap didnt work either. THe only way i could get water was to take it from an empty static pitch!

2. POOR HYGIENE! The toilet/shower facilities were nothing short of terrible. The toilets were unusable due to faeces not being cleaned from them. The toilets were not cleaned at all during our stay of four nights. Also there was a fly infestation in the toilet block. Fortunatley the flies had all died, but then fell on your head as you entered! The floors in the showers were not mopped al week. Needless to say we used our own toilet facilities

3. Facilities. We chose this site because it had good facilities - a swimming pool, bar, laundry facilities. The swimming pool was run down and again had some infestation of dead flies!! We went into the pool and my wife wondered what i was doing - i was splashing all the dead flies out of the water - we got out after that. The changing facilites were also very run down - stains and chewing gum on the floor. Also the laundry facility was closed - we had to go to laundrette in the next town.

4. Site. The whole site appeared run down. Many of the static caravans were in a poor state of repair. Dog fouling was not cleared up.

It is a shame that we had such a bad experience since the site had a lot of potential - stunning scenery over the irish sea and great facilities (if they werent run down and unhygienic).

I am sorry if this sounds so negative but there really was nothing good about the site in my opinion.

Any how enough said - visit at your peril. sad.gif

43417[/snapback]

hi lee, sorry to hear about silvercliffs, glad you warned us as we were going to try it next year. Any way can i recommend Ballyness in Bushmills, it is absolutely spotless, a superb site, facilities are excellent also try Drumheglis in Ballymoney.

This is our first year in the caravan and always looking for good recommendations.

wee trucker

Pathetic isn't it? I think some people here think that we will just accept anything because we are a captive market. In general most public toilets etc in N Ireland are below par and with the rubbish around the place it is embarrassing showing visitors around. I had a look round that site last time I was up that area and didn't think much of it. It's about time that local councils realised their shortfall in supplying public services and some site owners address their service duty too.

As well as the sites wee trucker mentions, try the council run site at Benone, the sites at Cushendun and Cushendall are quite nice too, basic but fine, though make sure to book a grass site at Cushendall as the rest is little more than a car park.

Cheers

fatcol

hi lee, sorry to hear about silvercliffs, glad you warned us as we were going to try it next year. Any way can i recommend Ballyness in Bushmills, it is absolutely spotless, a superb site, facilities are excellent also try Drumheglis in Ballymoney.

This is our first year in the caravan and always looking for good recommendations.

wee trucker

43419[/snapback]

Thanks wee trucker. I am going to give Drumheglis a try next year - whats the facilities like?

If you want some recommendations then there's Castlearchdale - plenty to do and loads of facilities but does get very busy and a little roudy in July. If you go to Castlearchdale then request hard standing since the grass sites aren't great - very muddy. Lough melvin Holiday center in Garrison is lovely and open all year. There is a nice cafe there open all year. We went there last year in January and loved it.

Gosford forest park in Armagh is again a nice site run by the forestry service. Very cheap too! The toilet facilities are adequate there but not great. Again there is nice walks here and a small cafe is open in the summer.

Tullymore forest park in Newcastle is again a lovely site - it arguably has the best scenary of any site in the North.

Anyhow thats enough to get you started!!

Regards

Lee :)

Pathetic isn't it? I think some people here think that we will just accept anything because we are a captive market. In general most public toilets etc in N Ireland are below par and with the rubbish around the place it is embarrassing showing visitors around. I had a look round that site last time I was up that area and didn't think much of it. It's about time that local councils realised their shortfall in supplying public services and some site owners address their service duty too.

As well as the sites wee trucker mentions, try the council run site at Benone, the sites at Cushendun and Cushendall are quite nice too, basic but fine, though make sure to book a grass site at Cushendall as the rest is little more than a car park.

Cheers

fatcol

43521[/snapback]

Thanks for the reply Fatcol

Have you been to the site in Cushendun? I have fancied staying on the site in cushendun and would like to know whats good about it.

Regards

how dare they treat you like this thats the first part post on here now ring them and tell them you have posted a reveiw on a web site and e-mail the management it gives them a indication of the potential loss in business sites like this better wake up i would be inclined to ring some sites next year and tell the why we ARE NOT BOOKING WITH THEM and tell them to stick that in there glossy ads. ...it seams to me the more glossy the add the worst it is ????????hard erned money up the wall again

Thanks for the reply Fatcol

Have you been to the site in Cushendun? I have fancied staying on the site in cushendun and would like to know whats good about it.

Regards

43632[/snapback]

Lee

The site at Cushendun is a nice, quiet, secluded site, it's a few minutes walk from the village and the beach. Have a look at the Moyle council website for the Antrim coast sites.

Cheers

fatcol

Thanks wee trucker. I am going to give Drumheglis a try next year - whats the facilities like?

If you want some recommendations then there's Castlearchdale - plenty to do and loads of facilities but does get very busy and a little roudy in July. If you go to Castlearchdale then request hard standing since the grass sites aren't great - very muddy. Lough melvin Holiday center in Garrison is lovely and open all year. There is a nice cafe there open all year. We went there last year in January and loved it.

Gosford forest park in Armagh is again a nice site run by the forestry service. Very cheap too! The toilet facilities are adequate there but not great. Again there is nice walks here and a small cafe is open in the summer.

Tullymore forest park in Newcastle is again a lovely site - it arguably has the best scenary of any site in the North.

Anyhow thats enough to get you started!!

Regards

43631[/snapback]

Hi Lee check out Ballymoney council website for details,had a wander round it one day facilities loked good also have a boat slip as its right on the banks of the bann making it very busy in the summer.

We have tried gosford and tullymore and like both, heading to castlewellan this weekend. Also a better site in fermanagh is Loaneden in kesh

regards wee trucker

Thanks for all the replies.

Regards

Lee