Sign in to follow this  
springtime

Folding Bikes

I've got a couple of folding bikes off ebay - good prices & excellent condition.

Phillips Boardwalk.

Raleigh Boardwalk.

They are both around 12. 5kg each with 20 inch wheels.

To be honest the Phillips is better made and has higher quality kit on it.

Oddly enough they are from different manufacturers but are based upon the Dahon folders.

The reason I bought them is that I do not want to carry bikes on the car roof or on a rack attached to the towbar as it will upset the noseweight limit of the van.

Both bikes have 6 speed shimano gears and seem to be ok riding.

I intend to put both in the back of the Santa Fe when touring.

Has anybody had good or bad experience of these folders?

post-43771-0-76871700-1333816557_thumb.jpg

post-43771-0-75181700-1333816568_thumb.jpg

You may find some information here:-

http://www. atob. org. uk/

Fount of all knowledge regarding folders.

Ian

Has anybody had good or bad experience of these folders?

I bought one nearly a year ago. I took it with me to Spain during the winter and it was great. It lives permanently in my estate car strapped to the back of the front passenger seat. When I park on a beach or in a town, it's only a minutes job to unload it and prepare it for riding. I fitted a £7 Tesco computer to it and during my recent stay in Spain, I knocked up 160 miles.

It has an electric motor fitted into the rear hub with a 3 position switch on the handlebars. That gives a choice of full electric power, assisted pedal power or no electric assistance. I find the assisted power the best choice. On returning to site, I run a cable from awning to car and within an hour the battery is fully restored ready for next time.

I've always fancied the folding bikes but never tried them.

I've got a Dahon Cadenza full size folder. 30 seconds to fold flat and one more turn fo the same allen key and the handlebars can be put in line with the bike for storage or transporting in the back of the Kia. Wish I could get my Mrs to change to a folder as she has a Pashley Princess which weighs slightly less (but only slightly) than the caravan!!

Regards, Mike

We don't tow and are seasonal so the bikes are stored at the back of the caravan covered up, just thought it would be handy having folding bikes for if and when we shift sites although it's not often we do, or store inside when not a the caravan

I like the concept of folding bikes but I have been witness to some howlers of accidents with their forlorn riders being dumped spread-eagled on the gravelly ground !

I believe it is all down their centre of gravity that they are relatively unstable with a full sized adult in the saddle in direct comparison with normal bikes, so from what I have seen be very careful how you go around bends, most especially on loose ground or road surfaces.

Edited by bigjimmy

I like the concept of folding bikes but I have been witness to some howlers of accidents with their forlorn riders being dumped spread-eagled on the gravelly ground !

I believe it is all down their centre of gravity that they are relatively unstable with a full sized adult in the saddle in direct comparison with normal bikes, so from what I have seen be very careful how you go around bends, most especially on loose ground or road surfaces.

I have one with even smaller wheels and used it when I worked in Reading (drove to suburb and cycled the last bit). They are fine for low speed on tarmac, but I agree the stability is something to watch. I dont know but guess it is down to the small wheels and if you hit a pothole the front wheel can whip round.

I have been thinking of getting a second one to pop the two in the van. Should fit under the seats.

I was looking for a folding bike a few months back, and found one on Gumtree locally for £50. It's a Phillips 20" wheel version.

Now, it was purchased for the wee girl to use, dump the bike in the boot, and she can use it wherever. But. .. I then went on to buy another two, virtually unused 16" wheel folders for £100 the pair.

They all work very well, and are nice and compact (the two 16" bikes came with holdalls) I wouldn't use them anywhere other than paths, but then these ones are not built for offroading.

Some of the Bromptons and Dahons are obviously much better quality, but at £600+, they should be!

In my cycle, road racing past, I can just recall some people suggesting that Moulton bikes (http://www. moultonbicycles. co. uk/) were the way to go because of the advantages of their suspension. I actually tried riding one once but I just couldn't get on with it as it felt so very unstable all be it exceptionally fast in certain aspects of its performance.

I was looking for a folding bike a few months back, and found one on Gumtree locally for £50. It's a Phillips 20" wheel version.

Now, it was purchased for the wee girl to use, dump the bike in the boot, and she can use it wherever. But. .. I then went on to buy another two, virtually unused 16" wheel folders for £100 the pair.

They all work very well, and are nice and compact (the two 16" bikes came with holdalls) I wouldn't use them anywhere other than paths, but then these ones are not built for offroading.

Some of the Bromptons and Dahons are obviously much better quality, but at £600+, they should be!

Don't you believe it.

I have a Brompton,had it from new about five years ago,actually it was for Mrs. Tandem Man but she rarely used it.

The quality of the components and finish is absolutely appalling.

The paintwork needs forever touching up as it goes rusty and chips if you look at it,returned it to Brompton not long after buying it and they said there was nothing wrong with it.

The mudguard stays started rusting virtually from day one.

The mudguards themselves went all milky from water getting in,replaced them and the replacements went the same way.

The rear wheel spokes broke with monotonous regularity until Brompton admitted the spokes were rubbish and provided some Sapim,no breakages since.

It is a great shame as the bike itself is a good ride and the fold is really excellent but I wouldn't touch another with a barge pole.

Ian

I'm on my second Dahon Mu. I commute into London daily and use it to cycle to the station and then in to the office once I'm in London a total of about 10 miles a day. I think they are brilliant. 20" inch alloy wheels, Shimano eight-speed gears, fully adjustable seat post and handlebars and able to carry riders up to a maximum of 16. 5 stones and easy to fold up and weighing in at only 11. 8 kg. I'm 6' 5" and have no trouble riding it - don't find them unstable at all when riding them.

Totally don't agree: I have a Brompton and I LOVE it. A brilliant ride and faultless engineering and quality.

Sign in to follow this