Sign in to follow this  
obarnes

Help Please! Water Pump Problem, On Hols Now!

Good evening all, this is my first post & we're desperate! Currently on hols in cornwall with 3 little folk & we've just replaced our whale submersible pump for a 2nd time in 2 weeks, albeit with an old pump but both worked fine for 2 to 3 days before our taps lost pressure, resulting in the pump continuing to drone on, almost until it wound down. We're now faced with buying another in the morning but wanted to hear your thoughts. Could it just be a coincidence or could something else affect this? Any help greatly appreciated, we need water!! Many thanks in advance.

You need to adjust the pressure switch.

What van and year do you have?

See this. ........... http://www. campingru. ..essure_inst. pdf

If the pump runs without water it will burn out. Do you have a Pump Switch?

I'm wondering if you have a power to the pump problem. Is you battery charging ok, it could be the 12v power is gradually decaying and not providing enough for the pump to maintain pressure to the taps and the pressure cut-off switch?

is it a micro switch or pressure switch the later i would think if so is any leeks in pipe work low battery .

If the pump runs then it's not the pump that's faulty unless it's run for so long that it's overheated or burnt out - it's either the pressure switch or a micro switch on the tap thats not shutting off the power. So you need to check what sort of system you've go - pressurised or switched.

If it's switched then you may have a sticking microswitch on one of the taps, If its pressurised then you are either losing pressure because of a leak or maybe the non-return valve is letting by, check the O ring wnere the pump connects to the van. It's best to investigate all these causes before fiddling with the pressure switch, especially if it was OK. Sometimes if the voltage is a bit low then the pump can't produce enough pressure to operate the pressure switch - could be caused by dirty or intermittent connections, extra drain on the electrics (TV or lights on etc) especially if you are running from battery and not an EHU

Good evening all, this is my first post & we're desperate! Currently on hols in cornwall with 3 little folk & we've just replaced our whale submersible pump for a 2nd time in 2 weeks, albeit with an old pump but both worked fine for 2 to 3 days before our taps lost pressure, resulting in the pump continuing to drone on, almost until it wound down. We're now faced with buying another in the morning but wanted to hear your thoughts. Could it just be a coincidence or could something else affect this? Any help greatly appreciated, we need water!! Many thanks in advance.

If you think it may be the pressure switch,I have a pdf from Whale that tells you how to adjust it along with a few more helpful tips.

If you want a copy then drop me a PM,might help.

Have had problems with a Whale pump myself recently and heard of plenty more.

Ian

make sure the flap is down when you connect it up at side of your van so it clicks and holds it in

Wow, this is great! Ok, starting with the easy questions!

We're running on ehu & we have a pressure switch. That was the easy bit!

So the first pump. ... we found our littlest bear waving it around in the air whilst it was running & while we were able to regain some pressure by adjusting the pressure switch, that didn't last long before we lost ALL pressure with the pump feebly droning on! We have given up with that pump & started with another (lent by my obliging mother) which has died this evening.

We've tried banging it both in & out of water (whilst off). When we turn the taps on, we get a dribble but then nothing though pump seems to continue to pump.

This is the first outing our van has had in a year & it's a Bailey Pagaent 2000. Hope this helps to be able to gain more help, thank you again :)

Thank you matelodave & just a thought, it was fine when we returned from our day out but then I turned on the heater, tv, lights & had a slow cooker on the go, could this have broken something despite being on ehu?

Thank you Ian, we'd love a copy but I can't email you for some reason my phone can't access that facility, can you email me at all?

Guest Delvey

If its not working with electrics on then it's possibly a battery problem

Turn all lights etc off, and try it

You can PM by clicking on Name above the Avatar and send message Email is not required

OBarnes,

I have sent you the . pdf,hopefully.

Let me know if you don't receive it.

Ian

whats your battry state as you turned on a lot off gadgets,

If the pumps running but no water is coming out of the tap, then the pressure switch is OK.

What you need to do is put the pressure switch back to the position it was when you moved it when fitting the second pump.

Then fit a new pump, but make sure it switches off shortly after the tap is closed, once the water heater is full. If it doesn't readjust the pressure switch until it does.

If the new pump still produces no water at a open tap, then check for a sticking non return valve.

Hi xtrailman, we managed to get the pressure switch to a perfect setting, filled the water heater then it switched off, likewise, after we ran the taps, it turned off within about 10 seconds. Any further thoughts?

Hi gump, we're on EHU, does the battery still count? Sorry, basic question I know!

Just looked at Ian's pdf and we have an in-line pressure switch, just incase that helps. One other thought, could the water filter affect things? We changed it over a year ago but the caravan has been in storage for a year, as mentioned, this is its first real outing in about a year. Finally, the o rings seem ok, slightly protruding but no leakage from that area.

"Hi gump, we're on EHU, does the battery still count? Sorry, basic question I know!"

To a small degree yes the battery still counts, as the battery charger/power supply is only a few amps and with lights and the pump running it will reduce the voltage (if the battery is dead) and the pump will not be able to achieve the same pressure as before, so will continue to run till it burns out or switched off!

That makes perfect sense, thank you! It has 13. 5 volts going through it but not sure of the amps at the mo but I think it's good. The storage had the van plugged in and trickle charged for the entire time it was in storage, however, we can test this properly when home, if all else fails :( !

Water back on now?

No, not even a dribble. We're now flooding the pump to try again tomorrow. Boo!

Morning all. So this is where we're at. ...

We've flooded the pump overnight & adjusted the in-line pressure switch with some degree of success. We have water which starts with good pressure but this decreases. The pump light goes out & the pump stops within approx 10 seconds.

It'll be interesting to see how it is on our return this afternoon but wonder if anyone might know what to do next to maintain pressure?

Thank you for all your speedy help last night, quite in awe of all your knowledge!

When the water and pump stops what voltage does the battery show?

I would be considering a faulty pressure switch to be honest.

Regards,

Steve

reading your last post sounds like a one way valve is sticking? which has been mentioned earlier. .. if it was the hot water valve when turning on both taps the cold water would spit and squirt as some of the water will back fill the water heater via the mixer tap.

So try this,

Turn on only the cold water tap only, it should bleed through and start working as normal. this will prove a sticky non return valve to the hot water?

And buy a spare pump.

I know its dead money but these pumps don't last very long.

My old senator had a separate pump for the on board water tank very useful.

And buy a spare pump.

I know its dead money but these pumps don't last very long.

My old senator had a separate pump for the on board water tank very useful.

Ive never had one fail on me yet!!!! in 25yrs of caravanning