Hi

I know there have been lots of posts regarding mirrors previously, but I was wondering what the best was for towing in the rain. The current mirrors I have (free ones with the van) turned out to be lousy when towing in the rain yesterday, so much that I could hardly see out of them - it was the first real test in anger & they failed miserably!

Any recommendations as to me its a straight decision between the milenco aero 2 or Grand Aero (convex or flat, not so sure). Also anyone know of anywhere I can pick them up at a sensible price?

Thanks

John

John

For your car I would have thought the Grand Aeros would be worth thinking about, Thats what I use on my Sorento. Can't say that I have a particular problem in the rain, had a lot of experience of towing in the rain when we went to Scotland last year :wacko: All I would say is it pays to wipe them before setting off so they are clear of rain drops. As to flat or convex there is much debate on this. I prefer convex, on both sides, because the mirrors on my car are convex and if I use flat (which I don't like anyway) I get a distorted view.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

Coat them with Rain-X.

Enjoy every minute of every day. It doesn't last nearly as long as you'd like, and there's no guarantee of coming this way again.

Before i retired i spent some of my time working at a large transport garage for my company and they had a fleet of hgv,s. Now i noticed that some of the tractor units had pieces of rag tied too the mirrors and hanging down so i asked one of the drivers what they were for and too my surprize the driver said that when travelling the rag was blown onto the mirror and wiped away the water as it flapped in the wind. Strange but true. peter.

Edited by volvoman9

volvo xc90t6/coachman laser 590/4 running at 80%

I polish my mirrors with MER. .. seems to work quite well at beading the water so it runs off easily.

FT

2006 Landrover Freelander HSE TD4 (remapped) + 2011 Sterling Celebration 550
No trees were harmed by this message, but several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

my blog. ..Caravan Chronicles Twitter: @CaravanChron

There is sufficient draw from the turbulence behind our grand aeros to just clear the mirrors and with rain x on the drops simply run off even stationary. Don't need to be travelling at 40mph at all.

Bailey Approach 760SE
LandRover Defender XS

Range Rover Evoque

When I bought mine (a set) one was flat and the other was convex. ...... never really been sure which one go's on which side. .... any idea's ?

Isuzu Trooper and Lunar Lexon 530 EB

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle - Winston Churchill

Flat driver's side, convex passenger.

Enjoy every minute of every day. It doesn't last nearly as long as you'd like, and there's no guarantee of coming this way again.

Even cheaper than Rain-X, Pledge or similar furniture polish is excellent. I use it on motorcycle helmet visors as well as caravan mirrors and the water just flies off at any speed above 10 mph or so.

Ian.
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Auto / 2005 Bailey Pageant Vendée; 1952 Norton ES2, 1955 Francis Barnett Cruiser 75

Any good wax will be ok. Do your headlights as well they will stay cleaner.

Audi A4 Tfsi Quattro, Bailey Unicorn Seville.  Sunncamp 220

Rain X vote here, but TBH, I spend most of time looking forward . ..

Power unit at front all the time, Van behind (hopefully) some of the time unless I'm reversing then it's all the other way round . .... Or is it?

If you did that on a driving test do you think you would pass?

I very very much doubt it. I would suggest 'most' drivers here would fail the latest test requirements in one form or another. As a trained HS police driver there are some amazing things alot of people are very unaware of.

as long as we all get home safely, it's been a good day.

Power unit at front all the time, Van behind (hopefully) some of the time unless I'm reversing then it's all the other way round . .... Or is it?

If you did that on a driving test do you think you would pass?

Do spend most of your time looking in the mirrors then ?

peter.

volvo xc90t6/coachman laser 590/4 running at 80%

Was told on my B+E course you need to be checking mirrors every 10 seconds, as well as looking in front and keeping an eye on speed. If you exactly what they said you would hardly be looking in front.

<p>2007 Sterling Cruach Cuillin & 2016 Volvo XC60 SE D4 190

I use some that look similar to these, i had them that long that i cant remember when i bought them. and with out a problem.

Not sure if there legal now?

http://www. ebay. co. u. ..=item4ab6313381

Edited by xtrailman

All - Thanks for the help, just gone off and ordered a pair of grand aero (1 convex & 1 flat) mirrors. Not cheap, but I'm hoping they are worth it

Am working on the basis that if the convex one is no good I can swap the head out for a flat one for just over a tenner (or vice versa if its superb)

Also going to polish or rain x them!

As ever, sound advice from you all, so thanks. ..

Do spend most of your time looking in the mirrors then ?

peter.

To be honest it is probably about a 50/50 split between forward and mirrors.

Has the revolution finally begun?

To be honest it is probably about a 50/50 split between forward and mirrors.

Hi Trevor,

Lgv drivers seem to spend as much time looking where they have been as where they are going at least they do if they want to pass their test.

I seem to remember that if you rub a freshly cut potato over visors and suchlike then polish clear then raindrops run off, but I wax polish them, along with the car side windows, which is very effective.

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.