Noisy Valves

MPVguy

Strictly speaking, this query isn't about my towcar but the Fiesta runabout. It's a 1992 model that's been through the mill but we were lucky to have it given to us a few months back. Anyway, it's got a 1. 4 litre CVH engine which rattles like a bagful of nails in a tumble dryer. I seem to remember that the CVH's had hydraulic self adjusting valves, on which you can't adjust the clearance. Has anyone since come up with a method of adjustment, bearing in mind it's an old car and I don't want to spend money on it replacing valves / head etc. I know that the car was mot'd and serviced and had the timing belt changed a short while before I had it.

When I were a lad, I'm sure I remember my father putting in some engine oil additive (STP ??) after he'd adjusted the valve clearances which helped to further calm down noisy tappets. Is this stuff, or something better still available?

Thanks in advance for any advice. :)

MPV,

If the negine has not been flushed out at each oil change,the chances are that the oil ways in the lifters could be gummed up. Using STP,Winns or any similar aditive is unlikely to quieten things down if the oil can't get into the lifters.

Frank

CVH's are known for both excessive rocker wear AND problems with 'black sludge' which gums up the hydraulic tappets.

If you catch it early enough (before the cam and the rockers wear away), flushing the engine and doing an oil change (posiibly twice within a month) will help.

Give it a wiz and hope for the best. ..if it fails, get a complete cylinder head from a scrappy for 20 quid.

Gav

Proper servicing is the way to avoid this problem, but you can't turn the clock back!

Use flushing oil every 20,000 miles during the oil change. It may be necessary to use it every change until things sort themselves out.

Use good quality oil to the same, or better, specification (Viscosity and ACEA / API grades) as the car manufacturer recommends. Only use cheap oil if you're selling the car straight away.

Use a car manufacturers oil filter. Cheap filters are made to a lower specification and the cost saving is negligible.

Extended oil change intervals don't help, I still change mine at 5-6,000 miles rather than the 20,000 recommended by the manufacturer.

Redex Injection Cleaner ( or Carburettor Cleaner for older cars) may help to clean up the intake and deal with sticking valves. Put some in the fuel tank, at the recommended concentration, and trickle some down the carburettor / throttle body intake while the engine is running at fast idle (but not while your neighbours have their washing out!)

Thank you all for the helpful replies. I shall try the flushing oil first, but as Frank says if things are already gunged up, can the lifters be cleaned 'in-situ' ?

Proper servicing is the way to avoid this problem, but you can't turn the clock back!

Use flushing oil every 20,000 miles during the oil change. It may be necessary to use it every change until things sort themselves out.

Use good quality oil to the same, or better, specification (Viscosity and ACEA / API grades) as the car manufacturer recommends. Only use cheap oil if you're selling the car straight away.

Use a car manufacturers oil filter. Cheap filters are made to a lower specification and the cost saving is negligible.

Extended oil change intervals don't help, I still change mine at 5-6,000 miles rather than the 20,000 recommended by the manufacturer.

Redex Injection Cleaner ( or Carburettor Cleaner for older cars) may help to clean up the intake and deal with sticking valves. Put some in the fuel tank, at the recommended concentration, and trickle some down the carburettor / throttle body intake while the engine is running at fast idle (but not while your neighbours have their washing out!)

42096[/snapback]

I agree with the above :) especially about the washing being out :lol:

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

I have an old 'S' reg Rover 400 1. 4 16v that is also a family heirloom, with the noisest tappets the repairers have ever heard - due to very low mileage whilst father-in-law owned it did 1 mile a day, 1/2 in morning and 1/2 at night for two years! In the last year I have tried all the good suggestions on this thread, but have now finally relented and am having new tappets installed and new MOT.

The only consolation is that it has performed perfectly with this, but the problem of late is that the radio is not loud enough to drown it out. :o