Sign in to follow this  
smiffy

Truma Ultraheat - Auto Setting For Air Blower

Hi,

I've the above system installed in my 2011 Elddis.

http://www. myidealca. ..0ultraheat. html

This page suggests that the Auto setting only works on the 2kw heater setting.

Can anyone confirm if this is the case?

I've just returned from a spell in the cold weather and didn't see difference between the manual fan speed, and setting it to auto.

I'd expect the fan to only operate if the heater is actually turned on at the wall panel - mine runs all the time and the dial determines the fan speed.

The fan is run off 12V and doesnt need the Ultraheat to be on. It will work if you are just using the gas fire.

Setting the fan on manual speed means the fan runs at this speed regardless of the amount of heat being produced, I would suggest manual fan is only for use without heat for cooling in summer, if infact it has a use?!

Setting the fan to ‘A’utomatic allows the heat produced to control the fan speed ‘up’ to the speed set on the dial, you can then, keep this set maximum low and therefore quiet, overnight perhaps?

Automatic means the fan will run slowly initially and speed up as the air passing through gets warmer, doing it this way allows heat and fan to be switched on together and doing away with waiting xx minutes as often suggested.

Hi,

I've the above system installed in my 2011 Elddis.

http://www. myidealca. ..0ultraheat. html

This page suggests that the Auto setting only works on the 2kw heater setting.

Can anyone confirm if this is the case?

I've just returned from a spell in the cold weather and didn't see difference between the manual fan speed, and setting it to auto.

I'd expect the fan to only operate if the heater is actually turned on at the wall panel - mine runs all the time and hte dial determines the fan speed.

Its important to realise that the fan has no heat value. ...it merely stirs the air in the caravan. If you arent getting sufficient warmth you need to look at the insulation of the pipework under the caravan . ...where it jumps walkways. manufacturers are notorious for not insulating these external ducts adequately (if at all).

Having the fan too high can introduce 'wind chill'....making the air draught feel colder. As the pevious poster says best to run it on Auto. I set my fan to Auto with the speed 3 setting - which is quiet enough not to intrude but moves the air sufficiently.

No the fan works independent of the wall controller. ..so you can use it in hot weather as well!

The heater will work from the wall switch with the fan off as well. ...it just wont forceably distribute the heated air around the caravan.

Edited by ericfield

run your heater for 15 mins before you turn on A this will blowthe hot stuff

Thanks for the replies, I have the PDF manual, but the Video is/was very helpful.

That too suggests that the fan speed when set to "A" should adjust depending on the heat level - I don't think mine does. In automatic mode the fan speed seems to be constant irrespective of the heat produced by the heater.

Can anyone confirm is they can see/hear a fan speed difference?

Thanks for the replies, I have the PDF manual, but the Video is/was very helpful.

That too suggests that the fan speed when set to "A" should adjust depending on the heat level - I don't think mine does. In automatic mode the fan speed seems to be constant irrespective of the heat produced by the heater.

I normally set the speed to 2 or 3 when in "A" mode with the gas heating control set to 3 or 4 and the speed only very gradually and almost imperceptibly increases. When using the Ultraheat electric element set to 1kW and thermostat to 5 but again speed 2 or 3 in "A" mode the speed appears to be constant.

The whole fire unit needs to get really hot before the auto speeds things up, or conversely the fire needs to be cool before the fan reduces the speed to a minimum. To check that the auto stting is working,turn the fan onto auto at number 7 or 8 then set the fire off on gas and turned up so that it gives off a lot of heat, a short time later you will hear the fan speed up considerably. But give it time, you will find that when the casing is hot the fan speeds up, but as soon as h casing has cooled the fan slows down.

Extract from the Truma manual, Note text I have made bold and underlined

(Apologies LHD, you have already directed the OP to this site)

When using electrical only we recommend to set the fan

control on position 3 (manual or auto), remembering to set the

output level to 2000 W (ensure that the fuse protection for the

power supply of the camp site is sufficient).

If more than 2000 W are required (heating up / cold temperatures)

you must refer back using gas operation as the 230 V

electrical operation is a secondary heater only.

The problem with the fans speed control is it is independent of the heating, this is the cause of 'lag' after the heating switches off before the fan slows down, test show around 4-5 minutes.

Originally designed for use with the gas fire, this lag was unimportant, the latent heat in the fires heavy heat exchanger casting compensated. However, with just a few feet of electric element containing little latent heat, the fan blows what appears cool air before the fan slows down, it must be remembered though, it's not really as cool as it feels, it has to be almost the same temperature as the general air in the van?!

The hot air blows in the end shower room and bedroom but not in the two front vents any idea what’s wrong please 

1 hour ago, adywrexham said:

The hot air blows in the end shower room and bedroom but not in the two front vents any idea what’s wrong please 

Check behind the fire (there’s often a ‘trapdoor’ in the cupboard above) to see if the tubes have become disconnected. Also I seem to remember that some units had a lever there to control the flow. Then also check the other end for disconnection or shut flaps (or even, as I once found, newspaper blocking the vent!)

John

If you remove drawers - or shelves from above your fire, you'll be able to get into the back of it.   You'll see two air ducts - they're marked with a red dot in the picture.  

70205360_TrumaTeb2-B.JPG.8e73f6a38673e18a9639ab1e1783c5d6.JPG

They will be attached to the divider which is fitted to the back of the fire.  

624537644_TrumaTeb2.jpg.a0b36dc7d0ba1df7c3c0fa50e288c26a.jpg

By moving the central lever, the warm air can be given priority to either direction.   A more or less central position will (in theory) divide the air equally - assuming the cooler duct isn't blocked.   If there's doubt about that, the duct can be detached by removing self tapping screws and a piece of wire or hose passed through.

Thanks very much try looking tomorrow to late now post the result