Sign in to follow this  
Surf01

Looking For A Camera With Long Distance Lens?

I know some of you are into photography in a big way. My son who works in a game reserve in South Africa may interested in buying a reasonable camera that can accommodate a large lens to shooting animals that are a long way away. New or second hand. He is on a bit of a budget but does not want something that is cheap and nasty.

Back in South Africa he has been quoted in excess of £2000 which is way beyond his budget. Probably looking for something in the region of between £500 and £750 with lens. Can any one offer any recommendations price wise and where to look as he is in the UK until Friday?

Attached are some samples taken with a normal camera.

post-46338-0-88706600-1335086723_thumb.jpg

post-46338-0-44234300-1335086744_thumb.jpg

post-46338-0-60714300-1335086786_thumb.jpg

post-46338-0-47321900-1335086810_thumb.jpg

Edited by Surf01

Hi, i have a Canon EOS 550D which i bought 18 months ago. Its easy to use and has a high spec.

The next thing to buy is the suitable lens. Thats going to cost more than the camera. Cheaper lenses made by Tamron etc are compatible as long as the have the Canon fitment.

If you could pick up something similar from a reputable dealer this may be a cheaper option, or theres ebay of course

There are quite a few super zoom cameras about one that gets good reviews is the Fujifilm X-S1. The problem when using a zoom lens, is camera shake,partly due to a slow lens that means you need to use a longer exposure time so although image stabalization is helpful, for shots like that he will need a tripod so budget at least £50+ for a half decent tripod to take. The lighter they are and more suited to carry round the more they cost and one that I am looking to buy is about £250 for the alloy version. So they can get quite expensive. But have a good look round and check the weight of them as you really dont want a heavy studio type one on safari. But you also do not want one that is flexible and wobbles so try and find a happy middle ground that is not too expensive.

OH one thing to remember is when you use a camera on a tripod TURN OFF the image stabilsation!! The image stabilisation expects some shake so if it is on a tripod it can and does start clicking and moving the mechanism and you end up with distored images.

He will be pushed to find a good camera with a good telephoto lens in his price range.

The experts go for Canon and with the sort of lens he requires you are going to be well over the £thousand mark.

I personally have gone for a Nikon and that in base model was almost £700. 00 and a lens for shooting animals at long range would cost another £700. 00.

I am talking NEW here. His best bet is to get the magazines that offer second hand units. OR try a good local shop that may have good second hand units.

Edited by TedNewman

This site gives masses of info.

The D90 is a gem. Jessops of London sell second hand at sensible? prices http://www. jessops. com/online. store/categories/Current%20Offers/Clearance/Show. html?cm_re=121211-_-currentoffers-_-promo_clearance

http://www. jessops. com/?tduid=d1dbdb4b8d196c56dd4b8e190b9e0c2d&url=http://www. jessops. com

Add a lense of your choice but not Nikon if a Tamron or similar fits.

Lenses are reviewed on this website as well.

http://www. dpreview. com/reviews/nikond90

Have look on ebay for a canon 400,450, or 500 particularly look at the canon outlet where everything is like new but refurbished and with a 12 months canon guarantee. Then have a look for a sigma 28 - 300 canon fit lens which should be available for just over £100. That will set him up and be sithin his price range and give him quality pictures. He can improve on the lens later a bit of image stabilistaion would help at extreme zoom.

Thanks Bill. I came across this one. seems it may be able to do the job without breaking the bank but then I know very little about photography.

Thanks Bill. I came across this one. seems it may be able to do the job without breaking the bank but then I know very little about photography.

The problem with that one is the basic problem with all the non-slr digitsl cameras in that when you press the shutter there is a delay which when taking pictures of wild life generally means that uou gets lots of pictures with the animal/ bird looking away.

These cameras are all on the sold lists of ebay but all of thrm would do the job for your son wonderfully well http://www. ebay. co. uk/csc/Digital-Cameras-/31388/i. html?rt=nc&LH_Complete=1&LH_PrefLoc=1&_nkw=canon%20eos%2018%2055%2075%20300%20lens&_dmpt=UK_CamerasPhoto_DigitalCameras_DigitalCameras_JN&_fln=1&_sop=1&_trksid=p3286. c0. m283

For items that are still for sale have a look at this link http://www. ebay. co. uk/sch/Digital-Cameras-/31388/i. html?rt=nc&LH_PrefLoc=1&_nkw=canon%20eos%2018%2055%2075%20300%20lens&_dmpt=UK_CamerasPhoto_DigitalCameras_DigitalCameras_JN&_fln=1&_sop=1&_trksid=p3286. c0. m283

still in the amateur stages but this is my second camera a canon powershot s5 is 12x optical, first one was a premier dc130 from maplins with 10x optical,

if you have a look here, although not wildlife gives you sort of an idea

http://s84. photobucket. com/albums/k10/ldsundance/FFOC%20National%20Day%202010%20Fly%20By%20Small/

a few aerial shots taken for my car club, hand out of window with camera strap firmly wrapped around wrist, although after takeing them i think i had it macro mode too.

edited for the public picture folder slightly smaller pics

Edited by Ldsundance

still in the amateur stages but this is my second camera a canon powershot s5 is 12x optical, first one was a premier dc130 from maplins with 10x optical,

if you have a look here, although not wildlife gives you sort of an idea

http://s84. photobuck. ..010%20fly%20by/

a few aerial shots taken for my car club, hand out of window with camera strap firmly wrapped around wrist, although after takeing them i think i had it macro mode too.

Cant look at the images as the album is private. ...

Bill you may now find the shutter lag is almost minimal as recently they have improved massively on most of the latest cameras. I would be more worried about getting a tripod as usually these safari trips do stop so you can get good clear shots from the truck.

The OP said his son 'works' on a game reserve. That being the case, perhaps he can get closer to the wildlife using a truck as a hide. ..removing the need for a tripod.

As a nikon user I would recommend a used D200. It's a dust proofed, durable body with fast focus, and the DX sensor . ..which can extend the lens reach. ..for the right lens. The light in africa won't require significantly high Iso.

I would invest in a 70-300 AFS VR which when used on the DX body is equivalent to 105-450 mm. Any longer lens and heat haze will kill the image quality.

Cant look at the images as the album is private. ...

Bill you may now find the shutter lag is almost minimal as recently they have improved massively on most of the latest cameras. I would be more worried about getting a tripod as usually these safari trips do stop so you can get good clear shots from the truck.

I think they still try and keep some distance from the wildlife as they would still do some damage to the vehicle and only usually get close after being tranquilised. .. One of my old school mates did the same thing and went off round the world to do different jobs.

I have relatives that go to Africa on Safari every winter for around 6 weeks - they are both keen photographers and do exhibit their photos - they tell me that the minimum size for African game photography is 300mm and 400mm is better - anything bigger and it gets just too heavy though they do carry a 700mm for special shoots.

The reason for such long distance lens is that most game parks now forbid getting too close to the game - both for their protection and the people out 'gawping'.

As I understand it one of the above suitable lens would set you back from around £1000. 00 up to several thousand pounds - far more than the camera itself.

I think they still try and keep some distance from the wildlife as they would still do some damage to the vehicle and only usually get close after being tranquilised. .. One of my old school mates did the same thing and went off round the world to do different jobs.

Correct. It is normally the vet that shoots them with the tranquilliser dart but they have to drive up close. I have soem video footage of them doing this with a buffalo and then again with a lion.

Guest jks

I have just sold my Fuji HS20EXR bridge camera and bought the new HS30EXR. The picture is excellent and with x30 zoom and a further x30 digital zoom. I have a Raynox High Definition lens x2. 2 which when connected to the camera gives an amazing zoom for a bridge camera. Used tol ug around lenses but now find this is excellent for photographing birds.

Excellent service and prices from here http://www. fotokonijnenberg. co. uk/

Edited by jks

Could look at a second hand Pentax K10d. 10Mp should give all that he needs unless he wants massive prints. The camera is weather proof and has in camera stabilisation, which means he can then use non stabilised lenses. A decent one should be no more than £250. (ish).

Then look for reasonable second hand lenses. If he wants to stay really cheap, Pentax haven't changed their lens mount for decades, so there are some old manual lenses out there for buttons. Or he can shell out a little more for a more modern auto focus / aperture lens, if he wants to.

Should still come in well under his £700 budget.

These would give him a lot of change.

http://www. ebay. co. u. ..=item4ab6b66d32

http://www. ebay. co. u. ..=item5ae621aa8e

Edited by FatherTed

Thanks for loads of helpful suggestions. He will be taking a wander sometime in the next few days to see what he can find on his budget. Unfortunately the Bank of Mom and Dad cannot help.

Dont you have a second hand shop nearby like these modern day pawnbroker type ones. cash collectors etc

Unfortunately the Bank of Mom and Dad cannot help.

To many sub-prime lendings ?

But seriously, I have a Canon SLR (400D) and a Canon bridge camera (super zoom) and whilst the SLR is the better camera I find I'm using the bridge camera a lot more.

He could look at a new Pentax K-r or K-x. Just recently discontinued but still around and a Pentax 55-300mm DA 4-5. 6 ED zoom lens.

K-r body on Amazon for just over £400 and the 55-300 lens (outstanding for the price) around £260. As Father Ted has already posted: the K fit used by Pentax hasn't changed since the mid 70's and was adopted by loads of other manufacturer's. There are thousands of lenses on Ebay from a few quid upwards.

The best place to invest your money with camera equipment is in the glass.

Within the Canon range, look for a second hand EF 70-200 1: 2. 8 L IS USM lens as a starter lens, even at 100% crop you can get pin sharp images.

The next step would be say a 1. 2 X or 1. 5 X adaptor ring. .. then on to 200-400 L IS USM.

For a body, EOS 5D, again second hand. I would think that with a bit of searching it could be possible within budget to find a EOS 5D and 70-200 Canon kit.

FT

PS. .. with the image stabalisation on the 70-200 I can hand hold down to 1/4 second at 200mm, I have done 1/2 second and got a magazine cover from the result.

Edited by FlyingTog

For a body, EOS 5D, again second hand. I would think that with a bit of searching it could be possible within budget to find a EOS 5D and 70-200 Canon kit.

Although 5D was one of my fav bodies, surprised recommending full frame which has the effect of shortening the lens cf, say a 20D

The best place to invest your money with camera equipment is in the glass.

Within the Canon range, look for a second hand EF 70-200 1: 2. 8 L IS USM lens as a starter lens, even at 100% crop you can get pin sharp images.

The next step would be say a 1. 2 X or 1. 5 X adaptor ring. .. then on to 200-400 L IS USM.

FT

PS. .. with the image stabalisation on the 70-200 I can hand hold down to 1/4 second at 200mm, I have done 1/2 second and got a magazine cover from the result.

Fantastic lens but a bit out of the OP price range, he wanted a camera and lens for about £700 IIRR and the lens you suggest secondhand starts at about £850.

Although 5D was one of my fav bodies, surprised recommending full frame which has the effect of shortening the lens cf, say a 20D

Full Frame will allow up to 100% crop and a better margin of error for composition.

Fantastic lens but a bit out of the OP price range, he wanted a camera and lens for about £700 IIRR and the lens you suggest secondhand starts at about £850.

There are a few about sub £600. ... a lot of pro togs are facing hard times and equipment is coming on to the market at silly prices. Look for ad in some of the professional tog forums.

FT

Sign in to follow this