Up And Down

mark.t

just come back from pipers heights great site great time apart from some idiot family who decided to have a mager domestic at 2 in the morn . ......any way my car has self levelling suspension and a nose weight of 75kg which in am spot on with . ..coming back the unit felt very bouncy on the rear end only me daughter on car stopped at a lay-by and noticed that daughter had moved all the bedding and pillows to the rear of the axle . ..she's only 5 and covered her teddies up for the journey . ..moved all the bedding back . ..but it still felt a little light on the front end . ...the more weight I have on the front the better it tows ??????? this goes against most to the rules could it be the self levelling suspension >>/?????any help please

Mark,

Caravans tend to become more stable with an increased nose weight,but don't exceed the lower of the 2 limits.

These are, the towing vehicles hitch limit and the caravans drawbar download limit. The lower of the 2 is usually the towing vehicle except for some 4x4s.

Most cars have a limit of between 65kgs and 85kgs and caravan limits are between 100kgs and 130kgs.

In the case of cars you are recommended to have a noseweight at or near the vehicles limit.

I can't see that self levelling suspension would make any difference.

Frank

Out of interest, what would be the implications of exceeding the cars noseweight limit?

Cheers

42740[/snapback]

DMC,

Exceeding the vehicle or caravan down load limits could result in at least damage to the vehicle and at worst an accident,not to mention invalidating the warranties.

All limits quoted will be considered by the towbar and vehicle manufacurers as 'Safe Static Load' and will have a 'Proof' and 'Ultimate' loading much higher than the quoted limit. Dynamic loads during towing will be substantially higher than the static load.

I have read somewhere that you could also be liable for prosecution under dangerously loaded vehicle legislation.

Frank

Or even the 'construction & use' laws could be called into play.

If a manufacturer says 75kg tow ball limit and you go to 80kg then you are technically breaking the law the same as having 6 people in a 5 seat car.

My mundanoe has self levelling suspension and can be a little bouncy if the van is not loaded correctly. Not sure exactly what my nose weighs, but have a 75kg limit on the ball as well. I need to check it properly at some stage.

Most of what we take goes in the car, so the van is no where near its MTPLM, which I think helps.

It towed superbly on the last outing and home today! Everything loaded exactly the same as the previous outing. Think I'm just starting to get it right after 15months towing this van. ..

My mundanoe has self levelling suspension and can be a little bouncy if the van is not loaded correctly.   Not sure exactly what my nose weighs, but have a 75kg limit on the ball as well.   I need to check it properly at some stage.

Most of what we take goes in the car, so the van is no where near its MTPLM, which I think helps.

It towed superbly on the last outing and home today!  Everything loaded exactly the same as the previous outing.   Think I'm just starting to get it right after 15months towing this van. ..

42746[/snapback]

Hi all,

When you are towing, the pull of the caravan by the car and the air flow over the caravan reduces the down force on the tow ball.

So if you start off with a light nose weight this reduces as you drive hence the instability/bouncing.

All your self leveling suspension will do is ensure that the car drives level without any pronounced dip at the rear end.

I would always recommend setting the nose weight as near to the manufacturers recommended maximum as possible. Your self leveling suspension should still ensure your car is level whilst ensuring you have the maximum amount of down force permissible on the towball.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Steve

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

I have only experienced a 'bouncy' van once (on the move that is).

It was when we picked the van up new, the van was empty and I guess a little light on the nose weight.

Since then, with correct loading and the correct nose weight for the car, everything is solid as rock.

Just a thought though, is the self levelling suspension on your vehicle causing the problem by trying to compensate for the natural pitching of the van when towing?

Yossa

Archived