Laptop Tv

Beeco

I've seen an article in the Caravan club magazine about using a laptop computer for watching the telly, and it got me thinking it's a good idea, small, compact and light ( as against useing a TV and video player) it also suggested a sat-nav system.

I'm don't want internet but would like the TV and sat-nav ; now here's the question, What would be the minimum requirements on a laptop to do this, starting from basic to best, and do'es anyone use this system ?

I've seen an article in the Caravan club magazine about using a laptop computer for watching the telly, and it got me thinking it's a good idea, small, compact and light ( as against useing a TV and video player) it also suggested a sat-nav system.

I'm don't want internet but would like the TV and sat-nav ; now here's the question, What would be the minimum requirements on a laptop to do this, starting from basic to best, and do'es anyone use this system ?

42181[/snapback]

Hi

I use a Hauppage WinTV USB for the TV which works very well; cost about £40 as I re-call. You can now get a digital version for not a lot of money more. Specification of the laptop doesn't need to be anything particularly special as long as it supports USB. Of course you've also got the option of a DVD if the weather is bad!

Using the Laptop for Satnav at its simplest would mean getting a copy of Autoroute for about £30 and a GPS receiver for about the same money. I haven't gone down this route as I reckon something like TomTom on a PDA is probably more useful. Putting the laptop in the car everytime I want to go somewhere would get a little tedious. Nevertheless, £60ish as opposed to £300ish it is a much more expensive route.

Using the Laptop for Satnav at its simplest would mean getting a copy of Autoroute for about £30 and a GPS receiver for about the same money.    I haven't gone down this route as I reckon something like TomTom on a PDA is probably more useful.   Putting the laptop in the car everytime I want to go somewhere would get a little tedious.   Nevertheless, £60ish as opposed to £300ish it is a much more expensive route.

42184[/snapback]

Hi,

We went along the route of using TomTom on my works PDA, a top of the ranger iPaq4700, and I got the GPS receiver from E-Bay for about £45. 00, then spent a bit more on a decent window mount. The set-up works well enough, but the TomTom software is a bit tempremental with the iPaq's VGA sceen and crashes lots, requiring a reboot of the iPaq. I've even updated to version 5. 10 and it still crashes.

We are also looking at using the laptop for TV use. We were about to but a LCD TV, but one of my kids asked about using the laptop, and they use that for watching movies when we take the van out.

Might look into the USB devices. If anyone else is looking, try http://www. ebuyer. com, as they are usually the cheapest places to order from.

Cad

Hi,

We went along the route of using TomTom on my works PDA, a top of the ranger iPaq4700, and I got the GPS receiver from E-Bay for about £45. 00, then spent a bit more on a decent window mount. The set-up works well enough, but the TomTom software is a bit tempremental with the iPaq's VGA sceen and crashes lots, requiring a reboot of the iPaq. I've even updated to version 5. 10 and it still crashes.

We are also looking at using the laptop for TV use. We were about to but a LCD TV, but one of my kids asked about using the laptop, and they use that for watching movies when we take the van out.

Might look into the USB devices. If anyone else is looking, try http://www. ebuyer. com, as they are usually the cheapest places to order from.

Cad

42199[/snapback]

there is a patch for this on the tom tom web site . .....if you send the tech people a a mail of this fault they send you the down load

The quality for TV wont be quite as good on a laptop as it is on a TV, whether CRT or LCD as the panels are designed for PC use. Not saying it will be rubbish but not quite as sharp.

A laptop will cost you about £500 for a new one that has a DVD player and maybe £60 for a TV add on.

Where-as a LCD TV will cost £170 and a sat nav system (say from halfords) anything from £250 to £500, all of which pretty much do the same as the next. TomTom Go would be a good option (I run a IPAQ and Tomtom 5 at the moment).

SatNav on a Laptop isnt really viable as you have to position the laptop on the passanger seat (or on the passangers knee). If its on the seat you risk of it been embedded on the dash if you brake hard (difficult to secure on seat reliably), if its on a passangers knee then they get very very hot and the heat has been linked to medical conditions down below. Also, MS autoroute, although you can connect it to a GPS receiever, all it does is tell you where you are on that map (or your route), doesnt tell you what to do next. I think there are products out there that do routing via the laptop but wont have as much support as dedicated/PDA versions.

Another alternative is TomTom Mobile. This works on some of the newer Symbian (or smartphones). Although its a smaller screen than a PDA or dedicated system you do still get voice directions. Maybe next time you upgrade your phone you could get one that is compatible and then add TT mobile too it.

Hope this helps.

Steve

I've got that T shirt. I needed to replace my old TV so thought it would be a good idea to have a usb Freeview unit running on my laptop, Great idea, problem was the bolt on didn't support all of the normal features ie teletext - jam tomorrow. The biggest problem though was that I didn't get around to using the laptop for the purpose for which it was bought - business, I usually sit working on the pc and glancing at the tv but it was one or the other and too easy to watch rather than work. I've ended up getting a TFT TV and freeview box and can then work as I please.

• 2 months later...

i use sat nav on my laptop in the car, with the right set up it can be alot more useful and reliable than the tom tom, autoroute is hopeless as gps software , i obtain my software from http://www. directions. ltd. uk/moreinfo. php?id=1050, a Usb gps receiver from eBay cost around £30. 00, i bought a additional 7 inch lcd touchscreen from eBay that is mounted on the front dash of my car, this will plug into the rear of my laptop via a vga cable then the laptop can be tuck away somewhere under the seat or the boot with extended cables, the 7 inch screen repeats what is on the laptop screen and being a touch screen the laptop can be controlled, the screen also has 2 video av inputs i have mounted a reversing camera to the rear of my caravan i can view this on the screen through one of the av inputs