Flat Battery

Hi all

I had a pwrtouch motor mover fitted a few weeks ago. I "experimented" with it but not for long (about 15 minutes total). I did not put the caravan back up the side of the garage at that time (its still on our driveway so no problems about it being on a public highway) as I wanted to wash it before I put it away. As you can imagine it hasn't been the weather to wash a caravan - well not at the weekend anyway (in fact come to think about it not any day!!!!).

At the weekend I decided to brave the elements and washed the van (probably some kind comment from swmbo like "is that caravan going to stay there until March?" - you know the helpful comments that they make!!!). So washed the caravan in the pouring rain and the wind and then came to put it away. No battery power - I mean nothing - didn't register at all on the voltmeter.

I only have a basic 85 amp battery that I got with the caravan and I know that I will have to upgrade to a bigger one for the motor mover.

Two questions really:

1) Should 15 minutes with the motor mover deplete the battery to that extent - it is the Powrtouch4 as we have a twin axle? and

2) I put the electric hook-up on overnight (from 2. 00 yesterday until about 5. 00 today) but still nothing. If a baterry is completely flat how long will it take to charge up - indeed will it charge with just an electric hook-up or do I need a battery charger.

I am wondering if the fitter has made a mistake somewhere and this is the reason the battery is flat.

Any info much appreciated - nottoo technical please I am not a techie.

Cheers

Richard

1)  Should 15 minutes with the motor mover deplete the battery to that extent - it is the Powrtouch4 as we have a twin axle? and

42354[/snapback]

Hi Richard,

Not sure what the consumption of your Powrtouch 4 is in theory but on the Reich's

Single Axle Mover it is 15 amps, 60 amps max and on the Twin Axle Mover 25 amps, 90 amps max. (apparently)

So I suppose theoretically on that basis and on max continuous current draw say with a fully charged A1 90 amp hr battery, 1. 5 hours and 1 hour respectively unless the lecy guys say otherwise.

Can't imagine one lasting that long though somehow.

Is the battery in good condition and was it fully charged to start with?

Griff.

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front Green Oval Towing Machine

Wheels at the back Bessacarr 845

Hi Richard,

Not sure what the consumption of your Powrtouch 4 is in theory but on the Reich's

Single Axle Mover it is 15 amps, 60 amps max and on the Twin Axle Mover 25 amps, 90 amps max. (apparently)

So I suppose theoretically on that basis and on max continuous current draw say with a fully charged A1 90 amp hr battery, 1. 5 hours and 1 hour respectively unless the lecy guys say otherwise.

Can't imagine one lasting that long though somehow.

Is the battery in good condition and was it fully charged to start with?

Griff.

42359[/snapback]

Thanks Griff

We have just got the caravan so it is a new battery. We have only been away once in it for two weeks and we were on hook-up at each site. I checked the battery before using the mover and it was fully charged. I didn't think that using the mover for such a short time should flatten the battery.

I know that I will need to get a new (bigger) battery anyway but I don't want to do this if the same thing happens because of a fault with the mover.

Cheers

Richard - this is way off topic !!!!!! but can you tell me how you get on with the Wyoming front seat. Our L shape is just that, and you can sit in the corner with your feet up but the new Wyoming has a curved corner. Would appreciate any comments - I do have a similar request in the Bailey section.

My thoughts on your loss of battery power, I wouldnt have thought that just 15 mins with the mover would flatten the battery. If it did I would think you would have known about it at the time. I must admit to replacing my battery with a 115 amp model just before the mover was fitted. One other thought, I believe the Senator has an alarm fitted, could there possibly be a fault on that circuit which has drained the battery !!!!!!

As for charging a battery, I purchased a fully automatic battery charger from Halfords. I use this on a spare battery I keep in the garage. Think it was £29. 99

Gerry

Hope I'm not trying to teach my grandmother etc!!!!!!!!! But are you sure you still haven't got the control box in the 'closed down' state. If you may have - turn off the isolator switch for a few minutes, then switch on again.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

Hi all

I had a pwrtouch motor mover fitted a few weeks ago.   I "experimented" with it but not for long (about 15 minutes total).  I did not put the caravan back up the side of the garage at that time (its still on our driveway so no problems about it being on a public highway) as I wanted to wash it before I put it away.   As you can imagine it hasn't been the weather to wash a caravan - well not at the weekend anyway (in fact come to think about it not any day!!!!).

At the weekend I decided to brave the elements and washed the van (probably some kind comment from swmbo like "is that caravan going to stay there until March?" - you know the helpful comments that they make!!!).  So washed the caravan in the pouring rain and the wind and then came to put it away.   No battery power - I mean nothing - didn't register at all on the voltmeter.

I only have a basic 85 amp battery that I got with the caravan and I know that I will have to upgrade to a bigger one for the motor mover.

Two questions really:

1)  Should 15 minutes with the motor mover deplete the battery to that extent - it is the Powrtouch4 as we have a twin axle? and

2)  I put the electric hook-up on overnight (from 2. 00 yesterday until about 5. 00 today) but still nothing.   If a baterry is completely flat how long will it take to charge up - indeed will it charge with just an electric hook-up or do I need a battery charger.

I am wondering if the fitter has made a mistake somewhere and this is the reason the battery is flat.

Any info much appreciated - nottoo technical please I am not a techie.

Cheers

Richard

42354[/snapback]

Hi

The caravan battery charger will not fully charge the battery. The caravan battery charger will charge the battery up to about 13. 5 volts and may not charge a fully discharged battery ie flat battery.

A fully charged battey will read 14. 5 volts.

I Allways use a multi meter to check the voltage of batterys as the meter in the caravan is not accurate purly an indicator

Use a car battery charger and fully charge the battery check the voltage with a cheap multi meter about evey 4 hours ( about £6-00 from Halfords / B&Q or Maplins )

Learn to use the multi meter and carry iot in the van great for fault finding on electrical faults

For more information on batterys and charging do a search on this forum and read the links below

Battery information http://www. btinternet. com/~les. brocklehurst/batteries. html

leisure Batterys http://www. leisurefayre. com/websiteb/bwebs. ..02/battery2. htm

leisure Batterys good all round info http://www. swift-owners-club. co. uk/soc1/ti. ..van_battery. htm

Rally electric no mains http://www. swift-owners-club. co. uk/soc1/tips/no_mains. htm

Hope this helps

Dave

Most battery chargers don't like to charge a dead flat battery.

If you use jump leads to connect it to a good battery, and then charge it whilst connected, it should then take a charge (hopefully :) )

Use a proper battery charger, rather than the caravan charger :) !!!!!!!!!!!

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Richard - this is way off topic !!!!!!  but can you tell me how you get on with the Wyoming front seat.   Our L shape is just that, and you can sit in the corner with your feet up but the new Wyoming has a curved corner.   Would appreciate any comments - I do have a similar request in the Bailey section.

My thoughts on your loss of battery power, I wouldnt have thought that just 15 mins with the mover would flatten the battery.   If it did I would think you would have known about it at the time.   I must admit to replacing my battery with a 115 amp model just before the mover was fitted.   One other thought, I believe the Senator has an alarm fitted, could there possibly be a fault on that circuit which has drained the battery !!!!!!

As for charging a battery, I purchased a fully automatic battery charger from Halfords.   I use this on a spare battery I keep in the garage.   Think it was £29. 99

Gerry

42372[/snapback]

Gerry

I find the curved corner in the Wyoming fine for relaxing - there is still enough room on the seat and the curve is actually good to lean on. I usually use a cushion at my back anyway so this does instead of the cushion. I found that lying across the front of the caravan was best but we didn't have the television on for most of our holiday so I don't know what it would be like if the tv was in the "island" between the lounge and the bedroom - if that wasn't comfortable you could always put the tv in its altarnative location of the shelf at the end of the kitchen shelf.

Best thing I would suggest is to take a visit to a Bailey dealer and try it for yourself, when we were looking for our van we spent a lot of time at the dealer to make sure that what we were ordering was what we really wanted.

As for the rest of the van we are delighted with it and cannot fault it (apart from the battery!!). Having spent a long while looking at caravans I don't think you can get better than Bailey for value for money.

Thanks for info re the battery.

Have fun looking at new vans.

Cheers

Richard

Guest Hobbybod
Thanks all for your advice.   I will buy a charger and multi meter later in the week and see how that does.

Cheers

Richard

42480[/snapback]

Richard, hope it's not too late, but buy a decent charger, preferably a switchmode type that charges to ~14. 4V and then falls back to trickle charge at ~ 13. 3V.

See here for a thread on chargers, plus details of the Sterling Pro-Budget series of reasonably priced and 'decent' chargers!!

Richard

Thanks for your comments on the curved cushions at the front of the Wyoming. We have already tried them at the dealers but still had some doubts so it is good to hear from owners like yourself. As for the TV I would put that on the little unit in the lounge and I have a 7" widescreen for the bedroom !!!!!! This works well in my current 'van as I use a transmitter and 2 receivers to get the signal from the satellite system to the TV sets ie no wires!!

I agree with everything you say re Bailey and I am extremely pleased with my Provence but just wish we had a fixed bed. Considering we only purchased our first van in April 2004, a 2 berth Abbey Vogue, got fed up making the bed so bought the Provence. This mean we could leave the rear dinette made up as a bed if we didnt have day visitors. However, we miss the rear bathroom which is why we are considering the Wyoming !!!!!!!!!!! Guess we will get another years' use out of the Provence and then change!!!!!!!! Time will tell.

We use the caravan all year so I believe in going for comfort !!!!!! Might not be able to use some of the CL sites tho' with a Wyoming !!!

Gerry