Living In A Caravan

downward_spiral

I'm a 23 year old graduate who's feeling a bit disillusioned with city life and the general situation of the housing market. Basically, even if I managed to squeeze my way into the saturated industry of my study, I'd be lucky if I was earning half the amount needed to be entitled to any type of mortgage.

Because of this I have been thinking about living in a caravan. Sounds bizarre perhaps, but the way I see it, I would be better off owning something material until I get myself sorted out, rather than throwing my earnings down the pan by renting property. I personally don't need much living space, so it actually seems like a good idea.

I was wondering if anyone knows how feasible this would be? I don't really know where to start enquiring about this, and I don't even know if siteowners allow the use of vans for residential purposes. Has anyone here ever heard of such a thing?

What kind of site fees (including gas, electricity, and whatever else) would I be looking at? How do the local council deal with people who don't live in a bricks-and-mortar property? What about insurance and such things?

How much would I be looking at for a new or second hand static?

If anyone has any advice they can give, I would be really grateful!

hello . ..all the questions you have asked will be met with . ..we are not residential and (if it is you may have to wait 50 years to be eligable) our static's are a arm and a leg as well as the site fees. ...which can range from 1200 quid per season to 3000 grand like I was paying . ..my top tip for you is if you find a suitable site is to DO IT until someone says you carnt but you run the risks of being with out shelter for 2 to 3 months of the year. ..on a very well known site in the north west where site fees are in the 3 grand per year bracket. ..people where "allegedly living" in the static. but registered at other adresses although I have no evidence to back this up . .if you do find somewhere keep your head down and good luck

You can use a touring caravan, at touring sites, on a residential basis - BUT you'll have to move every 28 days as this is normally the maximum length of stay permitted. Caravan Club sites only allow 21 days although perversely their CL's allow 28 days.

One friend of mine uses a CC site as residential and just tows off for 1 night every 3 weeks. Other full timers I've met just keep moving every 3-4 weeks.

A pall of mine lives in his van four nights of the week and the others at home but his van stays put for the full duration innless he is going on holiday surly you will be able top find some site that you van could stay on and just spend a weekend every so often at your parents house or friends I would have thought, like others have said the one big problem is if the site closes for winter then you would be left with no were to go.

Regards

JON

ADRIA JON,

A pall of mine lives in his van four nights of the week and the others at home but his van stays put for the full duration innless he is going on holiday surly you will be able top find some site that you van could stay on and just spend a weekend every so often at your parents house or friends I would have thought, like others have said the one big problem is if the site closes for winter then you would be left with no were to go.

Regards

Hi all

A mate of Mine used to stay on a C & CC site, this was an all year round site.

All he had to do was spend a night or two a month around someones house, to cover the site with the Law.

His caravan stayed in the same place all year round.

He had to join the camping club, and he paid Monthly, when you concider that electric was all in and he had to replace the calor gas bottle possible once a month.

I think it would work out cheaper.

There was no Poll tax (community charge) to be paid, as this was not classed as permanant.

I know if I was on a low income, I would do it, I love camping.

peter

I'm a 23 year old graduate who's feeling a bit disillusioned with city life and the general situation of the housing market. Basically, even if I managed to squeeze my way into the saturated industry of my study, I'd be lucky if I was earning half the amount needed to be entitled to any type of mortgage.

Because of this I have been thinking about living in a caravan. Sounds bizarre perhaps, but the way I see it, I would be better off owning something material until I get myself sorted out, rather than throwing my earnings down the pan by renting property. I personally don't need much living space, so it actually seems like a good idea.

I was wondering if anyone knows how feasible this would be? I don't really know where to start enquiring about this, and I don't even know if siteowners allow the use of vans for residential purposes. Has anyone here ever heard of such a thing?

What kind of site fees (including gas, electricity, and whatever else) would I be looking at? How do the local council deal with people who don't live in a bricks-and-mortar property? What about insurance and such things?

How much would I be looking at for a new or second hand static?

If anyone has any advice they can give, I would be really grateful!

42084[/snapback]

Hi maybe if like said earlier you can find a site that opens 12mths of the year and get a seasonal pitch you can do this, and every couple weekends stay with parents or friends and keep all your post directed to your parents house you maybe able to get away with it, but i would think your initial costs are not going to be cheap, buying a van, insuring it, site fee's, i should imagine you would want something half decent if it was going to be your home ? You maybe able to get your site fee's down by offering to do some wardening ? for the site, or pay it in installments, no offence to you but i wouldn't go down this road you might end up wasting alot of money on getting the caravan and everthing to go with it and the same amount of money might have been enough for a deposit on a property ? best of luck .

My wife and I have just sold our home and will be living in our caravan for several months. We got fed up with high council tax, yobs scratching or damaging the cars, setting the garages on fire, kids screaming and swearing etc.

The site we have chosen allows you to stay on site for 12 months but then you pay council tax, however if you gap it for a month, no council tax as you are not deemed to be permanent.

The beauty about living in the caravan is that if you don't like the neighbours you can move or alternatively they are unlikely to be there for weeks at a time. Also the wardens have the power to evict unruly people not like where we are at present where the auhtorities just shrug their shoulders and ignore you unless you escalate the issue.

Hopefully at the end of the road we will be able to afford to buy a static or Park Home ona sire of our choice. We both have several years to go before our retirement so we shoudl be able to save a fair bit in that period.

don't you get a kind of cabin fever? After all, its a very confined space to spend ALOT of time in. Ok in the sunny weather I guess as you can mooch about outside. I think after a while it would drive me nuts, but then we do have two small children and a dog :rolleyes:

hi, i have sold my house ( i hope)& am waiting to find a bungalow, i had wanted to live in my tourer till then, but finding an all year site near were i live colne lancs is proving very difficult the 3 weeks thing is silly, do you have to do this on an all year site? anyone know any sites, i would be very grateful thanks, san

Hi

I was in exactly your situation 20 years ago. a student fed up with paying rent to cover somebody elses mortgage and having to live with other epople who I was not S (well you know!!!)

I bought an Avondale flamingo and found a friendly CL owner who was prepared to let me stay all the time (I had to flit between two or 3 sites every 28 days for the first 6 months until one of the site owners decided I was OK and told me to stay.

I lived in this van for 3 years and apart from when it snowed and the water froze (not a problem nowadays) life was good.

I even found a company that would supply a 47Kg gas bottle at a fraction of the price of the same amount of calor gas in a 13Kg bottle.

The only advice I can give is that mould on the walls can be a problem in the corners where the heater does not touch and that you will need an on board water tank.

If you can get electric hook up, then that will make life better and you will then be able to get a covector heater which gives off a less damp heat than gas seems to.

I never has 240V and lived for 3 years on 12V ( and still watch the B&W TV every night.

The best bit of all was that I bought the van for £3000 lived in it for 3 years and after spending £100 replacing a few things that had sucummed to damage etc, I sold it in out local paper for £2525!!!

This gave me more than enough to secure a deposit for my first house and went a long way towards buying furniture.

All I can say is that I don't understand why more students/young people don't do it. ....I loved it. ............and things are MUCH better now than when I was a lad!!!!!!!!!!

I am hoping that we can go on a serviced pitch which may mean insulating the water pipe to the Aquaroll. We have looked at it from every angle and I don't really foresee a problem at the moment. The awning will be up so that will give us a lot of extra space over the winter.

Hi,

I've been using my van as a hotel for the past 4. 5 years now. I spend 4 nights on site and 3 off and I take it off site once a year for a week to get it serviced (July) and I take it off for the Christmas break. The site is open all year but only has a touring license so by moving off like this covers the touring by-laws, if I wanted to stay 7 nights I could only do so for up to 28 days. The owners do have another site close by that has a residential license but is only open 11 months of the year so the residents come over to our site for the 12th month.

I believe to be a 'tourer' you must be off site for a minimum of 48 hours every 28 days and the van must be taken off site for at least 48 hours once a year and another key point is that the van cannot be your only or primary residence.

Power is included in the site fee which is £13 a night when I'm there and £5 a night when I'm not - so £67 per week, I think the residents pay £91 per week (7 x £13).

HTH

Phil

thanks for replys on living in your caravan, i was only hoping it would be for a short time, as im hoping to get a bungalow to rent soon, as some weather is scary in a caravan dont you think & i dont fancy towing in snow, as i dont like driving in it, thanks again san

Archived