Winter Caravanning

PeteS

Hi all we are hoping to take the van out over the Christmas hols. Never done this before always laid the van up from Oct to Easter.

Therefore I would appreciate any tips on what extra precautions to take.

For instance outside aquaroll and temp drop how do you avoid freezing and if it does will it harm the pump?

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Pete

Hiya. ..

Far from being an expert, and I'm sure you'll get some more replies -

Not a seasoned winter 'vanner but have been away the odd time.

A dash of antifreeze in the loo can help.

An old sleeping bag for the aquaroll - or some other insulation.

Question of Propane vs Butane - Butane can freeze at lower temps.

Propane better in Winter therefore. .

Woolly socks & Fleece.

Extra Duvet.

For me thats it I think?

Enjoy :)

Hi all we are hoping to take the van out over the Christmas hols. Never done this before always laid the van up from Oct to Easter.

Therefore I would appreciate any tips on what extra precautions to take.

For instance outside aquaroll and temp drop how do you avoid freezing and if it does will it harm the pump?

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Pete

42325[/snapback]

Hi Pete,

It really depends where you are going, I use my van all year round with no electric and have only had a problem with a cracked tap. ..here is my advice (based on no electrics)

Take at least 2 full Propane bottles with you, leave the gas heater on setting 2 or 3 to keep the chill off the inside of the van, leave the water heater on highest setting - turn off at night if the thermostat keeps waking you up clicking on and off!

Keep aquaroll as full as possible, takes longer to freeze a large amount of water. If possible keep a barrier between bottom of aquaroll and ground (stiff cardboard or plywood).

Keep toilet flush tank filled with a stronger mix of whatever you use, if you can keep the bathroom door open and warm then it all helps.

If the weather is going to be REALLY cold (lower than -8) then adjust heating to suit.

If you go out during the day and its still below freezing, turn off water pump switch and open ALL the taps on mid setting so if the water freezes it has room to expand.

Like I said, it really depends where you are going. I only stay around the south of England, and last year the lowest I got down to was -5, I only know that because the gas ran out at 3am. ........crikey what a chor that was swapping over at that time. ......auto changeover needed!!!!

Enjoy the winter in the caravan, it really is special. I am on my site most weekends now and the wildlife is something else - just keep fingers crossed for snow!!!

Dean.

Hi Pete,

I only know that because the gas ran out at 3am. ........crikey what a chor that was swapping over at that time. ......auto changeover needed!!!!

Dean.

42595[/snapback]

Hi Pete

Propane gas is better in winter . .. I have changed over to propane.

As it has been stated get a auto changer so you only have to twist the changer to keep the gas going, there is nothing worse than having to change it in the middle of the night.

I have an aqua roll bag that fits over the aqua roll, it keeps the chill off.

Also how long are you going to be camping . .. I found with the Awning up the caravan was warmer . . the awning sheilded alot of the cold from caravan.

Keeping the fire on low should keep the inside of the caravan warm enought to keep the water pipes free from freezing.

I am looking at camping over the winter, the caravan is in storage not to far from where My wife and I work.

Happy Camping

Peter

Make the beds up earlier than usual, gives them chance to warm up a bit, especially if you pop a hot water bottle in for a while.

If you're on hook up, use a slow cooker so that when you go out for the day you can come back to a nice hot meal.

Get an immersion cylinder lagging jacket for about £6 from B & Q or wherever, and wrap it around your aquaroll, then stand it on a sheet of polystyrene.

Have a container of water inside the caravan overnight, so as you can be certain of a hot cuppa first thing, even if everything has frozen up.

We have spent many New Year holidays in the caravan, sometimes in quite deep snow, and it's just great, being warm and cosy inside, and watching the snow falling outside. Go for it!! :)

You almost make me want to try BUT I think we will stick to original plan of going south for the winter months after Christmas.

by 'south' I mean Andalusia or such - any good suggestions?

What's it like in the caravan when its really cold (-15-ish)? Thinking of going upto the Inverclaud near Breamar in Scotland in February, and on a bad day (or night) it regularly gets down to such temperatures. Are there any extra precautions to take, or is it all just common sense?

Cheers

James

What's it like in the caravan when its really cold (-15-ish)? Thinking of going upto the Inverclaud near Breamar in Scotland in February, and on a bad day (or night) it regularly gets down to such temperatures. Are there any extra precautions to take, or is it all just common sense?

Cheers

James

42869[/snapback]

:P:P Hi Molem,

We caravan all year and usually spend Christmas/ New Year at the Chatsworth CC site in the Derbyshire Dales.

I gets very cold but we have had few problems. As previously advised, switch to Propane, insulate your aquaroll from the ground and from wind chill by using polistyrene and a domestic cylinder jacket, don't forget to insulate the pipe from the external pump as this is very vunerable to freezing, make sure the kettle is full last thing at night just incase the aquaroll is frozen, keep the heating on and turned up, (it is easier to open a door or a window to let some heat out than sit in a cold caravan waiting for it to warm up) and finally don't waste your money on "Super Pitches" as the water supply freezes quicker than milk soaking into a Weetabix, pitch as near to the shower block as possible as this is usually where you find the one and only fresh water tap that is not frozen.

Last of all enjoy the experience, small Christmas tree for the awning, coloured lights for the outside of the awning, plenty of cockle warming liquid and the company of like minded people.

It really is great fun.

Cheers

Steve :P:P

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

Archived