The Secret Of A Warm Bathroom.

Desperado

I finally got around to carrying out a little project I have been intending doing all summer

What is it you may ask?

Insulating the external warm air ducting to the Bathroom.

I had noticed that the temperature of the air coming out of the bathroom vents was distinctively cooler than those in the lounge area.

On investigation I noticed the ducting ran beneath the caravan floor across the width of the caravan rising up beneath the wardrobe.

This entire duct (about 3m) was uninsulated, so a large amount of heat was being lost especially at low outside temperatures when it was needed most.

I looked around my local B&Q and Wickes to see if they had anything suitable but to no avail.

I then hit on the idea of cutting up an old Karrimat that I had and wrapping it around the ducting securing it with electrical ties.

The mat is lightweight and of closed cell construction so it won’t act as a sponge the job took around half an hour.

I tried it for the first time this weekend and the result was very noticeable no more cold bathrooms for me!

Desperado

To Answer Shiba’s question, a Karrimat is a high density foam mat you use for lightweight camping to sleep on insulating you from the cold ground.

They are usually around 1800mm long by 600mm wide and come in various thicknesses (around 8-10mm) dependant upon the use

The name Karrimat comes from the manufacture Karrimor whom I believe invented the concept.

To Answer RogerN question, Bubble wrap would do the job although thermally I wouldn’t think it would be efficient, also it isn’t as robust as a Karrimat would be.

Desperado

Good idea especially at this time of year.

This has been discussed in a previous thread and carry mats have been a suggested insulation. There was also a foil backed bubble wrap tape called Thermawrap suggested but I have not been able to locate any. The genuine insulated ducting is a silly price.

Gary (Arc Systems) has posted that if the ducting is black it is the correct insulated variety for outside the van. If it is beige it should not be used outside. Our Europa has an external duct for about 1 metre under the main entrance door. This is larger diameter black with the beige pipe inside it.

I cured a cool bathroom by altering the distribution flap that is located on the main air outlet duct behind the heater.

Frank

Our Abbey has the correct trunking both inside and out.

If we want more heat to the bathroom area then it is just a case of making sure the bathroom outlet is fully open and the sitting area outlet is closed - or any combination of the two plus of course turning the blower on to full and to get a real hot blast turn the blower off 'auto' and on to 'manual' - it gets almost to sauna standards then :)

Have just returned from taking our new Bailey Monarch out for the first time, and noticed that our bathroom duct was blowing much cooler air than the two in the main lounge. I thought maybe we had not been operating the heating properly. which may well still be the case! as it's all new to us. Have just spoken to a nice chap from our dealers to ask his advice, happened to mention the content of this post and he informed me that the ducting on our van runs outside aswell. he seemed to think the camping mat insulation sounded a good idea but that maybe the bubble wrap when hot would start to expand and make "popping" noises Ha Ha! :D

Also any advice on operating settings for the heating would be appreciated, as plan to go away in November.

Twitch

Desperado.

Cheers for the explaination just in case I need to do the same, I have not looked at the ducting, but will do as soon as it's fit to venture outside :D Rain, Rain, and more Rain. :blink:

Shiba.

try this it comes in all sizes 15mm. ...to 108mm and above http://www. armacell. com good very cheep. we know it as armaflex

42406[/snapback]

Hi Mark,

We used a similar product to this in aircraft environmental testing,but I no longer have access to it as I am now retired. It was closed cell foam with a neoprene skin. Where can it be bought in small quantities?

Frank

I considered using Armaflex we use it in the air conditioning industry for pipework, refrigeration line insulation however I discounted it because of the cost in comparison to a Karrimat which I already had.

The Karrimat is a very similar density foam to Armaflex.

Desperado