Pageant Bretagne

littlenewt

My wife and I went to look at a Bretagne yesterday. We really liked the van it would appear to suit our wants quite nicely. I then read through the various threads mentioning condensation on this door causing problems. Does anyone know what the door is for? The bottom bunk is not closed off underneath and surely there is nothing in there that would require outside access?

I thought from the outside it may have been a wet locker but was disappointed to see it at the end of the bunks!

I also noticed that in the Provence and another Pageant, they had electric flush but the Bretagne was the manual type. Are they now electric?

Lastly, Is the issue over condensation sorted on new caravans? ie have Bailey carried out a modification at the factory or do they wait til you complain!?

Sorry, seems like a lot of questions!

Jim

Hi Littlenewt,

The door is just for rear access.( plan to keep my dog under bottom bunk !) ;)

The bottom bunk folds up and bikes etc can be strapped there.

I suppose it can be used if for any reason van is tight against other side.

Condensation has been sorted by

1,Vented second door

2, Vented floor

3 Ducted air to rear of caravan

4,Slatted bottomms to bunks, not solid.

This is on 2006 series, but dealers should retro fit on 2005 models.

Not sure on toilet question.

Dave

Dave

Thanks for replying, I noticed in the photos we took of the caravan yesterday that there was a clip on the wall above the bottom bunk. I assume that is to hold the bed up!!!!

The salesman was at Excel yesterday and therefore we mooched about the van working everything out for ourselves!

I also notice you have taken delivery of yours. ......I am a tad jealous!! You will have to keep me posted on your experience in your new van. I just need to sell my Discovery 200 to be able to buy the Bretagne!

Thanks again

Jim

Jim

we have a Bretagne. Bought it new in June. Probably used it for 7 or 8 weeks since then. We're very pleased with it.

Ours has slatted bed bases in the bunks, and some extra ventilation holes. We've just come back from a week away and on the first night suffered with excessive condensation in the rear bunk area. this was subsequently solved by opening the rear bunk curtains, opening a few other windows slightly, and running the heating on a low setting with the fan blowing. For the rest of the week there was really nothing noticeable.

As I said we're very pleased with our van but we've got a few gripes.

1. There are three power sockets and 2 of these are poorly positioned.

2. When you consider that the van has 18 or so individual lights, the lighting at the rear of the van, especially around the doorway and rear bunk area, is very poor to the extent that you can not see inside the wardrobe and cupboards properly at night without a torch. We're looking at what we can do about this.

3. The front locker locks are pretty poor and just rely on the locking arm closing on the rubber door seal. One of ours is very stiff despite generous lubrication and were worried that the key is going to give way sooner rather than later. Also the locker door doesn't open fully. The door opens to an angle of approx. 100-110 degrees from the closed position which means you have to duck under the door when you're rooting around in the locker.

4. I've noticed we're getting a slight smell of gas from the front locker which obviously will need to be checked out. I spoke to another Pageant Series 5 owner a few months back who advised that his caravan had to be fixed on site when the new type regulator developed a leak - apparently a manufacturing fault.

5. Drawer bottoms -all pretty flimsy - two of ours have given way already. The runners themselves are just the cheap basic ones you use to get (and probably still do!!) on cheap MFI furniture. (Our friends have just bought an Adria - it has proper drawers with strong metal runners).

6. Push button door knobs. Although these function fine the bathroom one is already loosing it's matt gold plating.

8. Lack of a Jack and a Battery!! - Come on Bailey.

Hopefully many of these will be put right during its first service.

All the best.

Nick

Dave and Nick,

Thanks for the replies. .....especially with regards to the lighting in the wardrobe! These are things we could get done prior to taking delivery of a potential new van! I suppose a light similar to the bunk lights could be installed in the wardrobe.

I am quite excited about the prospect of getting one of these!

Thanks again, and any other Bretagne owners please feel free to add your comments! The more the merrier!

Jim :D

I think you would be better off getting an extra ceiling light fitted at the factory just outside the bathroom/wardrobe rather than one inside (the light from one inside would get blocked out by the clothes). Certainly thats what we would have had done if we'd known about this beforehand.

Re the toilet flush. Ours is manual. I wonder why anyone want an electric flush. We all use manual ones at home. It would be another thing to go wrong. Our kids would be flushing an electric one all the time and I'd be emptying it more often than I'd like!!

I've just read another post about the gas smell in the locker where someone was advised that it could be coming from the actual material used on the flexible hoses. Still going to get ours checked out though.

Cheers

Nick

Guys,Some good points raised here.

Im just going to storage area now to "personlize" mine, and put a few things in.

Not trying it out till next weekend.

Ideal to get light fitted before delivery, obviously im too late so thinking about buying small battery powered push lamps that can be fitted where you require.

Just a small niggle (didnot stop me buying one) but have you noticed the rough timber latte that supports the top rear bunk !!.It would cost Bailey £1 more to put in something better.

Looking forward to next w/e

Dave

We have a Bretange, now I year old! We've had the modification to the bunks done at the first service.

My husband put in a new ceiling light at the back of the van, this makes a big difference.

All in all we've been really pleased with this van. Like a lot of new vans we have had a few problems, but our dealer has been quick to get them sorted, I would definatley recomend this van to families.

Looking forward to going out next at the end of November!

Jog

To DaveQ

Out of interest where are the vents in the rear 'cargo' door, and where does the ducting run (under the floor, under the shower tray?). As I mentioned above we had some condensation problems last week and it wasn't that cold, I'm thinking of taking ours back for some further modifications.

Thanks

Nick

Hi Nick

I didnot go to van today.

Probably go tommorow I will have a good look and let you know

Thanks

Dave

• 5 months later...

Well, some time has passed since this topic started but we have now ordered a Bretagne. ...just have to wait til August due to My wife wanting the blue coloured trim rather than the red we already have in the Discovery!..

Just to clarify, is there now heating to the rear of the caravan?....are there still problems with condensation even with the modifications?

I have just had a weekend away in the Discovery and noticed that the inside of the main door started condensating quite heavily. ..is this a similar thing?

Anyway, we are really excited but I am now scared to use our current caravan as it has been valued and dont want anything to break or get damaged!

I will be asking for a light near the door/bunk area!

Jim

Ours is now going back for some modifications to the rear bunk area - all under warranty. We'll be having a new rear cargo door with vent and an additional heater vent underneath the bottom bunk coming out from the cupboard by the main door. We've not had a real problem with condensation but we always make sure the windows are slightly open and never leave the rear bunk curtains closed. Anyway the modifications can only help the situation.

and yes we must get an extra light fitted outside the toilet door.

Nick

Nick

Good luck with new van, im sure you and family will really enjoy it.

Had ours away at easter with awning on and it was alot warmer, hence no condensation

Had a split bathroom tap, a month or so ago, but that was due to me not draining down propaly when we had freezing conditions.

Do make sure you leave taps up and drain your pump and system down when you leave caravan.

If you would like to, send me a pm with email and ill post your pics of the conversion they done to mine for bottom bunk

Best wishes

Dave :)