Mice In The Van . . . . .

mary ross

Picked the van up last week to go away for half-term, hubby said he'd noticed 'black bits' on the worktop above the heater. Sure enough, there were lots of little black specks, above the heater, in the cupboards, under the beds, in the shower tray . . . . need I go on? :(

Inside a hiking boot was a wee nest, made from a chewed up towel, and lots of other bits and bobs, and nicely stocked up with dog biscuits! No sign of any four legged friends in residence, but boy, did that caravan get a good clean out! Fortunately, although the mice had done quite a lot of fetching and carrying, moving things like matches from the drawer above the heater to the adjacent cupboard, they had not yet got on to chewing the cushions.

We store it at a CASSOA approved site, with fantastic security barriers, cameras, swipe card entry system, etc. but unfortunately it is on a farm, and we hadn't thought about mice. When we took the caravan back today, it was stripped of all upholstery, no dried food left inside, but what else can we do? Any ideas gratefully accepted. :unsure:

It's been mentioned on here before that laying sheets of "Bounce" fabvric softner sheets deters mice, apparently they don't relish the substance on them, haven't tried it though, maybe someone else will post on that.

You will need to find out where they are getting in - and put wire mesh or similar over the hole to stop them doing so. Clearly if they have been in the caravan they will be able to get back in again the same way.

Mouse traps work !!

Margaret

Margaret

I don't do technical !!!

Just me and my showdogs!!

Unfortunately, it's unlikely you can completely "mouseproof" a caravan. They all need some ventilation and a mouse can get through a surprisingly small hole. A good test is using a bic pen. If a hole is big enough to insert one of those, it's big enough for an adult mouse to get through, let alone a young one.

Mouse traps do work, bait them with chocolate rather than cheese, mice have a sweet tooth! Make sure there is no other accessible foodstuff.

Perhaps a more urgent concern than cushions are things such as electric cables. Rodents teeth never stop growing, they need to knaw to keep them under control. Many a home has had electical equipment damaged by mice knawing at cables and of course, in the worst scenario, it's a fire hazard.

I keep my 'van in store on farm, so this is one of the problems to watch for. Apparently sprinkling a liberal amount of moth balls in lockers has been proven to be excellent deterrent. I hate mice. :o

Thought I would try a Cat but the droppings were sort of more offensive and having to keep nipping back to feed it became tedious? ;) Just kidding!

Griff.

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front Green Oval Towing Machine

Wheels at the back Bessacarr 845

Hi

I used to run a small mountain shack for our youth club. Mice were only ever a problem if the people before us had left food or crumbs.

Mice will not be a problem if you ompletely remove all foodstuffs and hoover well in the nooks and crannies to remove crumbs etc.

If there is no food then the mice will not bother you.

regards

lee

I can only echo the advise above. Try and find where they get in and fit it with gauze to stop them. Remove all nice to eats. But check all the electrics over as I once had one living in a central heating boiler and boy did it take a time to find out why the electrics kept tripping out. They like to eat insulation. Mouse traps and a bit of poison will help.

Happy hunting

Bob

Hi

I used to run a small mountain shack for our youth club. Mice were only ever a problem if the people before us had left food or crumbs.

Mice will not be a problem if you ompletely remove all foodstuffs and hoover well in the nooks and crannies to remove crumbs etc.

If there is no food then the mice will not bother you.

regards

lee

42829[/snapback]

As the weather turns colder, mice (and other pests) will seek shelter. Although it's true that food is an extra incentive for them to enter a caravan, (relative) warmth and shelter can bring them in even if all food is removed.

I don't know about mothballs or "bounce" as deterents but if they work, great. As mentioned earler, traps work, particulary the old fashioned "break back" type. I would doubt that many readily available poisons will work, the pest control industry has a huge problem with resistance to most of these.

Thanks for all the advice so far, we think they got in through the drop hole under the gas fire, as most of the 'evidence' was behind the fire and in the locker next to the fire. We thought about stuffing the gap with stainless steel pan scrubbers, which should still allow air through, but would it be enough ventilation?

It really was tedious yesterday removing everything we thought they might eat, and I can't imagine being able to take the time to load and unload to this extent every time we use the 'van. :(

Poison is a bit of a no-no, with a dog who can't keep her nose out of things!

I think I've heard the Bounce advice before, and I know they like chocolate on traps (although they really must have loved the dog treats we had left in the van as the boot with the nest in was full of them!) Luckily there were no mice in the nest - or had they done a vanishing act when we started hitching up at the storage site? I just feel a bit queasy about finding dead bodies in the van, :o, although that would be preferable to finding cables chewed through. They had managed to chew through the wire on a cheap set of earphones used for late night tv when Hubby wants to watch tv and I'm ready for sleep.

Might try the mothballs and the Bounce, with a few traps.

Picked the van up last week to go away for half-term, hubby said he'd noticed 'black bits' on the worktop above the heater.   Sure enough, there were lots of little black specks, above the heater, in the cupboards, under the beds, in the shower tray . . . . need I go on?  :( 

Inside a hiking boot was a wee nest, made from a chewed up towel, and lots of other bits and bobs, and nicely stocked up with dog biscuits!  No sign of any four legged friends in residence, but boy, did that caravan get a good clean out!  Fortunately, although the mice had done quite a lot of fetching and carrying, moving things like matches from the drawer above the heater to the adjacent cupboard, they had not yet got on to chewing the cushions.

We store it at a CASSOA approved site, with fantastic security barriers, cameras, swipe card entry system, etc. but unfortunately it is on a farm, and we hadn't thought about mice.   When we took the caravan back today, it was stripped of all upholstery, no dried food left inside, but what else can we do?  Any ideas gratefully accepted. :unsure:

42792[/snapback]

Hi Mary

I posted the bounce site some 18 months ago on the old forum.

here is the webb site

http://www. my. homewithgod. com/mkcathy/household/bounce. html

Regards

Dave

I think you will find that mice can teleport (been me up Scotty type of thing) :),

I always have mouse traps down, chew some chocolate and stick it to the traps 3 or 4 traps or more :rolleyes: , check them every few weeks, perhaps when you rotate the tyres to stop flat spots.

If you poison them, they go away to die, somewhere in the van and they will stink as they rot :(

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

I thought Maragarets idea was very good as they hopefully wouldn't be able to get in the van in the first place. Thought about cutting up a couple of those mesh frying pan splatter guards ( which can normally be found in the £1 shop) and securing with blue tack on the inside of any vents, but no sure if it would allow adequate ventilation. ?

Twitch

Hi, we had the same problem a few years ago with our old van. .. even found mouse in Caravan!! Check all air vents in the floor. The hole for the waste water was a little large and this was the front door I think, I sealed around all items going through the floor and checked all mesh vents, then I had no moe problems.

Hope this helps

Living in Lincolnshire we have our fair share of mice :(

I use mouse traps, and to make it a bit more challenging I melt the cheese on the trap as they have been known to scarper with the bait :o

Fiat Rimor Europeo 69P Motorhome

I don't reckon you can keep a mouse out if they want to get in, they can get through the smallest of gaps and they are so acrobatic. I was absolutely staggered how they managed to get into my new house some years back - any caravan would be a doddle by comparison.

You just have to take precautions. I would second the traps and not the poison as they will stink for years after. Also if the van is laid up remove the soft furnishing aka warm mouse bedding.

Went to check on the van on Sunday. No sign of mice, huge vent under heater stuffed with wire wool, and placeD fabric softener sheets around the area where most mousEy activity was last time. Cushions are at home, getting liberally sprayed with Febreze, as I was convinced I could smell mice on them.

Fingers crossed, or next time IT'S WAR!!!!!!!!! :angry:

:) We have open fields at the back of our house and have had the odd mouse pay us a visit we caught them in traps bated with chocolate . We now have an ultra sound plug in alarm thats suposed to detere mice as they dont like the sound . Ours works of the 240 /13 amp supply, but i do remember reading on the packet that they did a 12V version . We bought ours fom Aldi, i think they were about £2-49 Coljac

• 2 weeks later...

We went away in the van this weekend and yes you guessed it, mice droppings everywhere!

On returning home we emptied the van and noticed one windbreak (stored under the bed) had been chewed up and one curtain had been nibbled. We have now put the van back in storage (after a good clean) and put traps in the van.

In hindsight we should have kept traps in the van whenever we weren't using it. Wont make that mistake again!

Yossa

All the tips about using bounce etc are valid, but the best way to kill them is to use the old type mouse trap, bate it with melted chocolate then set the trap on hair trigger and place it in a corner where you have seen signsof them . try to make sure the van has no other food in it . This will kill off any mice you have, and the bounce should keep them out Coljac

Have set traps and used toxic bait, also put mothballs around van. Next step is to use 12 gauge shotgun!

For those fortunate not to have mice. .....be warned and put traps down!

Yossa

• 4 weeks later...

Been to storage compound to check on the van every 2 weeks, went up today - mice dirt in the same areas again! :angry: So the Bounce sheets didn't work, and the place we thought they were getting in may have been wrong. We've just realised that where the hot air ducting goes under the floor next to the heater, there's a gap, possibly big enough (I know it doesn't need to be very big,) so we've stuffed that with copper pan scrubber wire, and we've set two traps.

Fortunately, I took the cushions out after the last trip, and there's not nearly as much evidence about this time. So maybe the van's not so attractive now! Fingers crossed, we'll be inspecting the van just about every day, till we go away on 30th Dec.

Think I might need Yossa's shotgun!!!

Archived