Suggestions For New Car.

Molem

Been having a rethink about towing my new van with my current car - or rather my wife has, in all her infinite wisdom. And so the cheque book looks set to open again, this time for a car capable of towing 1400kg COMFORTABLY, for not too much money. I am able to stretch to £8500 plus whatever I can get as a trade in and discount - so probably £10-11000 - but would prefer to spend less than that. Whatever I buy will be used as the main method of family transport; so it will have to be reasonable on fuel, fairly quick, and a good motorway cruiser. For this reason, I would prefer not to go down the 4x4 route, but would quite like AWD, though it is not essential. Above all, it must be reliable, not too old, and not too heavy on mileage.

Favourite seems to be an Omaga at the moment - an auto estate, preferably with a V6 (2. 6 or 3. 0/3. 2.) Any feedback on these would be appriciated, especailly towing expiriences.

Cheers

James

Diesel will be much better on fuel. ..unless you have petrol car with a gas conversion. Better towing characteristics with diesel too.

You get a lot more car for your money if you don't buy a "name" but of course resale will be less. Depends how long you want to keep it. I bought my Hyundai with the intention of keeping it a long time so resale value wasn't important to me, purchase price was.

I tow a bailey bordeuax with a citroen C5 2ltr diesel it tows very well . I get 33MPG when towing and average about 40 MPG for urban and MW . Citroen are discounting heavily at the moment, so resale values are low, but of course this means there are good 2nd hand deals to be had When i was looking for mine i found that Citroen dealers did better deals than the car supermarkets . The peugot/citroen diesel is [i think the best diesel on the road] coljac

I agree with Coljac. I can't say I recomend the C5 - at least not yet - because I'm just in the process of fitting towbar and electrics. But I've been using hydraulic Citroens as towcars for years, and in my opinion, they can't be beaten. Depreciation is a problem, but as I tend to keep a car for eight years or so, it doesn't matter too much.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

Can I ask what weight of van your C5s tow? My calculations make 1650kg 85% to a 1400 van, and correct me if I'm wrong, but C5s weigh in at about 1500kg.

Cheers for relpying

James

The kerb weight of my C5 Estate is 1530Kgs. Citroen say it can tow a laughable 1600Kgs, but a more realistic weight would be in the region of 1300Kgs - which is the max weight of my van.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

What about a V6 Passat estate? 5 speed automatic, 200hp, 4wd, 1800kg kerbweight? Admittedly, not very economical, but at £10000 for a 52 40000mile model, who cares!

Cheers

James

I have a rover 75 tourer 2. 0ltrCDTi SE and tow a Bailey Indiana I get 28 to 30 mpg towing, and with the present situation these cars can be pick up quite cheap if going for one try to find a full spec as mine witha kerb weight of 1688kgs

All the Best Derek

You could get a decent Mondeo 130 TDCi for that sort of money. Our estate has proved to be very reliable, lots of torque and 31-31mpg towing. Best car I have had and certainly best tower too.

GMC

Hi Just picked up my new car yesterday. 04 reg Vauxhall Vectra, 1. 9 cdti 150 bhp. Have been out in the hills today walking and on the journey there and back (through twisty country lanes) I averaged 45mpg. It's beautiful to drive, handles like a dream (SRi spec) and I can't wait to get the van on the back of it. Best of all, it cost £19500-00 14 months ago, but I paid £10700-00 and it only has 20k on the clock with the first major service already done. I'm totally impressed with it and it got a great towcar write up in this months practical caravan magazine, and that was the 120bhp version!!! Much better than the old Vectra and as powerful as my old V6!! Well worth a look. Anyway good luck in whatever you buy.

Cheers,

Gregg

Hi

Just bought a MG ZT-T which has the BMW 2ltr common rail diesel. It's on a 52 plate with 60 k miles all for £5800. (£22000 just 2. 5 yrs ago !!)

Weighs around 1600 kgs and pulls the van well with the 135hp /300nm of torque and an amazing 45mpg solo and 31 mpg towing. :)

Its got all the kit and looks good in the MG guise.

Has stiffened suspension so sit very level when loaded and has a massive nose weight of 100kg.

Hugh boot and good room inside.

Similar to the rover 75 model but much prefer the MG look.

As they say. ..........cheap as chips !!!!! ;)

check it out !!

maxiboy

You could get a decent Mondeo 130 TDCi for that sort of money.   Our estate has proved to be very reliable, lots of torque and 31-31mpg towing.   Best car I have had and certainly best tower too.

GMC

42993[/snapback]

Hi

I agree the mondeo 130 bhp will take some beating we love ours we got the zetec s version so it looks sporty aswell.

cheers dazkim

Will have a look at both the MG and the new Vectra, and the Mondeo was already on my list. Tried an Omega saloon today and was very impressed, but I think I will try to find an estate with the self-levelling suspension if I decide to go for it.

Cheers

James

Oh, and just out of polite interest, why was a post of mine in this thread deleated? It contained a statement about being 'sceptical of front wheel drive,' which I can only assume was the reason it was deleated, as I have also noticed that GazHyde's thread about the same thing was deleated.

Cheers

James

Oh, and just out of polite interest, why was a post of mine in this thread deleated? It contained a statement about being 'sceptical of front wheel drive,' which I can only assume was the reason it was deleated, as I have also noticed that GazHyde's thread about the same thing was deleated.

Cheers

James

43032[/snapback]

Were they deleted or lost during the 'outage' and 'restore' - easily done if the 'backup' used was not right up to the minute.

• 2 weeks later...

My quest continues. I have test driven an MG ZT-T diesel, which was fairly impressive; likewise for the Mondeo, but less so the new Vectra. However, none of them felt especially special - they lacked the wow-factor I was expecting, and didn't quite seem to be the quantum leap I was expecting over my old Vectra.

Hence, the idea of an older, but higher quality product appeals.

Has anyone driven, towed, or owned a BMW 7-series (00-03 model) preferably the 728i Sport Auto? Stats look good: 1800kg kerbweight, 90kg noseweight limit, 200hp.

Cheers

James

Am on the verge of signing for a Vauxhall Omega 2. 6i CDX Auto Estate - 40000miles 2001 (Y) for £5995. Been offered £2100 for my Vectra, which at 2001Y 1. 8 LS Hatch with 60000 miles on the clock isn't bad.

Do I do it????

Also, at the same garage is a 2002 (52) 2. 0 Ford Mondeo Zetec Hatch with 30000 on the clock. Again for £5995. Been offered £1600 for my wife's 1999 (S) Skoda Felicia 1. 6 GLXi hatch. Sorely tempted, and overall should work out no more expensive for the two than I was planning to spend on one.

I need persuading!

Cheers

James

Edited by Molem

Decided not to. Something didn't feel quite right about the dealership; nothing objective, but in the past I have learned it pays to go with your instincts. Gonna have a look at Carcraft near Rochdale on saturday, see what I can find.

Cheers

James