Do what I did. Fill your car with fuel, remove luggage etc. Phone trading standards and ask for the nearest weighbridge location. Take the car down and weigh it without you in it -Cost for me £10. From here you can work out the weight with driver etc.

Hey Neil,

Very wise words above. Dont panic till you try the above.

All is not lost yet

Pete

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would not be panicking in the slightest. I will wait to be lambasted but I have towed my Abbey Vogue 600 with my Volvo C70 on numerous occasions. It is not my normal towcar and I do adhere to the cars limit of 1500kg when using it.

Whilst I agree that a caravan is different to a trailer, some of the worst outfits to tow are cars on trailers (esp single axle) and it is quite common to tow over the cars kerbweight (but within the braked towing limit).

Take it for a sensible run and make your own mind up. I see enough 'repmobiles' towing twin axle vans and I think the Rav-4 is a lot better car than a 'repmobile'.

Although not the 'correct way to measure' (according to some learned people) it is true to say that the more weight you put in your car the more it weighs - therefore reducing the deficit. Very few caravans are towed with empty cars!

Edited by utccman

Despite all the excellent advice given by forum members far more experienced than I,I can't help but think that this towcar/caravan combination is not really suitable.

At best it is going to be a handful,and at worst dangerous to the owner and perhaps other road users.

Caravanning is supposed to be relaxing but I can't see how this outfit could do anything else than promote anxiety everytime a lorry or coach passes by or on a long downhill stretch,even with Al-Ko ATC.

When we purchased our Orion the dealer did a match via the Towsafe website and gave us a printed copy,did the dealer do this ?

I think I would be contacting the salesman and asking to see some hard evidence that this match is OK prior to paying my money.

Sorry to be negative but better safe than sorry.

Ian

To be fair you only have to glance at the manufacturers towcar adds in the caravan press - look at the X trail ad - 2. 2 tonnes of pulling power.

Lead and garden path spring to mind. I wonder how many people see that and purchase one together with a ginormous twin axle van and potter off assuming all is tickety boo. A fair number judging by the number of lightweight 4x4 tugs with large vans on the back.

Legal yes, wise probably not.

Bailey Approach 760SE
LandRover Defender XS

Range Rover Evoque

There are two points to note:

1. According to The Caravan Club 'Outfit Match' :

"The Club advises that a Toyota RAV4 2. 2D-4D XT-R 4x4 should not tow a Bailey Unicorn Barcelona (2011)"

• cross.png3 Kerbweight ratio: 110%
  • The caravan's laden weight is more than the car's kerb weight. There is significant risk of stability problems, especially at higher speed. The Police may consider this combination unroadworthy, and it is illegal for drivers with a standard car licence issued since 1st January 1997.

2. And as it states if you passed your test AFTER 1st January 1997 you BY LAW cannot tow anything that is heavier than the kerb weight of the towing vehicle (in this case 1584 KGs)

Edited by Millstone

Lunar Clubman SB 2013 following a Hyundai Tucson MHEV 4x4 2 ltr 185 hp Premium SE (2019)

I used to tow a 1715 Kg van with a SEAT Alhambra, it was 108% and I was quite happy with the match.

However I have over 25 years of towing experience. And even then I would not be happy with a RAV 4 and an 1800 Kg van. I know some people who do not consider a RAV 4 as something they would use to tow anything more than a small trailer. That said the manufacturer has rated it at 2000 Kg so as long as the train weight is not exceeded then it would be legal. If the train weight is not on the vehicle data plate then it will be the MAM of the car plus the 2000 Kg trailer.

IF you are freighting the car fully and keeping the van light you may be OK as long as you take your time and think well ahead.

Has the revolution finally begun?

As stated by many above I have been towing for 30 years and would not tow with that combo.

If you have to brake hard or take avoiding action then the weight of the van could cause you to jacknife puishing into you. its a case of the tail wagging the dog.

The salesman should have asked you what you were going to tow with. they hardly ever do all they see is a big commission on a big van.

Coachman Pastiche tugged by Mazda CX-7, Wine supplied by Sainsburys & sunday Times wine Club.

Guest Inner State

Whilst I accept it's not a good combination, why is the weight significant when braking? My Senator Wyoming looks after itself in the braking dept and therefore from a braking perspective to me the weight is irrelevant. Where it becomes very relevant is in normal driving and in particular during cornering.

J

The car will pass as it's cleared to tow 2000kg. I would be happy to pull with this combination but thats me.

Don

Towing limits quoted by manufacturers are only a guide and are based on the maximum load the vehicle is able to pull away on a 12. 1/2 % slope 5 times .

So any hills over that can be a problem in hilly areas .

IMO the vehicle will pull the caravan although on slopes it will need to use the gearbox . towing caravans of the size myself i would recommend a heavy weight 4x4 . Its okay pulling the caravan its when you try and stop is the problems .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

It will not be the first time a caravan sales rep has over-egged a deal to make a sale.

Yeah "dont worry sir that match will be fine" next customer please.

peter.

volvo xc90t6/coachman laser 590/4 running at 80%

thanks for all the replys. ..now found out its 110% on kerb weight,but also the towbar check shows its 160 % too heavy for the towbar. ..could job only put a deposit down,,back to salesman now !! :angry:

160% to heavy for the Towbar ? . The towbar for your vehicle will be tested and type approved for 2000kgs and for the maximum noseweight for the vehicle . That is a requirement by law .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

well, went to the top so to speak rang bailey head office in bristol,they said kerbside 110% towbar/hitch 162 % can pull it but might not be able to stop it. ...so we are now looking for a different van, but like idea of alde heating any ideas of which van have this heating or is it just baileys

Edited by seasideblues

well, went to the top so to speak rang bailey head office in bristol,they said kerbside 110% towbar/hitch 162 % can pull it but might not be able to stop it. ...so we are now looking for a different van, but like idea of alde heating any ideas of which van have this heating or is it just baileys

I should be looking for another dealers as well !! :(

Ian

Hi seasideblues.

I've been towing for almost 30 years and have indeed suffered the loss of a caravan through snaking. I posted elsewhere regarding the incident but I was well within the 85% guidance correctly loaded etc. etc. when it happened. I wouldn't tow such a weight but rather than comment on the legality, might I suggest that you seriously consider whether or not you will look forward to the towing experience as part of your sojourns. .if not then I would advise going back to the dealer and discussing possible alternatives. I don't think that towing at low speeds to aid stability helps stress free towing.

Gobur Carousel 12/2 TD

Coachman Amara 380/2

Swift Challenger Hi Style 425 pushing a Ford Kuga AWD

Hi seasideblues.

I've been towing for almost 30 years and have indeed suffered the loss of a caravan through snaking. I posted elsewhere regarding the incident but I was well within the 85% guidance correctly loaded etc. etc. when it happened. I wouldn't tow such a weight but rather than comment on the legality, might I suggest that you seriously consider whether or not you will look forward to the towing experience as part of your sojourns. .if not then I would advise going back to the dealer and discussing possible alternatives. I don't think that towing at low speeds to aid stability helps stress free towing.

hi been in touch with dealer as we have only paid a small deposit,we can get a full refund or look at another van . ..so all is not lost so to speak

Was it our local dealer with the same name as a famous soup!!!

Do what I did and you can't go wrong. Decide what your Max MTPLM is you are happy towing with your car. When looking at vans before going in look at the weight plate, usually by the door, if it's too heavey don't even bother going in it.

<p>2007 Sterling Cruach Cuillin & 2016 Volvo XC60 SE D4 190

Second post I know. ..but well done seasideblues for taking the objective approach. Hope your alternative choice suits you and you're not too disappointed.

Gobur Carousel 12/2 TD

Coachman Amara 380/2

Swift Challenger Hi Style 425 pushing a Ford Kuga AWD

Was it our local dealer with the same name as a famous soup!!!

Do what I did and you can't go wrong. Decide what your Max MTPLM is you are happy towing with your car. When looking at vans before going in look at the weight plate, usually by the door, if it's too heavey don't even bother going in it.

hi sam p

yes thats the one !!!! our previous van was a bailey oklahoma and was never a problem,great to tow etc etc

Just a thought - went to see a vanning friend today who bought a new lunar single axle van, transverse rear fixed bed, end washroom, alde wet heating - loaded. Cracking van inside and lightweight too. He tows nicely with a mondeo.

Clubman si springs to mind.

Maybe worth a look. ...

Bailey Approach 760SE
LandRover Defender XS

Range Rover Evoque