Importing A Caravan

dazza94

Coming from Northern Ireland and knowing that it is cheaper to buy a car from the South and pay the tax in the north I recently got in touch with a caravan dealer in Dublin who can supply me with the caravan that I want for 13000 euros which is about £8000 without having to pay the Souths tax. The same caravan would cost me £11000 here, so can anybody tell me do I have to pay VAT and if so how do i go about it :unsure:

Coming from Northern Ireland and knowing that it is cheaper to buy a car from the South and pay the tax in the north I recently got in touch with a caravan dealer in Dublin who can supply me with the caravan that I want for 13000 euros which is about £8000 without having to pay the Souths tax.   The same caravan would cost me £11000 here, so can anybody tell me do I have to pay VAT and if so how do i go about it :unsure:

42347[/snapback]

If the 'South' are not charging their VAT then you will be liable to our VAT - for details just contact your local VAT Office.

Guest Hobbybod
Coming from Northern Ireland and knowing that it is cheaper to buy a car from the South and pay the tax in the north I recently got in touch with a caravan dealer in Dublin who can supply me with the caravan that I want for 13000 euros which is about £8000 without having to pay the Souths tax.   The same caravan would cost me £11000 here, so can anybody tell me do I have to pay VAT and if so how do i go about it :unsure:

42347[/snapback]

NO, you pay no tax to import a caravan into the UK. It's just the same as a case of wine or anything else, other than a motorized vehicle. This has to be registered and VAT has to be paid in the UK.

I imported my first Skoda from a 'very nice man' in Aughrim, Co. Wicklow! Saved a fortune.

If you are buying as a private individual the dealer in the South should charge you RoI vat - if he supplies goods above a certain limit direct to individuals in the north (ie delivers them) (in a given year) he should be registered for UK vat and pay this on sales to those in the North.

Either way he sells it to you vat paid (even if he doesn't charge it!) so you need do nothing.

Are caravans zero rated in RoI?

If you are buying as a private individual the dealer in the South should charge you RoI vat - if he supplies goods above a certain limit direct to individuals in the north (ie delivers them) (in a given year) he should be registered for UK vat and pay this on sales to those in the North.

Either way he sells it to you vat paid (even if he doesn't charge it!) so you need do nothing.

Are caravans zero rated in RoI?

42351[/snapback]

No but I asked them to check if I had to pay their VAT and they phoned today saying that I didn't have to pay the vat as the caravan was going out of the south to a different country.

No but I asked them to check if I had to pay their VAT and they phoned today saying that I didn't have to pay the vat as the caravan was going out of the south to a different country.

42353[/snapback]

I thought this only applied if goods were being exported to a non EU country. That's why there is no duty free on cross channel ferries or European flights any more.

Coming from Northern Ireland and knowing that it is cheaper to buy a car from the South and pay the tax in the north I recently got in touch with a caravan dealer in Dublin who can supply me with the caravan that I want for 13000 euros which is about £8000 without having to pay the Souths tax. The same caravan would cost me £11000 here, so can anybody tell me do I have to pay VAT and if so how do i go about it unsure.gif

42347[/snapback]

Hi,

I've just been looking at this webpage. If I understand it correctly, you can buy a caravan without paying VAT in Eire but VAT will be chargable at NI rates upon import.

ie £8000 + 17. 5% VAT (£2,800) = £10,800. My guess is that you could negotiate the £200 difference from £11K with your local NI dealer and save yourself any hassle.

Gordon.

VAT on goods and services €" imports

Import VAT is the transaction tax levied on imported goods. Goods are treated as imported when:

a) they arrive in the UK directly from outside the EU and you enter them for home use in the UK, or customs duty otherwise becomes chargeable on them, or

cool.gif they have been placed in another EU Member State, or in the UK, under a particular customs arrangement and you enter them for removal to home use in the UK, or customs duty otherwise becomes chargeable on them.

In short, the moment when customs duty is due on the goods is the time of importation for VAT purposes. Import VAT includes VAT due on goods imported for the purpose of business, private importations and importations by partially exempt traders. VAT is charged on the importation of goods at the same rate as if the goods had been supplied in the UK.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

Import rules only apply to goods brought in from outside the UK. For goods purchased in other member states local taxes should be acounted for by the seller subject to certain rules. If in doubt callthe national VAT help line on 0845 010 9000 they should be able to help you.

It seems that any VAT registered company selling goods within the EU must charge VAT at their local rate when selling to a private individual of an EU country. To sell minus the VAT they must have the VAT registration number of the person/company they are selling to - so unless dazza94 is VAT registered the Southern Irish company must charge him/her VAT.

As you don't need to register the caravan for road use (like a car) the caravan is no different to a packet of fags of a tank full of pretrol.

Providing you haven't brought it to resell (via a vat registered business) then the price you pay from the dealer is the end of it. If he can't do the correct claculation of the VAT thats his lookout.

If this was a UK dealer and he sold something without charging VAT, HMRC would normally treat what he charged you as being VAT inclusive and make him pay vat on this amount (ie £8000 would be inclusive of vat)

When people go to Germany I take it they pay German VAT on their Hobby vans?

It looks to me that Ireland, like a lot of smaller EU members, doesn't enforce either EU regs or its own laws very well - perhaps they get enough in EU subsidy from the rest of us not to bother!

Ian

I thought this only applied if goods were being exported to a non EU country.   That's why there is no duty free on cross channel ferries or European flights any more.

42361[/snapback]

Hi all

have I missed something here, I get duty free on Cross channel ferries everytime I go.

The flights are a different matter, most European Countries are better set-up with duty free Tobacco shops

Peter

Hi all

have I missed something here, I get duty free on Cross channel ferries everytime I go.

The flights are a different matter, most European Countries are better set-up with duty free Tobacco shops

Peter

42411[/snapback]

no you don't - you get tax paid goods - the reason the shop shuts as it enters british waters is that you are paying another EU countries vat - the cheaper prices are because of the lower rates of vat and duty applied - still tax paid though.

You can only get duty free when you leave the EU. (eg this includes the Canary Islands - when you come back you have to go through the green or red channels at the Airport rather than the EU channel)

Ian

Guest Hobbybod
As you don't need to register the caravan for road use (like a car) the caravan is no different to a packet of fags of a tank full of pretrol.

Providing you haven't brought it to resell (via a vat registered business) then the price you pay from the dealer is the end of it.   If he can't do the correct claculation of the VAT thats his lookout.  

. . .

When people go to Germany I take it they pay German VAT on their Hobby vans?

It looks to me that Ireland, like a lot of smaller EU members, doesn't enforce either EU regs or its own laws very well - perhaps they get enough in EU subsidy from the rest of us not to bother!

Ian

42390[/snapback]

Quite correct Ian. VAT in Germany is only 16%; one reason 'vans are generally cheaper there, than France or Holland. {And much cheaper than in UK of course, but that's because of . . . . . whoops must learn not to do that!}

If you can actually buy a 'van from Eire VAT-free, which I doubt, you're onto a winner! Buying my car in Eire, the Eire VAT component was put, seperately, on a credit card slip which was not actioned and ripped up when notification of VAT payment in UK had been done. IF VAT is much higher in Eire then it might be worth doing the same for a 'van, but I doubt it.

Archived