Equipment Overload?

How many of you out there actually know the TOTAL weight of equipment you carry in your caravans? Do you think you go over the user payload allowance, if so by how much? Just had a terrible shock when calculating all our stuff!!

Most of my 'Stuff' is seasonal so it gets changed according to the weather. No big awning if its not Summer.

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. Internet connected via 3 dongle Windows 7. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine.

LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,.Reich Move Control. Safefill Fitted. ,CT. Ninja (Hon) Flies the flag. Tyron Bands

Not Much Money but we do see life. Motto . Carpe Diem .

I just check the van with a CWC weight control which I know is accurate to 5kg on our van after checking it against a weigh bridge several times, well worth the £'s in my opinion as I was shocked the first time I checked the van.

Would you put your awning in your car also ?

Pat

"Mavis" 1992 Elddis Force 2 towed by 2011 Vauxhall Meriva 1. 7 CDTi - Just me and my dog

“Dogs come into our lives to teach us about love. They depart to teach us about loss. A new dog never replaces an old dog; it merely expands the heart. If you have loved many dogs, your heart is very big." Erica Jong

We are always near the allowance limit.

I set up a spread sheet so i can remove and add items as required.

I suspect most people are the same, but like to think the're not.

Pat

Ours always goes in the car, nothing goes in our van that we have to move to get in, make a cuppa, use the loo etc on a journey.

Pat

Yes. Everything that is for the outside goes in the car. Everything for inside the caravan stays in the caravan. This means we don't have to keep passing stuff in and out of the caravan when we arrive on site ! Plus the caravan is clear for when you want to stop for a cuppa on your journey, or when it is raining when you arrive on site in which case all you have to do is get the steadies down and jump inside !

2007 Bailey Series 5 Senator Arizona (4 berth, rear bathroom, side dinette) towed by a 57 Kia Sorento XS Auto with Kumho KL17 tyres, Reich Mover, Kampa Rally 390, Caravan Tyres : GT Radial Maxmiler CX 185/80 R14 102R.

Ours always goes in the car, nothing goes in our van that we have to move to get in, make a cuppa, use the loo etc on a journey.

Same here i always fill the car boot first.

peter.

volvo xc90t6/coachman laser 590/4 running at 80%

Same here i always fill the car boot first.

peter.

As Shirl250 says if it's raining jacks down Kettle on with gas, cuppa and relax, sort the electrics and everything else out of the car when it stops raining

I think I know the weight of the heavy items I put in the van, but all the other bits & bobs add up to quite a lot and I don't make a note of individual weights.

Last time I went to a weighbridge I was shocked to find the van alone was 120kg over the rated axle limit, but I deducted the 90kg on the tow hitch so I was only 30kg overweight - this should bring all the amateur physicists and barrack room lawyers out of the woodwork B)

Land Rover on SORN so not towing anything for a while

I think I know the weight of the heavy items I put in the van, but all the other bits & bobs add up to quite a lot and I don't make a note of individual weights. Last time I went to a weighbridge I was shocked to find the van alone was 120kg over the rated axle limit, but I deducted the 90kg on the tow hitch so I was only 30kg overweight - this should bring all the amateur physicists and barrack room lawyers out of the woodwork B)

Over weight is still over weight. ;)

I have done a spreadsheet and the calcs and now have a weight control to measure it. .. The two did not agree. The load on one wheel/ axle is/was very different to the other. Very very close to MTPLM when adding up all 3 weights (nose, left axle, right axle).

I'm happy I'm legal and regularly amazed at how much some seem to carry inside their caravans.

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.

We take very little with us when we go away, the porch awning goes in the car, poles in van, we take very little food with us, the very basics milk tea coffee bacon bread sauce salt/pepper and one prepared meal to heat up in oven for first eve.

I'm a bit ott on checking things so after each trip and before nxt trip I tend to thin things out a bit,

As a matter of interest what equipment is classed as user payload !!, a question I've been meaning to ask for a while.

Pete

2007 vw touareg 3. 0 v6 tdi altitude & 2013 swift conqueror 630. "near enough is good enough !!!"

I know within +/- 10kg the weight of the caravan.

That is 1500kg (the MTPLM) as we always pack the same stuff (in the same place), we test the noseweight at the start of every season (with a full load) and visit the weighbridge each year before our European excursion.

My problem is the GTW as everything that doesn't go in the 'van gets loaded into the car!

Awning (incl. poles), TV, Satellite dish, 4 holdalls (1 bedding, 1 towels, 1 1/2 for SWMBO and 1/2 for me!!), Alko jack, 2 x tool kits (mechanical and caravanning), food and drink we can't get whilst away (English Mustard, Curry Paste, a few real ales) etc etc.

Last year we were 100kg over the GTW 3 hours before getting on the ferry. ... gettisoned that lot (we live equidistant between the weighbridge and the ferryport!).

I now have a very short list of stuff that I quiz SWMBO about before departure from home.

How many bottles of water, how many makeup/washbags, how many shampoo/conditioner bottles, how many cans of diet coke etc etc etc!

It seems to get the job done!

HTH

G.

Edited by chapmag

As above we load pretty much everything in the pickup, awning, poles, food, bedding, 2 aqua rolls, wastemaster. The only things we pack in the van are basic food in the pull out drawers over the axle and a few towels, duvet and pillows.

Just transfer stuff to the van when on site. The beauty of an enormous boot on the truck.

Bailey Approach 760SE
LandRover Defender XS

Range Rover Evoque

I suspect part of the problem is that many UK makers have so little allowance for payload. In my humble opinion a payload of 150 kg for a 4 berth van is bluntly unrealistic. The other thing is they provide all these lockers and it is understandable that owners will fill them. My own van has a payload allowance of 370 kg and I fully admit we usually get close to that on the long trips, but I have cut back by swopping Calor for Camping Gaz, smaller battery and all heavy food is in the car with awning etc.

One rough check I did do was to crawl undeneath and look at the swing axles and see how far above horizontal they were. Min actually were just horizontal which according to ALKO is about right so still had some 'bounce' left in their 'bungees'.

Like others I have seen outfits creaking off site with the tyres bulging and you are fully aware that they are overweight, but any suggestions about removing some usually meet with a comment along the lines of 'it has been fine' or 'I am only going a short distance'.

Volvo V70 and Cristall Samoa 450

I use a CWC to check my weight and everything goes in the car . I would of thought a lot of caravans are overweight as its easy to fill lockers with unused items over the years .

I had a shock the first time i weighed my caravan as I thought i was well under my limit .

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Am I the only one who puts awning an poles et over the axle? Last time I put awning in my car back end of car bounced down a lot on way to site. Put in van on way home smooth tow no bouncing. I can't help but wonder is this why so many outfits this bank holiday seemed to be tipped really far down onto the row hitch . ? Too much stuff in car boot?

Adria Altea 542DK (2012) pulled by 2016 VW Sharan SEL 2. 0 Bluemotion 187

Am I the only one who puts awning an poles et over the axle? Last time I put awning in my car back end of car bounced down a lot on way to site. Put in van on way home smooth tow no bouncing. I can't help but wonder is this why so many outfits this bank holiday seemed to be tipped really far down onto the row hitch . ? Too much stuff in car boot?

A awning will weight about a fifth of most caravans payload and that can then limit whats else is in the caravan or put the caravan over weight ?

Dave

Oh no, another toy. ..

http://www. busyoutdo. ..ol-1000kg/p1090

Excellent piece of kit !! . .................but the caravan will go on a diet after you purchase one ?

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

A awning will weight about a fifth of most caravans payload and that can then limit whats else is in the caravan or put the caravan over weight ?

Dave

Excellent piece of kit !! . .................but the caravan will go on a diet after you purchase one ?

Dave

Totally agree I was shocked when I first used it even though the van was only just under it's max as I didn't think we had that much in it.

Edited by dave11a

Changed vans late last year and we took the opportunity to weigh every single item as it went into the new one (sad I know)

Now we have a full inventory in spreadsheet form. It's surprising how the weight of all the small things soon tots up.

Phil

Bailey Ranger GT60 510/4 2010 & VW Passat Estate 2. 0 TDI DSG

I used to carry two Lafuma recliners in the van along with a porch awning and canopy if the weather was nice and sunny.

Since I bought a CWC it all goes into a roofbox on the car,

One aquaroll now instead of two. One battery now the Solar is fully functioning.

For additional outdoor cover we changed from full awnings to a 260 porch with bedroom tent inside for Junior.

Calor Lites keep the nose just right.

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. Internet connected via 3 dongle Windows 7. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine.

LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,.Reich Move Control. Safefill Fitted. ,CT. Ninja (Hon) Flies the flag. Tyron Bands

Not Much Money but we do see life. Motto . Carpe Diem .

When I did my CC course we were advised that in the majority of cases the awning is best placed on the rear seat of the car,i. e. over,or very close to being over,the axle.

Ian

This seems a bit impractical advice as a lot of us have children occupying these seats!!

Anton

Anton