Breakdown Recovery

wagypot1

Any sugestions, looking for breakdown cover, home start etc, to cover caravan recovert plus 3 cars  B)

42742[/snapback]

I'm with Brittannia Rescue have been for many years. I have "1 vehicle and Personal cover on a comprehensive policy" this covers my car for any driver and any car driven by myself or my wife (ie my wife's car), with homestart as well. This option is cheaper than a second car on the policy. They will recover car and caravan/trailer. On one occasion I pranged the car, they delivered me and my car back to the camp site and then collected family' car, trailer and equipment 3 days later to return home. Delivered trailer and family to the house then took the car to the garage! The AA won't do that!

Try MoreThan (Sun Alliance). I've been with them for 2 years and they've just quoted me about £45 for renewal cover for my X-Trail including European cover.

Never had to put them to the test.

• 3 weeks later...
Any sugestions, looking for breakdown cover, home start etc, to cover caravan recovert plus 3 cars  B)

42742[/snapback]

I have always been satisfied with the Caravan Club`s Mayday Scheme, I havn`t used it for 13 yrs but it`s the best alround cover i think there is for folk who tow caravans.

I have always been satisfied with the Caravan Club`s Mayday Scheme, I havn`t used it for 13 yrs but it`s the best alround cover i think there is for folk who tow caravans.

45655[/snapback]

Ron again, Go for the Personal cover it costs around £96. 00 but it will cover all your cars, caravan and it covers you if you are in somebody elses car and that breaks down.

I would endorse comments about Brittania Rescue - Excellent service and value.

Anybody know of a company that will cover just the caravan?

I have a company car and cover is provided by the RAC. Broke down at the weekend and they recovered both the car and van as the fault was with the car. However they did advise that if the fault was with the van I would not have been covered.

Seems pointless to cover the car twice to get caravan cover!!

Mark

Before joining the green flag,

I had free AA cover with my insurance, I phoned the AA asked them what they would charge to cover the van as well, and they just added it to my cover, and charged me the difference :)

its worth a try :)

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Before joining the green flag,

I had free AA cover with my insurance, I phoned the AA asked them what they would charge to cover the van as well, and they just added it to my cover, and charged me the difference :)

its worth a try :)

45740[/snapback]

Apparently the AA are happy to do this but not not the RAC. This was what the RAC driver told me. As my car is a company car I have no choice on who provides the cover. RAC driver recommended CC Mayday interestingly. Must say the RAC were great on getting us recovered sent two tow trucks and as we had three kids in the car they treated us as a priority cannot fault them on getting us home but it would have been different if the problem was with the van and not the car.

Mark

I am with Britannia Rescue but through the CSMA. Their deluxe cover for £71 covers roadside assistance, recovery, housecall and replacement car/hotel accommodation. It also includes free European Cover on named vehicles. There is no limit to the amount of time you can use this service, as long as any one trip does not exceed 90 days. We used to take out separate insurances for our trips to France with the Caravan Club and that was always over £100, so the deluxe cover with Britannia Rescue is a bargain. We also have Personal cover which covers our other car and any other car that we drive. This is an extra £28. 50.

Anybody know of a company that will cover just the caravan?

I have a company car and cover is provided by the RAC. Broke down at the weekend and they recovered both the car and van as the fault was with the car.   However they did advise that if the fault was with the van I would not have been covered.

Seems pointless to cover the car twice to get caravan cover!!

Mark

45734[/snapback]

Generally, CARAVAN insurance covers the caravan when it is static - i. e. not being towed - CAR insurance should cover eventualities with the total road going outfit.

Therefore, I'd look at the car insurance again - difficult with a company car but then you cannot have all the perks I suppose (LOL).

We use the Green Flag a couple of time, found them very helpful, our friend was towing down to Cornwall from Cambridge, broke down half way, call Green Flag out, took them down to their CC site and return them back home with the car on the truck and the van behind, so they did't lose their hoilday, Money well spend we say, go for it, Happy Caravaning, Trevor+Yvonne

Generally, CARAVAN insurance covers the caravan when it is static - i. e. not being towed - CAR insurance should cover eventualities with the total road going outfit.

Therefore, I'd look at the car insurance again - difficult with a company car but then you cannot have all the perks I suppose (LOL).

45758[/snapback]

Hmm, not sure about this one. When I wrote off the caravan in February while towing, no one suggested I should claim off my car insurance. I made the claim on my Caravan Club insurance and they were superb - eleven days from accident to being advised it was a total loss and a new 'van would be provided. Brilliant service.

Mlamont

Hmm, not sure about this one.   When I wrote off the caravan in February while towing, no one suggested I should claim off my car insurance.   I made the claim on my Caravan Club insurance and they were superb - eleven days from accident to being advised it was a total loss and a new 'van would be provided.   Brilliant service.

Mlamont

45837[/snapback]

Mlamont,

When the caravan is on tow,third party risks are covered by the car insurance. When unhitched third party risks are covered by the caravan insurance,

Damage to the caravan is covered by the caravan insurance at all times.

Back on topic. Been with Green Flag and its prvious names for the last 30+ years. We have personal cover. Only ever needed them once. Good service.

Frank

We went with Green Flag in July this year. It cost £65 per annum, lucklily to date we haven't had to use it.

Peace of mind reigns as we seemed to notice quite a lot of caravan breakdowns/accidents.

• 2 months later...

Just been reading through all your comments.

We were covered with AA last year but the renewal has come in at almost £100. ..............have just been looking at Green Flag site and their cover works out a lot cheaper but their small print says caravans are covered up to 21'5 - ours is a foot longer, so I guess that rules them out.

Does Brittania cover any length of van?

Archived