Night Blinds

dtg

Hi all

I like to leave the blinds pulled down on the van when it is at home, to keep the sun out and stop it fading the fabrics. I know in the handbook that it advises against leaving them down long term, but is there an alternative. I know the springs will weaken, but if i was to slacken off the spring tentioners a bit but will this cause a problem. Any thoughts.

Dave

Dave, bear in mind that I use the caravan thro the winter roughly every other weekend so blinds are only closed for 11 days at a time.

We keep the blinds down to protect the furnishings but the spring tensions are quite light. We raise the blinds before each journey but with the tensions light some of the blinds do not completely retract however once at our destination and the temperature in the 'van rises the blinds are fine. We have been doing this for a year now and I havent noticed any degradation in the operation of the blind.

I have just had my first service and they were going to increase the tension but when I mentioned the above they left them as they are.

Hope this helps and I shall be interested to read other views on this subject.

Gerry

Dave.

Accept all you sya and agree with you. I bought some sheets of a silver covered material that came with some suckers and studs to fasten to the material which was cut to the size of the windows. I bought it from an advert in a caravan mag from someone in the South Yorkshire area.

I have used this continuall when the van is at home for some 5 years now with no trouble except that the spare material and studs have been put in the very safe place that we now cannot find.

I notice that your van is a s5 Pageant so is very youig the blid sping will stretch with age.

I just hope anyone reading this can supply the name address of the guy in Yorkshire if he's still doing the material

Colin

I use covers over the furniture and fixed bed etc when leaving the caravan at home - it saves having to leave the blinds down when the van is not in use.

Might be a useful alternative - of course if you leave your van in storage its probably better to leave the blinds down - or get a cover for the caravan

Margaret

Margaret

I don't do technical !!!

Just me and my showdogs!!

I use covers over the furniture and fixed bed etc when leaving the caravan at home - it saves having to leave the blinds down when the van is not in use.  

Might be a useful alternative - of course if you leave your van in storage its probably better to leave the blinds down - or get a cover for the caravan

Margaret

42591[/snapback]

There was an article in MMM about using Corraboard (sp?) and fitting it in the runners of the blinds. This is the corrugated plastic board used for estate agengy signs.

Mike

I keep the blinds up, but have some cardboard cut to size for each window, painted silver on one side, on the other side mark which window its for (of side front etc), they are always put in when we get back home. I also cover seats etc

I find it best to leave one window (in the shaded side) so that anyone can see in

Always leave some mouse traps set, with chocolate on :o

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Thanks for all the replies. I have noticed in the CC magazine that there is a company that supply caravan covers that just wrap around the front of the van, this can be used when the caravan is parked or when travelling (this protects from flying stones etc) seems like a good idea as it is only the front windows that i need to protect from the suns rays. Covering the furnishings would be ok but the sun will still fade the curtains.

Dave

Thanks for all the replies. I have noticed in the CC magazine that there is a company that supply caravan covers that just wrap around the front of the van, this can be used when the caravan is parked or when travelling (this protects from flying stones etc) seems like a good idea as it is only the front windows that i need to protect from the suns rays. Covering the furnishings would be ok but the sun will still fade the curtains.

Dave

42657[/snapback]

Cardboard cut to size in the windows saves the curtains, :)

Will the cover be ok with the windows ? or will it scratch them in the winter months when the wind blows??????? :o

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Hi Paul

I must admit that i am not a great lover of any form of cover for the van. I have in the past seen the after effects when a cover has been left on for a long period of time. It looks as though i may go down the cut out cardboard route. Once again many thanks.

Dave.

We rarely use the blinds but close the curtains, particularly when in storage, if people can't see in then they can't be tempted to break in or worse still, pinch my van.

We close the curtains at night too, helps prevent the windows from misting up when the wwather is really damp.

navigator

We leave the van in storage with the blinds and curtains open and the cupboards open to show it is empty. If they are going to nick the van, blinds open or closed won't make any difference, but showing there is nothing inside worth nicking, may (just may) stop someone attempting to break in!

I agree with Navarac. If the caravan is going to be left in storage for some time, leave everything open (cupboards included). I would add, also remove the soft furnishing and store at home (in the loft if it's dry?).

We use our caravan regularly throughout the year so unfortunalely this is not the best option for us, so the 'van is stored at home with the blinds down.

I would add that we always travel with the blinds open.

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

We simply close the curtains when in storage, leaving one set open to let anyone see there is nothing in side. This saves the tension on the blinds which we use when in the van