Vw Clutch Groaning Sound

matt

Sorry if the titles a bit vague but does anyone have experience of driving, probally a Passat TDI, whereby when pulling away and slipping the clutch slightly on a hill like you do, theres a loud groaning, graunching sound coming from the engine/ transmission area. If you've had this noise, you'll know what I'm on about! I've now driven three VW cars one a TDI engined and two 2. 0 petrol and have found the same characteristics on all three.

The clutch and gearchange will be fine, it just makes this sound when theres a tendancy to slip the clutch with highish revs.

No lectures on slipping the clutch PLEASE :D

Cars affected will be late 90's with mileage from 45k upwards.

Thanks Pete. Good thread but not what I'm after! The query isn't on a car I own, rather one I want to buy for my wife and it doesn't involve slipping clutches or burning smells, more noisy intrusion from the engine/ transmission upon pulling away. Thinking about it, the very harsh noise that comes through when pulling away, resonates from the engine and continues as you accelerate through first gear if driving hard. Its not a one off as I've found this on 3 seperate VW cars I've driven. I'm wondering whether its an engine mount problem whereby once they wear - when you let the clutch out and give it some stick, the engine throws backwards a bit on the worn mounts and makes some kind of contact on the car thus transmitting engine resonance through the car.

Its very very noticable and anyone towing (because its straining) with a Passat is bound to be aware of it = alot of harsh engine noise verging on groaning when sliiping the clutch and accelerating hard from standstill.

I wish I could suss this out as theres a lovely car for sale that we want to buy but for this.

Its very very noticable and anyone towing (because its straining) with a Passat is bound to be aware of it = alot of harsh engine noise verging on groaning when sliiping the clutch and accelerating hard from standstill.

I wish I could suss this out as theres a lovely car for sale that we want to buy but for this.

42787[/snapback]

I'm not being funny here but you mention slipping the clutch as though you do it a lot, surely this is going to cause undue wear on the mechanism. I would ask, is it wise to do this?

I had a Passat 4motion TDi for 12 months and towed a Lunar Lexon (Ultima) with no noise that you describe, it was nearly the best car I have ever towed with.

navigator

Matt,

As far as I'm aware no one has reported a similar problem to yours on this forum,and I hav not read of a similar problem on the various VW forums. I know several VW owners and none have mentioned the symtoms that you speak of,although they are all newer vehicles.

It sounds to me as if the problem could lie in the Dual Mass Flywheel,early versions of which are prone to premature wear and hence noise and vibration,however the vibration is likely to be noticeable even when idling due to lateral movement of the inner component of the flywheel.

Try these forums:-

http://www. passatworld. com/forums/

http://www. passatowners. com/po/index. htm

http://www. tyresmoke. net/ubbthreads/postli. ..t=&Board=VagCom

http://forums. vwvortex. com/zeroforum?id=6

Frank

Thank for the links Frank. I've got a feeling now that this is an inherent characteristic of these cars which no one else seems to be bothered by. With the car yesterday though, even the salesman agreed with me about the noise - I think I'll look at a few more yet.

Could it be wear in the D. M. F do you think Frank.

Pete.

42827[/snapback]

Yes Pete,see my ealier post. From what I have gleaned from various articles,earlier versions of the DMF flywheels which of course are not manufactured by the vehicle assemblers are prone to early wear.

Frank