Abandoned Caravans

We have just come back from a site in Whitby and passed a 2008 twin wheel caravan with all blinds down parked on the carpark on site it very very dirty as its been under trees site owner says it been on a seasonal pitch but he moved it a few years ago when they stopped paying why would people just leave it there

2004 land rover discovery 2 td5 with a 2008 twin wheel compass rallye 636

Morbid thought, but perhaps they died? The family may not know where it was!

Enjoy every minute of every day. It doesn't last nearly as long as you'd like, and there's no guarantee of coming this way again.

I would imagine that the caravan is on finance. If the owner has a change of circumstances and can't meet the repayments then they are unlikely to pay the site either hence why it has been moved. The finance company will want far more than the caravan in worth so selling it may not be an option if you cant afford the difference.

Maybe it was stolen

Isuzu Trooper and Lunar Lexon 530 EB

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle - Winston Churchill

We have just come back from a site in Whitby and passed a 2008 twin wheel caravan with all blinds down parked on the carpark on site it very very dirty as its been under trees site owner says it been on a seasonal pitch but he moved it a few years ago when they stopped paying why would people just leave it there

The members site where I leave our van had a similar problem though the owner was aware that if the van wasn't moved then it would be disposed of. So at the weekend it was stripped for scrap.

But where are the site owner's standards? Who wants to see a filthy caravan in the car park? Why do they not clean it up so that it at least looks presentable? It would not stop me going to the site but it may stop some as it gives a poor imoression.

Which site is it by the way and, caravan excepting, what is it like as we are going to visit the place again soon?

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

I just returned from a site in the New Forest and by the entrance was also a really filthy looking caravan with ripped awning, really tatty. The person staying in it was the site toilet cleaner!!!!

http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/gallery/image/4557-caravans-006/There are many reasons. ..Grumpy Auld Smeesh put some photos on the gallery not so long ago of a Bailey Pageant Bretagne. ..nice looking van, or it would be if it wasn't coated in green tree stuff. ..it was on the storage place he uses and said it hadn't moved for a few years. ...according to rumour the owners divorced and could not agree who should get the caravan. ...what a waste. :( Edited by sprite

Volvo XC70 followed by a 2014 Bailey Pegasus GT65 Verona

We get a few each year in the storage yard. Owner gets behind with their dues or dont show for months even after numerous letters and calls, we then have them sign the caravan over to us and we break or sell, you would be surprised at the vans that are abandoned, there is a tidy 1992 Elddis 4-berth going that way this week.

http://www. caravanta. ..7-caravans-006/There are many reasons. ..Grumpy Auld Smeesh put some photos on the gallery not so long ago of a Bailey Pageant Bretagne. ..nice looking van, or it would be if it wasn't coated in green tree stuff. ..it was on the storage place he uses and said it hadn't moved for a few years. ...according to rumour the owners divorced and could not agree who should get the caravan. ...what a waste. :(

Mr Smeesh and i were at the yard a few weeks ago and it was gone.

Gem Caravans (Fife) Ltd.

ALL MAKES SERVICING AND REPAIRS

BAILEY TRANSIENT WARRANTY, LUNAR AND COACHMAN WARRANTY

www. gemcaravancare.co.uk 07803 922945

WORKSHOP NOW OPEN

Unlikely to be stolen as the site owner moved it when the caravan owner stopped paying.

I meant by the people who sited it there in the 1st place . ..... ie the 'owner' who stopped paying. 2008 model is worth some serious dosh so there has to be some explantion as to why it was abandoned.

Edited by Richiebuoy

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle - Winston Churchill

I meant by the people who sited it there in the 1st place . ..... ie the 'owner' who stopped paying. 2008 model is worth some serious dosh so there has to be some explantion as to why it was abandoned.

Could be the owner has gone to the great caravan park in the sky!!!!!

Coachman Pastiche tugged by Mazda CX-7, Wine supplied by Sainsburys & sunday Times wine Club.

It was on a site called lady cross plantation site owner has written to them and also phoned (I believe they were a couple with 2 kids )

2004 land rover discovery 2 td5 with a 2008 twin wheel compass rallye 636

possibly money troubles. ...with the amount of redundancies in the last year and planned I wouldn't be surprised if this becomes more common :(

I know someone who abandoned an elderly Sprite Alpine on a laybye in France as they did not want it any more. They left a note "Free to a Good Home"

Edited by David in Cheshire

David

Various vans 78-2019,  currently  Hobby Excellent 540 FU and Mercedes E220 CDI Estate

www. caravan-europe. co. uk

It was on a site called lady cross plantation site owner has written to them and also phoned (I believe they we a couple with 2 kids )

Hi Darren,

Thanks for the information, I know the site well,

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

Sometimes get them on the Woodhead Pass (A628 trans-pennine route) left near the summit in a layby with the number plate removed. ...sometimes causes problems in high winds when they can be blown across the road into passing traffic.

Could be the owner has gone to the great caravan park in the sky!!!!!

Not seen any reviews on that one. ........ :)

possibly money troubles. ...with the amount of redundancies in the last year and planned I wouldn't be surprised if this becomes more common :(

I cant really see why money troubles or as some else said having the van on finance would make anybody abandon a valuable item :mellow:

May be it was ours !! we had a 2008 twin axle van stolen in early 2010 that was never found.

peter.

volvo xc90t6/coachman laser 590/4 running at 80%

About 15 years ago we had a caravan in store that owner wouldn't pay for any more. .by no means a new one. .probably built in early 60's and was never used in the two years in store. We had a lien against them for payment and advised more than once that it would be sold to defray costs. It was pulled out of the warehouse and some visitors to the site asked who owned it and how much did they want for it!..........they were told the story and offered £50 there and then and would be back later to collect.

The following morning it had gone. ..or most of it had! A security man said that they hitched it up and took it off site,just,stripped the aluminium off the sides pulled it to some waste ground and fired it!....when the flames had died down they removed the chassis and left the rest!

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

I hate seeing abandoned caravans of any age, if I had a big yard I'd take them all to work on!

Compass Shadow 1988