Thetford Fridge Problems

Hi everyone hope someone can help with a problem I'm having.

I'm in Wales on holiday just now and the fridge is playing up on electricity (I haven't tried gas yet). The fridge seems to be cooling a bit but not as low as I would expect (especially as it is set to full) and the freezer isn't working at all (I've had an ice cube tray in it for a week and it's still full of water). I don't have much food in the fridge and only the one ice cube tray in the freezer. The light on the fridge works when I open the door.

When I got the caravan serviced in September last year I told them that I didn't think the fridge was working right but they told me that they tested it and I probably didn't have the caravan level. I've made sure the caravan is level this time with a spirit level.

I'm going to try it on gas to see if it gets any better.

Does anyone else have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help and reading this.

Which model is it?

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

I find with my Thetford that gas is best. I turn it DOWN to 2 marks on the thermostat.

It's only a small flame. This means it is not using a lot of gas. Maybe once it is cold the 240 can take over?

On 240 Volt it is put on full setting at home for three hours and heat can be felt on the outer vent.

My friend reckons his fridge on electric takes 3 days to get really cold. :blink:

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

Thanks for the reply Lefthand Down, I switched it over to gas this morning and it is noticeably cooler after 2 hours. I think I'd better get the van back to the dealer when I go home as I think it is an electrical problem (was using off electric for over a week without any real cooling).

Are you on a level site?

I've heard that if they are not totally level they dont like it.

If the unit gets cool on gas but not mains electricity, then it is sufficiently level to operate OK, irrespective of the heat source. If the ice cube tray still contains water after being on electricity for a day, there is definitely something wrong - so refer the matter to your dealer.

Hope that you get it sorted OK.

Regards,

David

Lunar Lexon SE (with Truma SE mover) pulled by BMW 540i M-Sport or Mitsubishi Pajero 3. 5 (on LPG)

Did you check for heat from the flue outside? Gas and Electric?

Some vans can only use this to confirm they are lit. No indicators or flame window.

• 11 years later...
2 hours ago, mrtcooke said:

Hi all

I am also having problems with my Thetford 3112 3 way fridge freezer. All the LEDs are flashing and I cant get it set on any power 

Welcome to C&MT.

You've posted in an 11 year old thread. You might get a better response by starting a new thread in the Caravan Fridge section with more detail of what's wrong, whether you've had it working OK in the past, how old the van is etc

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

If your getting flashing lights it’s down to one of two things 

wiring from the 12 volt Lesure battery or the battery.

easy way to test is to take a black new wire from the Lesure battery  negative to the black wire at the back of the fridge and the same thing a purple wire from the positive of the Lesure battery  to the purple on the back of the fridge make sure the battery is fully charged .

this is the 12 volt system  that has to be on in order to use the gas or the mains electric.

Still not working could mean the pcb needs replacing .

but prior to that best get. a dealer to test the fridge first

Edited by Sonar

On 14/08/2023 at 14:35, mrtcooke said:

Hi all

I am also having problems with my Thetford 3112 3 way fridge freezer. All the LEDs are flashing and I cant get it set on any power source???

You will have an LED version

press the left arrow, square button and the right arrow button ( so all three that are together) all at the same time, after a few seconds one or more of the squares on the temperature blocks will light up.

Once you know what ones tap back and it should be able to point you in the right direction for a cure 🤔

Random bloke on internet forum 🙄

I am happy to explain it to you…. but I am unable to understand it for you 🥴