How Often Do You Part Exchange Your Van?

Our caravan is coming up to 4 years old in September. How often do you change your van? I know it depends on financial circumstances etc. I don't know if I should part exchange now to new Elddis Odyssey however miss the privacy windows or wait till van has 5th year service and water ingress warrenty expires?

Having waved goodbye to £12K in depreciation over two years by PXing our first motorhome I made sure I sold the second one privately and pocketed £4,000 more than the dealers were offering me.

Since then I've bought one Eriba privately and sold it for the same price 18 months later and then bought another one privately that's four years younger for an additional £500.

Following the dealers and PX route is a recipe for washing your money down the drain, fast.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

In 30+ years caravanning, we are on our 8th van. If you've got a 'van that suits you, and you are comfortable in it, why change? We probably would be only on number 6 but along came our two granddaughters so moved up from a 2 to a 4 berth 'van, first one was to a Compass Omega which bought brand new we hated from day 1, stuck it for 2 years and changed to our present Lunar Clubman which was 2 years old when we got it, will stick with this 'till it or we disintegrate!

Volvo XC60 D5 AWD AUTO. Lunar Lexon 570

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

2 x darling grandaughters and her

. .........28 years in. ................8 caravans. .............sold private 1, destroyed 1, part exchanges 5. ........likely be our last caravan so will keep it till. ...whenever. .........

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

26 years and 8 vans, is there a pattern emerging here?

2016 Ford Galaxy Titanium X

2016 Bailey Verona

1979 & 1983 Scimitar GTC's & MGB GT

We change when we feel like it! On one occasion that was after a year . .. on another it was after nine years.

2018 Swift Elegance 580  towed by a 2018 Volvo XC60 D5 Power Pulse R Design

This is a question I sometimes ask myself. I'm more than happy with my van. ..it is everything we want it to be and is lovely with it but as we have in on finance, I sometimes wonder whether I ought to trade in at some point but not being much of a financial wizard I don't know whether that would be beneficial or not?

Volvo XC70 followed by a 2014 Bailey Pegasus GT65 Verona

I sometimes wonder whether I ought to trade in at some point but not being much of a financial wizard I don't know whether that would be beneficial or not?

Put it this way it's probably never financially beneficial to trade in.

Overall a dealer has to make around £3,000 on a transaction to keep his business going. On some he may make £2,000 and on others, if he's lucky, maybe £4,000 but if he doesn't he'll quickly go out of business. So that means that anyone who engages in changing a van through a dealer will contribute at least £3,000. You can avoid those costs by selling privately for £1,500 or thereabouts more than the dealer offers and buying privately for £1,500 less than a dealer will sell for.

So if you trade in your van with a dealer you lose at least £3,000 and it's very unlikely that anything that might go wrong with a 4 year old van will cost £3,000. So on that basis it can never be financially beneficial.

However if you wish to trade in your van because you feel that a different one will be better for you in other ways then you have to weigh that against the certainty that you'll lose around £1,500 together with the difference in value between the old and new van. The dealer might try and dress it up with a good PX valuation but they'll stick to list price for the new one. Or they may offer accessories to sweeten the deal but you'll lose value somewhere.

So if I wanted a new Troll it will cost about £19,000. A dealer would offer me £9,000 for my current van and I'd have to find £10,000 for the new one. He'll sell my van for £12,000. If I sold my van privately for £10,500 I'd 'only' have to find £8,500 to fund my new purchase. Can I justify spending £8,500 or £10,000 on buying a new Troll? No!

A big dealer will make a substantial wedge if the van is financed, which is how the fast turnover businesses work, throw in a lot of 'freebies' to first time buyers, awning, aquaroll, new battery, gas bottle, waste hog, hook-up lead, step etc, and then screw them over on the HP.

Has the revolution finally begun?

Caravans are like cars in that the longer you keep them the more cost effective they become. Just because something is comming up to it's warranty expirey date it doesn't meant that it's about to fall apart or start leaking like a sieve. If it has been well cared for and lightly used it will last longer than one which has been heavily used with little attention paid to servicing.

Having the latest/biggest model, keeping up appearances, keeping up with the 'Jones's',etc. can prove very costly and doesn't always bring contentment.

John.

Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he'll tell you. If he doesn't, why humiliate him?

Caravans are like cars in that the longer you keep them the more cost effective they become. Just because something is comming up to it's warranty expirey date it doesn't meant that it's about to fall apart or start leaking like a sieve. If it has been well cared for and lightly used it will last longer than one which has been heavily used with little attention paid to servicing.

Having the latest/biggest model, keeping up appearances, keeping up with the 'Jones's',etc. can prove very costly and doesn't always bring contentment.

John.

Well said that man.

Manufacturers and dealers will try to tempt people to upgrade on a regular basis, particularly those they regard as gullible and with pots of money that they'd rather have in their tills. If having the latest 'look' with the odd new whizz bang is important to you then fine, but chopping a van in just because it's reached some arbitrarily introduced date will cost you pots.

Hi,

We simply change when we have a reason to change, though never before the van is 2 years old and often it is 3 years old or more. For example the latest van was bought because we wanted a fixed bed with an end washroom due to change in circumstances/conditions.

I am fully aware that to trade in will cost me money but I am willing to stand that loss for the convenience and the finality of the deal.

As always it is horses for courses and we all have differing needs and ideas how to spend our money so what suits one won't suit another,

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

keeping up with the 'Jones's',etc. can prove very costly and doesn't always bring contentment.

John.

My wife does not want to keep up with the Jones's. Oh, no. She wants to be the Jones's. ....

Has the revolution finally begun?

My wife does not want to keep up with the Jones's. Oh, no. She wants to be the Jones's. ....

:D John.

Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he'll tell you. If he doesn't, why humiliate him?

Very good. ...........and how many people do you know who suddenly change their 'van so that it is the same as the one their normal rallying mate has. ..........seen it dozens of times. .'Oh just a coincidence they say'........................

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Very good. ...........and how many people do you know who suddenly change their 'van so that it is the same as the one their normal rallying mate has. ..........seen it dozens of times. .'Oh just a coincidence they say'........................

geoff

Hi Geoff,

I just look on that as proving that we have good taste and the others are following our example :) .

We have friends who after riding in our Xsara Picasso went and bought one cos they liked it. They did the same with the C4 Picasso though they got the 7 seat version. The last time we went to see them they pulled up in a Galaxy Titanium X!

We (all four of us) laugh about it and there is no question of them keeping up with the Jones's as they are just not that type of people,

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

geoff

There's interesting psychology going on there, which I try to fight against because I know it's there. Mind I don't always win the fight.

A friend has an '04 Troll which is slightly different inside to my '05. After I got my van he had a look round, pronounced that he was envious of the one or two differences and spent a good 10 days debating whether to change his van to a later model. In the end he too fought against the gremlins in his head and much to his wife's pleasure, decided to stick with what he'd got.

Our caravan is coming up to 4 years old in September. How often do you change your van? I know it depends on financial circumstances etc. I don't know if I should part exchange now to new Elddis Odyssey however miss the privacy windows or wait till van has 5th year service and water ingress warrenty expires?

I have always found the ideal time too be between 3 and 5 years old.

peter.

volvo xc90t6/coachman laser 590/4 running at 80%

To be honest if i could afford to change my van every three years then i would, its always nice to have something new! but i don't have enough expendable finances to do that so i will stick with what i've got :D

Volvo XC90 D5 AWD, Lunar Ultima 615,Towing at 62%

You have a second chance at life it's called tomorrow!

Well, 15 years caravanning - Gave away one to my brother in Law - sold one and now we have the BO in which I shall probally and hopefully die in my sleep - after a few good drinks.

I would like to go this way can't think of anything better.

Is this a good subject for a posting - "How would you like to die?" :D

I dare someone

BO

Is this a good subject for a posting - "How would you like to die?" :D

I dare someone

Go on then. .

I'd like to die in my sleep like my dear old pappy. ..

. ..not like his passengers, screaming an' hollering. .

(I know it's an old one, but you did ask)

I look after my 15 year old van (had it 2 years so far), anything that needs doing is done and no problems with damp (fingers crossed for the future!). I don't see the point in swapping it for something I don't know and could have no end of problems. Like others we'll have it until the kids don't want to come anymore and we downsize or it falls apart.

Ford Mondeo TDCi 2005 and Sterling Voyager 500L 1997

:)

Our first van was 4 years old. We didnt change because it was "time" or were really looking to change straight away. My wife wanted a fixed bed but didnt want to pay loads to swap. When we looked in one of the Bailey Olympus vans sitting at one of the dealers she liked the van and a few weeks later we were taking our van for it's 4 year service. As we got to a nearby site a day early we just went to have a look round. There was a bright new Olympus 534 sitting there. She went in and had a look and really liked it. The salesman came over usually a bad thing for Louise as she would rather pull teeth than talk to a salesman. . But he was polite and not pushy, so we just had a chat and we said we were only over because we were bringing in our van for a service the folowing day. He asked what we had etc and offered us a deal, I think he may have had someone asking about a van like ours so probably had a sale lined up if we did the deal as we later saw our old van was on their website less than a week! The deal basically gave us £9000 for our old van that we paid £11,000 for new (£500 per year depreciation) and the cost to change was good as we had an alarm fitted, external gas point fitted, alko lozenge and the centre draws were supplied making it perfect for us and we paid £10 over the initial quote he offered if we did the deal that day. Plus he would cancel the service and we would not be penalised for not having it done. So we saved an extra couple hundred pounds on not having the service the following day.

This one is not going to be swapped just because it hits 4 years. ..

Builder of the Fastest Sports bikes in Europe. EX Nurburgring Lap Record holder 7m 17sec. 600cc of pure adrenaline!

Seat Freetrack, Bailey Olympus 534. Yamaha R1, Yamaha RD200 project, Aprilia RS250 trackday/race bike, Tuned 125cc Honda CRF50 supermotard, Ducati 900SS.

Hi,

Looking at this from an alternative viewpoint, If we all kept our vans for years who would buy the new ones which would filter into the second hand market?

What would happen to the manufacturers if we didn't buy new vans?

What sort of research and development of products would take place if there was few sales in prospect?

Questions, questions, but I think that those who do trade in/buy vans are helping support the economy surely?

I feel better about my personal trade in habits now :),

Regards,

Ian.