Pc Security

JohnDT

Advice please. My current 12 months subscription to Norton is now up for renewel but I have been told that the Mcafee system is better. Anybody had experience or can tell which is the better system. PC world have the Mcafee 2006 version on offer at the moment at £24. 99 but I can renew my Norton package online for £34.

John

Advice please. My current 12 months subscription to Norton is now up for renewel but I have been told that the Mcafee system is better. Anybody had experience or can tell which is the better system. PC world have the Mcafee 2006 version on offer at the moment at £24. 99 but I can renew my Norton package online for £34.

John

42122[/snapback]

Hi John

My Advice is to go for Norton, But I would not pay £34, Norton 2005 is avalable

for £17. 51, the only thing, if you are outside Manchester, then you might have

P+P

Try:

www. aria. co. uk/Product Category=45&SubCat=&Name=&Page=2&SortBy=

Steve

I ditched both and went for trend micro PC-cillon, cost around £30 a year and was recomended by our on line bank. Well worth it, firewall, anti virus complete security package.

I ditched both and went for trend micro PC-cillon, cost around £30 a year and was recomended by our on line bank. Well worth it, firewall, anti virus complete security package.

42131[/snapback]

My mate swears by it too :)

Fiat Rimor Europeo 69P Motorhome

I am currently using Norton System Works (including Anti Virus) with McAfee Personal Firewall, plus I also have the Microsoft Anti Spy installed - I have used the full Norton program and the full McAfee one - and now use a mixture of the two !! Next year when my subscription expires to Norton I plan on installing the McAfee system as it seems to be much improved on what it was several years ago.

Margaret

Margaret

I don't do technical !!!

Just me and my showdogs!!

I plan on installing the McAfee system as it seems to be much improved on what it was several years ago.

42148[/snapback]

Lets hope so then, cos it was pretty grim last time I saw it in action :blink:

Seemed way to restrictive and difficult to use. ..

I gave up McAfee this year as was unhappy with it but they still debited my credit card after telling me they would but finally got my dosh back.

But I cant rid my computer completely of their programme which is quite annoying :angry::angry::angry:

I use AntiVir antivirus software and Sygate firewall. These are free for personal use and are easy to download and install. Both seem to perform adequately without wanting to take over all your PC resources, which is what seems to happen with Norton, and more and more with McAfee too.

Personally I would not entertain either of those overweight applications on my hard drive. Most of the extra features that have come along over the years seem to be just an excuse to overcharge or to "get one over" the opposition.

Hi John

My Norton AV was due for renewal last month. My local PC [one-man] shop who had supplied me with the 2004 Norton told me that he had had some problems with Norton [no details]. He advised AVG [Free] + the other 2 mentioned above by Gizmoman.

I have been happy with the new protection and can recommend.

Don't waste your money.

Mike

Avast anti virus is free and good ;)

http://www. avast. com/eng/avast_4_home. html

42130[/snapback]

Ill back that one up. I used Norton 2003 and then updated that (online) to Norton 2005. I had heard that although 2003 was good, 2004 made some PC's slow down. After a few months of updates on 2005 it seemed to really slow down my laptop but not my other PC. Stripped it off, put on Avast and the laptop is now back at full speed.

Avast does seem easy to use and good

Steve

Ill back that one up. I used Norton 2003 and then updated that (online) to Norton 2005. I had heard that although 2003 was good, 2004 made some PC's slow down. After a few months of updates on 2005 it seemed to really slow down my laptop but not my other PC. Stripped it off, put on Avast and the laptop is now back at full speed.

Avast does seem easy to use and good

Steve

42326[/snapback]

Hi All

I use the following protection on the compters ( I am lucky that a have a son thats a computer "nerd " and works for the big telephone company in research and development )

I beleve if its Free use it, thats what the Nets about !! , free help and information

Sygate personel Fire wall ( this replaced Zone Alarm now concidered dated )

Avast on line real time scanner Anti virus

Microsoft Anti spyware

Spy Blaster

Spybot

AVG

Ad- ware Se protects / blocks adware

Mozilla Firefox more secure ( independent of Microsoft products) replaces I E

If I Have problems / viruses that get passed the above software I then use Symantec web site (owners of Norton ) for a FREE test of security and viruses

http://security. symantec. com/sscv6/default. ..id=ie&venid=sym

From the results found by Symantec I search the web for the correct method of removal of the virus Trojan Etc

Robo form to store personel information and names and pass words for various web sites

Skype telephone system over the net ( free telephone calls to other Skype users ie my 2 sons and my brother ) requires the Free software and a cheap microphone

Most of the above software can be down loaded FREE from www. download. com and all have ( that word again ) free updates at no cost its all free

I welcome your comments

Regards

Dave

Apart from the fact that I use AntiVir rather than avast that's pretty much what I use.

Firefox/Thunderbird

Sygate

AntiVir

Microsoft antispyware - currently free but that will change soon I believe.

Webroot Spysweeper (just for an occasional additional sweep of the hard drive)

I also use Regseeker for cleaning the registry. ...its been very good so far and I've been using if for over a year now. ..around once a month.

I use Mcafee Antivirus 10 on all the PC's on my home network, two PCs have windows Firewall, my net connection PC has Mcafee Firewall Plus and all have Spybot S & D. - OH and I use Mailwasher to keep all of the spam emails away.

navigator

• 2 weeks later...

I had McAfee and it was good, but the subscription expired and I've now got AVG which is free and I've heard good reports about it. All my friends that have AVG have recommended it and haven't had problems with viruses.

I was told by the guy that installed my XP that Norton doesn't work too well with XP. Don't know how true that is, I'm just quoting what he said.

Sharon

• 1 month later...

I used AVG for many years but had a problem with version 7. I also found that whilst it recognised a couple of virus it could not get rid of them. Eventually I switched to Norton and although I appreciate that it does slow the pC down I am more confident with it.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

Just in case the users of Sygate haven't noticed - this firewall product has been bought out by Symantec (ie Norton) and Sygate is no longer available. It would be worth checking that your version of Sygate is still doing its job and to think of moving to a more up-to-date product.

command anti virus

best ive had,cost around £25-£30 updates very regular,sometimes every day. has caught, deleted or quarrentined all that has appeared on machine.

best to have several virus checkers,some will pick things up others do not