Mirrors A Legal Requirement But Not Much Good!

I have the obligitarory pair of mirrors that I religiously put on the Santa before each trip.

They are Milenco Aero flat lens ones which are supposed to be quite good.

However, in all honesty they don't really give me any better rear view that the car door mirrors, in effect they just duplicate what I can already see.

I can see sufficient without them but unfortunately I am legally obliged to have the additional mirrors.

Am I alone with this one or do other vanners agree? :rolleyes:

Willerby Avonmore previous kit VW Splitty Camper,Ford Transit Camper, Commer Highwayman, Sprite Alpine Caravan, Rapids Export Folding Caravan, Fiat Autosleeper Harmony, Ci Granduca Motorhome, McLouis Glen 432 Motorhome, American RV Trail-Lite twin slide outs 8.2ltr petrol/lpg, Lunar Solaris Limited Edition Caravan.

No you dont need additonal mirrors, the additionals are to make up for when your mirrors dont reach out enough.

X-trail and our wonderful Coachman Amara 450/2 Bailey Senator Wyoming palace!

I have the obligitarory pair of mirrors that I religiously put on the Santa before each trip. They are Milenco Aero flat lens ones which are supposed to be quite good. However, in all honesty they don't really give me any better rear view that the car door mirrors, in effect they just duplicate what I can already see. I can see sufficient without them but unfortunately I am legally obliged to have the additional mirrors. Am I alone with this one or do other vanners agree? :rolleyes:

No your not alone as i only fit them too satisfy the law as i have a 4x4 with large wide mirrors and can see perfectly well without them. You can talk all day about what your supposed too be able too see but the minute you turn right a few degrees for instance the n/s mirror is useless and same for the o/s when you turn left.

peter.

volvo xc90t6/coachman laser 590/4 running at 80%

No your not alone as i only fit them too satisfy the law as i have a 4x4 with large wide mirrors and can see perfectly well without them

You surprise me! Your car is narrower than mine (FL2) by about 70mm and your mirrors are 'inboard' of your bodyline i. e. your car is wider than the extremes of your mirrors, yet I find towing mirrors to be a 'must' - I certainly cannot see the rear edges of the van without them

Sam :beardy:

Range Rover Sport - Auto Sleepers Kensington

Get the extension arms for the Millencos, I got a pair and brill can see back corner now, Great for knocking cyclists off!!!!

Coachman Pastiche tugged by Mazda CX-7, Wine supplied by Sainsburys & sunday Times wine Club.

You surprise me! Your car is narrower than mine (FL2) by about 70mm and your mirrors are 'inboard' of your bodyline i. e. your car is wider than the extremes of your mirrors, yet I find towing mirrors to be a 'must' - I certainly cannot see the rear edges of the van without them
It makes no odds too me i can tow perfectly well without them. I may not be able too see the rear edges of the van but who needs too. Like i say try turning a couple of degree,s and see how much of the rear edge you can see then. peter. Edited by volvoman9

When travelling in a straight line you must be able to see at least both rear corners of the van, (the actual law will state markers which are placed in certain positions behind and beside the vehicle)

Have seen some very nice mirror attachments that add only 50mm of extra width, maybe that will suffice?

I never had mirror extensions on my car as it is wider than any other car and some 4x4's as it has 3 full size seats across the front! but it made it hard to reverse so always use both now. .. Anyway just not worth arguing in court over a fixed penalty and points?

Remember there is a max the mirrors can extend. .. I think it's no more than 200mm wider than the trailler/caravan?

PS. I was building a kitcar, and to pass a SVA test (even on a roofless car) the mirrors have to be massive to be able to see out to the side as well as behind without adjustment!

Edited by DeadMeatUK

Regards,

Kevin

Honda F-RV towing 1999 Bailey Senator Montana

. .. try turning a couple of degree,s and see how much of the rear edge you can see then. peter.

Agreed - nothing worse than motorway with slight left bend - just enough to make offside mirror useless and not enough to see inside the bend with the nearside mirror.

Sam :beardy:

Range Rover Sport - Auto Sleepers Kensington

It makes no odds too me i can tow perfectly well without them. I may not be able too see the rear edges of the van but who needs too.

The bloke driving a Landie today without extension mirrors probably thought that, the driver of the car that had to swerve to avoid him when he changed lanes probably thought otherwise.

Has the revolution finally begun?

It makes no odds too me i can tow perfectly well without them. I may not be able too see the rear edges of the van but who needs too. Like i say try turning a couple of degree,s and see how much of the rear edge you can see then. peter.

Let's hope there in not a Motor Cyclist who is by your rear corner as you pull out in front of him, madness!

I use Milenco Aeros which slightly improves the view, but I have the car's wing mirrors turned down a bit so that I can see the van's wheels when negotiating roundabouts and sharp turns.

My renault scenic is a fair bit narrower than your car and i can see the rear corners in the standard mirrors. What i cant see, which the towing mirrors allow me to, is the car smack behind my caravan - same car which watched me indicate right for a lane change, and decided to boot it past as i began the manouver - because i spotted this straight away in the towing mirror i was able to abort before i was too committed!

I have a large 4x4 and can see a rear view without the additional mirrors, however, with the additional mirrors (Milenco Aero) I can see even better. ...... so mine will stay on. ....and keep me legal too.

Isuzu Trooper and Lunar Lexon 530 EB

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle - Winston Churchill

Let's hope there in not a Motor Cyclist who is by your rear corner as you pull out in front of him, madness!

Thats his lookout not mine.

peter.

peter.

Precisely - if the biker is daft enough to sit there he clearly has little experience. Never assume people around you have seen you - ride around them keeping a safety zone around you. Expect the unexpected.

Bailey Approach 760SE
LandRover Defender XS

Range Rover Evoque

Precisely - if the biker is daft enough to sit there he clearly has little experience. Never assume people around you have seen you - ride around them keeping a safety zone around you. Expect the unexpected.

I always look out for everyone else as if they'd never had a driving lesson. So expect a biker to pull out and come screaming by as i'm about to make a lane change. My biggest 'lookout' has to be when slowly over taking lorrys solo, is to never sit in their blind spot (along side the cab) because you never know?

Regards,

Kevin

I have the obligitarory pair of mirrors that I religiously put on the Santa before each trip.

They are Milenco Aero flat lens ones which are supposed to be quite good.

However, in all honesty they don't really give me any better rear view that the car door mirrors, in effect they just duplicate what I can already see.

I can see sufficient without them but unfortunately I am legally obliged to have the additional mirrors.

Am I alone with this one or do other vanners agree? :rolleyes:

Its likely the reason you are not getting a better view is that you are using flat mirrors, you would find convex give you a much better view. Check whether your car mirrors are convex.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Niro HEV  for home.

Caravan Travels

I have a pair of Grand Aero's & have just bought the extended arms, I only wanted one for the passenger side as where we live we have to come up into a cul-de-sac with cars parked on the bend, I can now frighten myself when I see how close the back end gets to the cars. ........

Yesterday I had gone over to a local dealers for a mooch around, when I came out a old Landrover Discovery was collecting their van ( a twin axle of 2. 3mts wide) I then noticed that his towing mirrors were a pair of these

http://www. ebay. co. u. ..4#ht_838wt_1140

Not a cat in hells chance of seeing anything past the front of the van never mind the rear corners. ........

I always look out for everyone else as if they'd never had a driving lesson. So expect a biker to pull out and come screaming by as i'm about to make a lane change. My biggest 'lookout' has to be when slowly over taking lorrys solo, is to never sit in their blind spot (along side the cab) because you never know?

Absolutely drive assuming everyone else is an idiot. Which to be fair the majority of drivers on our roads are.

Some of the stunts bikers pull is quite frightening.

Bailey Approach 760SE
LandRover Defender XS

Range Rover Evoque

Get the extension arms for the Millencos, I got a pair and brill can see back corner now, Great for knocking cyclists off!!!!

As a cyclist thank you very much for your consideration. At least if you have a nearside mirror and you overtake me, you should be able to see when you are clear to pull back in and not take me out!

I just have to live in hope that some of the earlier posters on here who think they do not require extension mirrors can actually see the rear nearside corner of their caravan.

To see along the side of a caravan without additional mirrors would require most towing vehicles to have a width over the standard mirrors of something over 2. 25 metres. I would like to ask which vehicles exceed this width and so do not need additional mirrors.

John.

I use Milenco Aeros which slightly improves the view, but I have the car's wing mirrors turned down a bit so that I can see the van's wheels when negotiating roundabouts and sharp turns.

+1

Rugby is more than a game, Rugby is more than a posh school. Campion Way is not a wall, its a long walk .

Timothy Knight caravanner and living the dream :)

Absolutely drive assuming everyone else is an idiot. Which to be fair the majority of drivers on our roads are.

Some of the stunts bikers pull is quite frightening.

I didn't mean to single out bikers, I meant all road users!

Know someone that says that they have never caused accident but has had two incidents of cars running into the back of them at junctions. 'Not their fault'the person says. I'll leave it to you to make up your own mind?

Here's another 'thing' I do. . When stopped in traffic and there's cars approaching behind, I put a set of wheels on the white line so if the approaching car doesn't see me soon enough there is plenty of room next to me? I have had one incident where a car has screeched to a halt next to me and almost hit the car in front! that one time is good enough to prove it's worth.

Regards,

Kevin

Especially the ones towing without towing mirrors.

Steve W

2015 SorentoKX2 pulling a 2011 Sterling Eccles Moonstone

peter.

I'm sorry, but if you do not have adequate vision to the rear, the motor cyclist is overtaking you and is by the rear corner of your van, you change lanes and it is his lookout!!!!!

As they say, sometimes it's better to say nothing than remove all doubt.