Problems Towing Twin Axles?

Hi all

My good lady and myself went window shopping yesterday for our new caravan, and she/we fell in love with the Bailey Bologna twin axle.

Now i`m not what i would call an old hand at towing having only towed our first and still existing Abi Jubilee (1990).

So i was wondering if i could pick the brains of you knowledgeable folk and ask what problems i am likely to come up against towing a twin axle?

Thanks

Adam

The one big problem is weight. You will need a reasonably heavy car to tow it. Fuel consumption is then a consideration.

Some sites are not very happy about them as they tend to ruin pitches.

Having said that they do tow slightly better but with the new chassis on single axles I am not sure that is the case anymore.

Means you would have to have twoo movers instead of one and if it has the Al-Ko lock you will have great fun with it putting one on each wheel!!

Most layouts that are done in twin axle are also done in single so I would look around.

After 40 years of caravanning I would not buy another twin axle due to poor manoeuvring.

Only one opinion and others will have another viewpoint I am sure.

Much more stable to tow, never ever had a problem getting onto any site here or abroad, easy to move around with the correct mover fitted, not a problem.

Phil.

Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
Mine : Mercedes GLC 250d AMG, Lunar Clubman SB, Rockwood 5th Wheel Trailer, La Manga Spain.

I have towed twins for thousands of miles, and yes they are much more stable, especially when a truck passes close etc, having said that the extra few feet that you will gain on internal lenght is really not worthwhile, they are an absolute pig too manourve without the necessary movers, again more expense, given the choice today its single axle every time, our magnum is 23ft 10", the Avante 636 i had just short of 27ft, yet the Magnum is designed better and more suited to us, but personal choice i guess if the boss wants it and then you have no choice!

Currrent outfit. . Volvo V70 + Compass Magnum Classic 540

pros.

Less snaking

Less pitching (bounce)

Tyres are much cheaper but you have to by 4 of them! (my van is fitted with car tyres 475Kg)

Safer in the event of a blowout

A bit vain but I like the look of them

Nose weight is easier to maintain

Cons.

Higher servicing costs

Hard to maneuver by hand (unless you raise or lower the front enough to lift the weight off 1 axle)

Some insurance's state both axles must have wheel locks

Some sites don't allow them (I have never come across one though!)

I have towed with both and would not want to go back to single axle

Regards,

Kevin

Honda F-RV towing 1999 Bailey Senator Montana

pros.

Less snaking

Less pitching (bounce)

Tyres are much cheaper but you have to by 4 of them! (my van is fitted with car tyres 475Kg)

Safer in the event of a blowout

A bit vain but I like the look of them

Nose weight is easier to maintain

Cons.

Higher servicing costs

Hard to maneuver by hand (unless you raise or lower the front enough to lift the weight off 1 axle)

Some insurance's state both axles must have wheel locks

Some sites don't allow them (I have never come across one though!)

I have towed with both and would not want to go back to single axle

I agree with you Kevin up to your last statement, I thought I would not return to a single axle, but did after buying my current 2010 Pastiche, it tows better than my twin Amara, the single axle is 2" wider and 1" longer.

2013(13) Sorento KX2 2. 2 Diesel Manual, (With smelling clutch) Glittering Metal (Metallic Grey) dragging a 2020 Coachman VIP 520 with a Powrtouch Evolution Motor Mover (Towing @ 80. 0%) :)

1288275170_2019VIP.jpg.775f2d8ce7b26db242e04a2e77903cd0.jpg

i am not aware of ever having ruined a pitch with my TA. i have towed single axle vans and i do not think i would have one if a twin was an alternative choice.

Has the revolution finally begun?

Guest Inner State

I've only ever towed twin axles and never had a problem with sites or manouvering. My first one a 95 Swift Conqueror was easy to manouvre IF you had it moving at the time, it wont turn on it's axis like a single axle but if you're moving it forwards or backwards whilst trying to turn it was easy. My current Bailey has movers fitted and thats so easy to manouvre, anywhere, anytime and turn almost on it's axis.

I too much prefer the look of twin axles and if you ever experience a blow out with one you would never want a single axle, I had a blow out on my Conqueror and was totally unaware until a passing motorist waived me down.

Go for the twin.

J

i prefer twin axle vans . they tow so much better, we moved 9 last year for customers long distance, and so much prefered them, as for revercing, i prefer twins,

inner state has a good point too, with the blow out, also most single axle vans run at the max weight per tyre, where twins are not,

but you need the tow car, and need the power to pull it,

Fully Mobile Aws Servicing and Repairs Covering the East Midlands

Nottinghamshires Happiest mobile enginers

And a helpful Safefill Dealer

Had single and twin axle vans and the twins have always towed better through sheer weight and the stability of the twin wheels.

peter.

volvo xc90t6/coachman laser 590/4 running at 80%

Hi,

I've got a twin axle, no motor mover and i've had no issues manouvering it by hand at present just don't try and spin on it's axle, tows fine but it's nice to know if i have a blowout theres that extra wheel to rely on. Towed a single before and this seems more stable but this may be down to weight, upto now no issues with sites but tend to ask when booking.

Volvo XC90 D5 AWD, Lunar Ultima 615,Towing at 62%

You have a second chance at life it's called tomorrow!

We have towed both single and twin, prefer the towing with the twin, and only encountered one site that doesn't allow ta and that's one in Paris. We do however have a motor mover as no way could we shift this one by hand

Landcruiser LC3 or Mercedes Vito - hauling Elddis Crusader Tempest

Have to agree with the others, a twin for me regarding stability, the extra length it allows is also excellent. ..

Volvo XC60 & Hobby Premium 540efu

Hi,

I've got a twin axle, no motor mover and i've had no issues manouvering it by hand at present just don't try and spin on it's axle, tows fine but it's nice to know if i have a blowout theres that extra wheel to rely on. Towed a single before and this seems more stable but this may be down to weight, upto now no issues with sites but tend to ask when booking.

Hi Harvomark,

You have the caravan that I'm building up to. Buying a slightly newer one each year. How long have you had it and have you had any problems?

Regards,

Kevin

Honda F-RV towing 1999 Bailey Senator Montana

new vans are long and light so a single axle is all thats needed servicing is less as you would think less tyers brakes etc,etc if you get the euro chassie delta like (adria) you would see the advance in handerling on a single is very much more advanced so why get a twin my own appinion.

the only time you can cause damage to the sites grassed areas with a twin is when making 90degree turns or screwing

the van around making the rear axle slide

i feel a lot safer with a 1900kg trailer with 4 wheels and 4 brakes never had a problem with site in uk or europe because we check

that out first even been on a site in the middle of paris bois de bolougne

and i have no motor mover fitted

Having towed both, (owning a single axle, and borrowing a 6 meter plus twin axle) I really do appreciate the steadfastness of the twin axle.

It just doesn't deviate from the tow vehicle.

When the trucks or buss's pass me, I get very minimal feeling from the caravan.

It doesn't bounce up and down over hollows or bumps in the road. .

Reversing I seem to remember was not as easy with the single axle as the twin axle.

The thought of a blow out with a single axle, makes me shudder.

With a twin axle, I feel I have more of a chance of keeping the caravan upright, and in one piece.

I like the look of the twin axle, it just looks so much more "fit for purpose" where the single axle just looks like a "pull me along"

The maneuvering onto pitches isn't as difficult as many folk would let you think.

Would I buy a single or a twin axle, well without doubt, it would be the twin axle every time.

I guess I would go for the big Hobby like NickJ has, that to me is the ideal caravan.

All just my opinion

Yantai China, Okpo South Korea, Cape Town South Africa, Aberdeen U. K. , Oslo Norway, Houston Texas. Walvis Bay Namibia.

I have towed dozens of different twin axles and only one has ever towed smother than my single, and that one turned out to be overweight by over 300Kgs!!

I've nothing against T/As, and I wouldn't be put off buying a van because it's a T/A, BUT I don't feel that they are any better than a good single axle van and in my experience not as smooth to tow.

But each to his own!!

dani1.png.612d6e01077fc019922e7ab4766586f5.png

Land Rover Discovery 4 SDV6 (2015) towing Adria Adora Danube (2013)

LFLWS.png.e8d3e7541fd366f848642c52fd56294d.png

Caravan & Motorhome Servicing & Repairs in Gunthorpe, Nottinghamshire

Excellent for towing !! . If you need to maneuver they can be a bit more difficult as they have to be shuffled using a mover but can easily be turned using a towcar . Which do i prefer well I have 9 trailers and 7 are twin axles .

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Adam.

What tow vehicle do you have in mind should you go down the Twin Axle route?

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front - Discovery 4. Wheels at the back - Bessacarr 845.

Adam.

What tow vehicle do you have in mind should you go down the Twin Axle route?

Let's hope it's not some of the examples i've seen pulling Super Scirrocos and Hobby's

3 door Golf

Old shape Citroen Picasso

Vauxhall Astra

Lunar Solaris 524

Having now had two of each, much prefer the twin, for stability and room.

Our Lexon doesnt have a mover on it, and not had an issue so far, our last twin did have a mover on it ( came fitted ) I did use it to tweak on site or play but tendered to position using tow car.

It certainly works on reversing skills :)

2004 Mercedes 270ML Inspiration towing a 2007 Lunar Lexon SB

I like the feeling of space in the TA Bailey 620 I have. I did look at singles with a similar layout but they came across as too cramped. The van tows excellently and as yet I've had no issues. Some have commented on the 98% weight ratio but this hasn't caused any issues either.

Your van will come with AL-KO wheel locks and they can be a pain to fit. I have found the quickest way is to just jack up the van while it's still attached to the towing vehicle (Caravan handbrake off) and then just spin wheels in to perfect position. Got it down to a fine art now and takes about 5 mins. I have a mover fitted and so far have used it once to move the caravan a few inches, nothing I couldn't have done with the car just wanted to use the mover.

No issues with sites. Some dealers were trying to put me off the twin with scare stories about sites refusing twins. This is proving to be salesmanship lies.

Don

As long as you have a tow car that can legally tow the weight with 2 litres plus of engine you really should go for the caravan, anything else will feel like second best.

The Tug: 2011 BMW X6 40d

The Van: 2012 Bailey Olympus II 620-6 with Powrtouch Evolution Mover.