Bmw 530d

G-a-r-y

Guest john1215

Gary,

I've never towed with one of these but they look a real BEAST, it will be interesting to read if anyone has experience with this vehicle.

john1215

Hi Gary,

The 530d has got everything you could possibly want for towing,rear wheel drive,high weight and one of the best diesel engines on the market. The CC have tested them regularly in their 'towcar of the year' trials. The main thing against was the high purchase price and running costs. As far as BMW automatics are concerned,these were not as frugal as other manufacturers,at least not in 2003 when I was looking for a new tow car. However modern automatics are considered to have advantages over manuals,at least with respect to towing. Check to make sure that no additional automatic oil coolers are required. :)

Frank

Hi Gary,

A mate of mine has just bought a 530d auto but not for towing. He is REALLY impressed with it so far but it did cost a fair bit and that was at just over a year old! I can't remember the max torque figure but it is HIGH!

Bob

PS - did you get the PM I sent you, it's not showing on my system?

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply. All Iv'e got to do now is, get the dealers to call me back. I wonder if there are any optioal extras which are more desirable than others and worth looking around for.

I've got a friend with the 525d sport touring that he pulls a twin axle with. They do seem to be ideal towcars - loads of grunt, rear wheel drive, self leveling rear axle. He's got the TV, sat nav and loads of other goodies.

He is disappointed with the fuel economy though. The auto seems to chew through it. He gets about 33 mpg solo which would disappoint me as well. My car has same power & torque and gets upwards of 40mpg. I'd love an auto but until I'm not paying 6 or 7 mpg for the luxury I'll keep stirring the gears in.

BMW diesels amaze me every time they come up with a new version. The new 530d (auto 6) has about 220 bhp and 500 Nm of torque. With a 100% combination (lets say 1675 kg caravan and 350 kg load in the car it accelerates from 0 - 100 km/h (62 mph) in app. 15,4 secs. Topspeed (in 4th with a 2,30 wide caravan) about 94 mph. Amazing. 17% inclines? In second gear with 3700 trainweight! Steep Motorway hills (5%) in 4th gear and 75 mph. 6th gear isn't much of a joy with a caravan hooked-up however. But who cares. 96 mph in 5th is 1925 rpm.

Regards, Bert

http://www. whattowcar. com

• 1 year later...

Well, it's took a long time but I have eventually got one of these cars. 530d Touring 52 reg. It didn't have a tow hitch so I bought an OEM Westfalia detachable and BMW wiring loom-13 pin. The dealer wanted £1300 to supply and fit. The parts I bought cost £400 and I fitted them myself(very difficult)

I will be towing (for the first time) to Hill Head tomorow and I can't wait.

My last tow cars were Xantia HDi Est, Discovery TD5, Mondeo TDci Est.

I just hope this car lives up to my expectations. I'll post my feelings on the car on our return.

Well I'm back now.

Jouney down was very windy, mostly a head wind. I only managed 22. 5 MPG, I didn't like that much! Mondeo would get 30MPG plus.

The car was more stable/solid,I didn't get that jerky feel that wobbles you around, so that was nice.

Going over the Avonmouth M5 bridge which is really uneven and makes the back of the car go up and down all dippy, well that didn't happen, I was expecting it when I could see big dips in the road but it just smoothed/damped them out, so that was good.

On the return journey(no wind) the MPG was better, I was getting 24. 5MPG. I found that if I increased my speed so the revs were at 2000RPM (70MPH) the mpg went up to 27. Must be a turbo/torque thing.

We are going to Putts corner for the May day break. I'll experiment more with the MPG. That's the only thing I didn't like.

• 2 months later...

Hi, I know it was some time since this topic was posted, but I have just joined the forum.

I tow with a 2000 530d Tourer. My van is only about 1300kg fully laden and the car tows it like a dream. I have towed to many places in the UK and a couple of places in France and have no problems maintaining legal speeds! The outfit is very stable and quite a bit of gear can be carried in the boot because car has self leveling suspension.

Anyone thinking about getting one as a towcar or even solo will not be dissapointed.

About 35mpg solo and not too much less towing - but who cares when you are on holiday.

Graeme. :)