Fridge Help Needed

I have an abbey 215 gt which for various reasons will be kept for the nest 2-3 years on a residential site. I took it up to the site today and I have discovered that the fridge is not working. I have not tried the gas (and don`t really want to as I doubt the van has had any kind of servicing). The site has electricity supplied to each pitch so I intend to run everything from the mains anyway.

My question is . .......If I am running everything from the mains do I have to replace the fridge with a caravan specific fridge or could I just get a small household fridge

thanks

Lynn

Lynn, it may not be as bad as you think.

It may be a simple thing like a switch not on, or a mains heater element needs replacing.

Get a mobile engineer to look at it for you.

http://www. approvedw. ..s. co. uk/search/

http://www. mobilecaravanengineers. co. uk/mcea-find-an-engineer. htm

Edited by Brecon

The caravan fridge is made to sit over the wheel so a normal fridge MAY not work.

After removal it maybe possible to confirm by seeing what space is required.

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

Any 240v domestic fridge will do, but make sure its fitted according to the makers recommendations.

Usually sufficient ventilation to the rear is required to ensure efficient heat dissipation, a 3" gap is typical.

Any 240v domestic fridge will do, . ..

If it's a compressor model it will burble away from time to time and might keep you awake.

I'd go Brecon's route.

hawkaye :beardy:

If it's a compressor model it will burble away from time to time and might keep you awake.

I'd go Brecon's route.

Good point.

But I'd be having sleep less nights if i had to pay for a new caravan fridge, round the £1000 mark aren't they?

Edited by xtrailman

However following Brecon's point the absorbtion fridge is fairly simple in its operation with few parts to break down therefore simple to repair in most cases.

They are able to work on all three energy sources because the cooling circuit just needs a source of heat (a bit counterintuitive I know). The gas is fairly obvious but both the 12v and the 240v are heater elements as well. I don't know your make of fridge but this page lists a range of Dometic elements for you to see the sort of costs.

http://www. homesteadcaravans. co. uk/cooling-refrigeration/dometic-fridge-elements-240-230v-12v/

LHDs point is that because many sit over the wheel arch there is a big step in the back of the fridge in order to fit. If going the domestic fridge route is it viable to keep in the awning? A little ingenuity can make it secure.

Bailey Olympus 2 460/2

LR Discovery 3 2.7TDV6