Tracking

wigelywoo

I have a mobile phone registered with a tracking company. It works to within the nearest phone mast. I would like to "Hide" the phone in the caravan and wire an in-car charger to it to keep the battery charged.

The problem I am foreseeing is the in-car charger gets warm with use.

Any sugestions how to overcome this problem or a safe place to install the charger and phone where they will be undetected.

Thanks in advance.

I have a mobile phone registered with a tracking company. It works to within the nearest phone mast. I would like to "Hide" the phone in the caravan and wire an  in-car charger to it to keep the battery charged.

Any sugestions how to overcome this problem or a safe place to install the charger and phone where they will be undetected.

Thanks in advance.

42712[/snapback]

If its of any help I have left phone chargers plugged into accesory sockets that are always on regardless of the ignition for days on end as well as PDA active holders that are wired to the back of the ciggie lighter with no ill effects.

If you do go down this route, be sensible which network you use as some are better than others for coverage. There are devices sold on ebay which claim to do this for you without the use of a proper mobile phone, not sure if they are any good. If you look at the ones on ebay and buy one then DONT use the supplied SIM card, as then the seller knows where your van is too, always use a new, unregistered SIM card.

Steve

I have a mobile phone registered with a tracking company. It works to within the nearest phone mast. I would like to "Hide" the phone in the caravan and wire an  in-car charger to it to keep the battery charged.

Thanks in advance.

42712[/snapback]

Hi Very interested let me know how it goes.

Pete.

Volvo

I set this up in my 'van before I decided to instal a Satellite tracking system. I had no problems with the phone charger heating up. As for the location within the 'van it really depends on the make as to where you could hide the phone. If you have access to the van on a regular basis and the phone battery has a reasonable life, do you need a charger permanently connected? Under those circumstances you could put the phone in a different location after each charge !!

When I installed the satellite tracking system I moved the phone to my car and it has been installed for many months without problems.

The one thing I would say is that the accuracy of location is sometimes not very good. It all depends on the proximity of phone masts and I believe the system uses more than one mast to try and determine the location.

There is a lot of information on the net, just enter 'phone tracking' on a search engine.

Hi

If you look in the upper lockers at either end of the van you may find that there is a blanking board to 'square-off' the end of the cupboard - this should reveal a useable gap, conveniently close to the 12v supply to a spotlight or two.

Take care with the electrics etc etc :unsure:

ATB

Moose

Hi all,

We have a mobile phone in our caravan. I have fitted a 240 volt socket adjacent to the phone and keep the charger plugged in permanently.

As we caravan at least once a month all year round I do not have any problems keeping the battery charged.

It is worth keeping £10 credit on the phone for emergencies.

You can buy a cheap bracket from most phone accessory shops to hold the phone in place.

Don't forget to set the phone to "Silent"

Cheers

Steve :D

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

Archived