Used My Mover With The Hand Brake On...

DMC12

In a rush. .. hand brake on. .. unhitched. .. engaged mover. .. positioned van. .. went to put brake on. .. oh dear. ..

I guess the movers are so powerfull they don't notice whether its on or off.

I'm I likely to of. ..

a. completely knacked the brakes.

b. just caused some increased wear and may have to change the brakes sooner.

c. got away with it (i know; wishfull thinking. ..)

The vans parked up for the winter now so I have plenty of time to worry about it.

Many thanks.

Steve.

Guest Coachman

Hi All Mine dos'e the same as Roadrunners. The Break goes on more. Hope you have not damaged rollers. Best of Luck hope all is o/k John

I'm I likely to of. ..

a. completely knacked the brakes.

b. just caused some increased wear and may have to change the brakes sooner.

c. got away with it (i know; wishfull thinking. ..)

42669[/snapback]

I don't think you will have done any damage at all. Loads of learners drive off in their cars forgetting to release the handbrake.

The fact that the handbrake was on wouldn't stress the rollers. The only stress that could be caused would be to overload and maybe burn-out the motors - but then the lock-out on the control box takes care of that.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

I don't think you will have suffered any damage.

But I do think your handbrake/ brakes are in need of adjustment.

Steve

As stated in my reply

I think that if your mover works with handbrake on, your brakes are in need of adjustment now.

My own mover will not move van with handbrake on.

I guess that almost everyone with a mover must have done this. Like driving off with your handbrake on. Woops. As long as nothing obvious is damaged, like the position of mover and attachment to chassis etc it shouldn't be a problem. But as stated above for the mover to have actually moved your van it would imply that the brakes weren't up to much any way. I would certainly get them checked out and that would cover both items, the out of adjustment and any damage scenarios.

I've also had my mover wheel spinning when driving through mud. That needed a bit of wood to give the tyres some purchase, and thats with new tyres. Pretty powerful beasts these movers. My handbrake won't allow the van to move if inadvertantly left on, yes I've done it as well.

Best of luck hope any repairs are minor adjustments only.

Bob

Its all been said before.

So I agree with everything said.

It IS possible to damage drive rollers, and gearboxes, but unlikely.

I fit 2 or 3 of these most days of the week, and Ive managed to try to move the 'van with the handbrake on, I've tried to tow it with the drives still engaged, and I've left the handset on the "A" frame, (Luckily we were stationary, and hadnt moved the 'van), Moral is, If I can do it having told over a thousand customers that they should not do it, then everyone is going to at sometime or another.

Dave

powerwheel fitter

Archived